A nearly infinitely customizable UI

Discussion in 'Other' started by Pseudoboss, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Everyone is different, we each learn differently, handle problems differently, even look at our monitors differently. We prefer minimalism or having all the information.
    By definition, a game's UI (User Interface) is the ground-zero of where this clashes with our own perception. So many things affect how we use and like our UIs, both from the graphical side and the input side (keybindings, buttons and menus) From our own patience, our skill with accurately pointing a mouse, how large/flexible our hands are, to even our height, vision, monitor size, and how tall our chairs are (no, really.)
    When so many things are impact our perception of a game's UI, how in hell can one UI cover every need that a player could have? Some of us will be annoyed by having portraits by our party icons, others will miss them. Some will want to have HP numbers on our health bars, others will want percentages, and still more will think it's better just having the bars.
    We also have the desire to make our game ours and nobody else's. We want to have something that nobody else playing the game has, and a spectacular way to do this is to let players make and customise their own UIs. It doesn't affect gameplay, a UI that's right for the player will only positively affect him or her.
    A great example of how much players change their UIs around, fiddle with buttons and settings, build mods, and do crazy things is World of Warcraft.

[​IMG]
    The Default UI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is no consensus on what the best UI setup is, everyone has different preferences, and no one UI could really rule them all.

I have spend countless hours in WoW's Bartender messing with my UI settings and keybindings, shoving bars even more out of the way, learning new binds, changing it again, because it's fun.

What i'm reccomending is for the devs to help with UI customization, allow for us to "unlock" the UI and drag various elements around, we should also have the option to change UI elements to be our own special images to the UI without messing up servers (that don't have special settings) things like this would be extremely helpful to make our game feel like ours. When I customize my UI, I can be pretty certain that nobody else has something quite like what I have, and that's comforting.

TechColdsteel and WoxandWarf like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

i agree, the UI should be at least somewhat customizable including (but not limited to) position, size, color, and a few other features.

Forb.Jok likes this.
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

I wouldn't be surprised if there are config files that let you do this, although an in game interface would be cool.

5. JennShii

JennShii Pangalactic Porcupine

HE UNDERSTANDS!! ToT
    +1

6. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

I agree, it would be very nice to be able to do UI customization like in WoW. Considering Starbound already uses Lua for scripting (the same language used by WoW for UI addons), maybe they could (or already have) implemented something similar, allowing UI addons to add or modify UI stuff.

7. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

Mhm, that could be useful. Players would find it easier to get used to if they could customize it. It shouldnt be hard to implement it to the game either. :D