Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelnite

Zelnite Big Damn Hero

Its possible via smapi someone already done that adding new map.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

ok so eff that, I used community center refurbished for the base map so that's as unlikely as anything other people would want to mod.

Trying it now, taking that poor map and turning it into a monster.

As a complete aside, going back to notetab++ to change the warps from old map to new was clearly less painful an experience all round than dealing with tIDE.... opening a sub menu doesn't lock you out of messing with main window at the same time? Wot???

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
      • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I'm glad this thread now exists. I'm the creator of the Farm Expansion Mod and I've mostly had to work solo up until now. I've been experimenting with game locations since I started modding and I've learned a lot, I actually just had another major breakthrough this evening.

Posting this as a placeholder to edit later (gf needs me to run out to the store real quick).

Edit 1:
        So it turns out I've previously been going through all this trouble to edit tiles in an .xnb after it has already been loaded by the game, and the methods to do so existed in the code all along! I'm having issues with layer[3] though ("Front" layer), it either isn't populating at all or simply isn't rendering. Going to eat real fast and then get back to testing.

Also, it's apparently possible to add custom tile properties to tiles after the .xnb has been loaded as well. I successfully added a hatch that can warp a player absolutely anywhere they wanted.

Edit 2:
        Managed to correct the issue with the "Front" layer. Still haven't eaten yet, but Ima go do that and then clean up this new code so that it's simpler for other people to use.

Also, I was experimenting with adding custom tile sets earlier. If the location is outdoors, you may need to create 4 .xnb's for your tile sheets (one for each season and named "seasonname_tilesheetnamehere "). These go alongside your location .xnb in the content\maps directory. For other tilesheets, they actually need to be placed directly in the content directory. When I have more time, I mean to explore whether or not this can be circumvented and we can load them from other locations (simplifies installation for mod users).

QuantumConcious and BoffoBoy like this.
        • BoffoBoy

it still crashes... no idea.
          https://gyazo.com/1738eba97c421a53ab320763deda0012

this is so very very frustrating.

I made a sort of OP storage set up on the community refurbished map (lots of stuff to sample from) which is accessed from the bus stop another map unlikely to see much mod attention.

I removed all dependencies replaced what looked nice into this garish mess as the options in towninterior are very very limited and if I try to warp in, I get that error always.

always the same error. 32x 32y makes no sense to me, the warp is clearly

3 21 CommunityCenter_Refurbished 58 87

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

You have to enter the name of a game location in your warp point, not the name of a map file. Here is a list of all game locations with their names.

Location0 FarmHouse
            Location1 Farm
            Location2 FarmCave
            Location3 Town
            Location4 JoshHouse
            Location5 HaleyHouse
            Location6 SamHouse
            Location7 Blacksmith
            Location8 ManorHouse
            Location9 SeedShop
            Location10 Saloon
            Location11 Trailer
            Location12 Hospital
            Location13 HarveyRoom
            Location14 Beach
            Location15 ElliottHouse
            Location16 Mountain
            Location17 ScienceHouse
            Location18 SebastianRoom
            Location19 Tent
            Location20 Forest
            Location21 WizardHouse
            Location22 AnimalShop
            Location23 LeahHouse
            Location24 BusStop
            Location25 Mine
            Location26 Sewer
            Location27 Desert
            Location28 Club
            Location29 SandyHouse
            Location30 ArchaeologyHouse
            Location31 WizardHouseBasement
            Location32 AdventureGuild
            Location33 Woods
            Location34 Railroad
            Location35 Summit
            Location36 FishShop
            Location37 BathHouse_Entry
            Location38 BathHouse_MensLocker
            Location39 BathHouse_WomensLocker
            Location40 BathHouse_Pool
            Location41 CommunityCenter
            Location42 JojaMart
            Location43 Greenhouse
            Location44 SkullCave
            Location45 Backwoods
            Location46 Tunnel

QuantumConcious and BoffoBoy like this.
            • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

It looks like you're trying to do warps from the Map Properties. I've been doing it on individual tile properties and it works just fine for me. Like, I right click a tile (as long as its on the Buildings layer) and choose Tile Properties and then on the Custom Properties tab I make a new line item of Action | Warp 32 19 CommunityCenter and it makes the tile clickable in game and takes me to the spot I told it to (as long as its a spot I can actually get to, otherwise you'll end up in a weird place)

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

Lorekiss and BoffoBoy like this.
              • BoffoBoy

oh man so I have a feeling I need to move all this to another map then if there is only one name for community center right? I mean uh it's the refurbished version of the map not the ruins and there is no distinction... oh man. there is no way to transfer data from one map to another right? That would be asking the pos that is tIDE too much.

not the worst redo in the world now that I know how the place will turn out.

Thanks you so very much both for this thread Quantum and your guidance Advize.

Wait so you can indeed add click info to anything anywhere? Oh my, I need to tell someone this.

• Jinxiewinxie

I did it!

[​IMG]

I really liked OP's FarmhouseExtended mod that adds a basement, except the basement had to change with each house upgrade. So I re-made it as a basement somewhere else and then created a warp point to it out on my farm ^_^

• BoffoBoy

That is your unlocked version of community center right? I mean in your save you finished bundles?

Either way I need to find a map with paths, town interior and walls_and_floors

• Jinxiewinxie

I was just using the community center as an example for you. This one is in HaleyHouse because I wanted to be able to use the townInterior textures.

• BoffoBoy

Too funny.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

You can manually add tile sheets. Also, be careful what area you use as some locations have custom scripts and things that you could interfere with or vice versa. If you're willing to download Visual Studio 2015, you can add a brand new location without messing with anything else. I'd be happy to create a starter project for you, just insert data as needed.

BoffoBoy likes this.
                          • Jinxiewinxie

We can't figure out how to add tilesheets. There were instructions earlier in this thread that I had high hopes for but they didn't work. How do?

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Open map in tIDE, expand "Tile Sheets" in "Map Explorer" on the left side of the screen. Right click "Tile Sheets" and select "New..."

Under the General tab, browse to the .png file that another location would use, for example, and add it. Give it an ID (I don't believe the ID is actually used outside of tIDE, but naming it the same way it was named in other locations is a safe bet). Under alignment, set tilesize accordingly (most locations are 16x16 but I remember certain indoor locations using 64x64). To top it off, add any custom properties that you might want (e.g. @TileIndex@206@Diggable with a value of T for true). If using xnb_node, you'll need to add the tile sheet name to the .yaml file. If using XNB Demapper, yaml file is not needed and it will automatically create one.

If adding a custom tilesheet, you'll need to create an .xnb for it and place it in the appropriate location. To get a .yaml file for this, start by decompressing and extracting one from another tile sheet and rename it.

• Jinxiewinxie

That's the exact process I've been doing (I also tried adding the line in the yaml file above the other .png tilesheets listed and below it, neither one worked).

• BoffoBoy

I just want to add walls_and_floors because the selection in town interior is feature poor in that department, is that a safe tile to add via tIDE, if you can then I understand how it's supposed to be done, has been done.

Btw visual studio 2015 was installed a while ago, updating it though currently. not too sure what you mean by a new location though if you would care to explain.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Didn't work as in you were unable to pack it back into an .xnb or didn't work as in the game crashed or generated error messages of some kind? Let me know which is the case and what error the console is giving you. Also, the tilesheets in the yaml should be placed in the order that they are listed in Map Explorer in tIDE.

• BoffoBoy

In my case it was trying to use a new map, silly rabbit trix's are for kids, I know I know.

oh and good to know about order. mutters to self

• Jinxiewinxie

My game crashes and gives me an error in SMAPI when I try to load a save with finalized repackaged .xnb's. Here's the error in the SMAPI console:

[​IMG]

• BoffoBoy

was the order of the paths the same order as in tIDE?

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.