1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Year, A New Game (?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alternal, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

I'd like to start off with saying that I'm not trying to rush the devs in the slightest.

As the new year roles in, we're all still waiting patiently for Starbound. I for one am ecstatic for it, it's the best thing about 2013 for me so far.
    The Devs originally said "End of Summer to the end of the year" regarding release date, but as we all know that's not happening. I've seen that lots of people have high hopes for January, but even that seems like a stretch.
    One of Tiy's tweets said that they had just finished a farming system in the game, which I'm glad to see, it looks like they're working really hard and that's awesome.
    But we're almost in January now, and there's still no word about a release date or even another estimation.
    I'm just curious about when I can play! For sure it's my most anticipated game, but the wait is just killing me.

So what do you guys think? Will we be adventuring from planet to planet in January?

2. Psycho Saint

Psycho Saint Subatomic Cosmonaut

For the sake of my sanity it better be in January, once i finish Metal gear Solid i'll have nothing to play until this one is released, and when i have nothing to play, things get pretty crazy. But, being an extreme pessimist, no, i think it will be a long while before it is released.

3. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Nope! If Im any judge Id give them until at least march before they start to think about release.

If i know these guys like I do alot of other devs, theyre perfectionists, which means in face of the pressure, theyll take their time to make sure its in shipshape for release.
    On a sidenote: Bartwe has to be one of my favorite devs on the team. He reminds me of my computer technician Rich (who built my CPU :) ), with the snarky wit and the quiet competancy for code :rofl:

4. Alternal

Ahahah, see that's what I'm afraid of, I don't have any games where I can just wonder around and be merry, making my own little town or something.
    I'm on the same page as Psycho Saint, I'm bored of everything until this comes out.

Ephexis likes this.
  5. Psycho Saint

The boredom is unbearable, the most exciting thing i did this month was watch a movie. I want to play this game SO... BADLY...
    On the bright side, the movie was awesome.

6. rcBob

rcBob Aquatic Astronaut

If they do the whole "Pre-Order and get Beta access (when its ready)" thing, then most likely...:up:

If not... late January at the EARLIEST... Early to Mid February sound more likely though...:cry:

That is UNLESS the game is almost done already... There is no real way to gauge the games progress with the limited information we are given... *hint hint*;)

7. Alternal

Oh I'm totally with you there. I got a bunch of new games for Christmas, but nothing has the same charm...
    The second I see a pre-order button my wallet is going to fly through my laptop.

8. Psycho Saint

I actually bought $80 worth of paperback books to keep me from being bored while i wait for the game's release. Unfortunately, my exceptional skill at reading books quickly has effectively made me waste $80.

Alternal likes this.
  9. NNV

NNV Big Damn Hero

I don't think there will be a release in January. Let's say that they do in fact finish the game in lets say - for the sake of arguing, don't take this matter-of-factually - in 15 days. They finish the game and than what are they to do next, release it? Yes and no. I don't think they're going to come on the forums one day and be all like ITS DONE HERE YOU GO. No, I think its going to be something along the lines of, okay, the game is done but we're going to run a few more tests and possibly a beta and the game will be released in 30 days. That allows for plenty of time for testing, marketing, penguin schemes and whatever other shenanigans must be completed. So no, I don't think the game will be released in January even if Tiy came on this very thread and said the game was complete.

10. Psycho Saint

This is an indie game, not a big budget title like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 or Far Cry 3, marketing shouldn't really be an issue as far as the release date is concerned.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

While I doubt the game will be release in January, they are definitely making good progress. From what I saw in Bartwe's stream yesterday, some monster AI has been added, along with sounds and the ability for enemies to use projectiles. Farming's not done but it's coming along nicely. Also recently we've seen advanced weather (thunderstorms,) explosions that knock tiles around, cave systems, etc. There's a lot of progress being made, so I'm hoping for February, betting on March.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Maybe Pre-Orders in Late January-Februrary, and final release somewhere in March-April?
    I'm impressed with how flexible the community is being.

Mokunen and WoxandWarf like this.
  13. Sham

Sham Spoony Bard

It would be.....unfortunate.....if Starbound and the latest installment of Starcraft II were both set to be released in March.

I am pretty sure my head would explode from too much excitement.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Sham

Sham Spoony Bard

Oh I couldn't do that. I've been playing Starcraft for over a decade!

It would be fantastic vs. awesome in a battle royale every time I turned on my computer for a while.

Mokunen and WoxandWarf like this.
  15. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I'm a bit of a person who expects the worst, so I think it's going to be out in about 2-3 months. It would be really nice if they could come out with a pre-release version or something.

16. Alternal

See I don't think them releasing it sooner would be a bad idea. I mean they've said that after release they are going to do constant updates, and that's just awesome. For an indie game, I would hope for sometime soon, my anticipation has been at the same level for like 4 months now.

KIWI the cactus and Mokunen like this.
  17. Vinnlander

Vinnlander Aquatic Astronaut

I've been playing GW2 since launch and love it. When Starbound comes out I'll simply include it in a new paradigm: GW2 + Starbound.

18. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

When Starbound comes out...
    Im going to need an IV full of nutrients to keep me going due to the fact that I will be unattachable from my computer.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Inb4 I'm not saying this is another thread about release date.
    ^Possible.
    Come on man,this is another release date thread.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  20. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

We can hope for the pre-order dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.