1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion A Few General Questions About MP

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by caatalyst, Feb 6, 2017.

1. caatalyst

caatalyst Void-Bound Voyager

Hello Everyone!

It's probably been a good year since a played this game, maybe even longer and it seems it has come a long way and so much content has been added.

A few questions regarding multiplayer - If anybody could help me I would be very greatful.

I'm starting a new character, looks like mine was probably wiped ages ago and I want to try all the new content anyway. How risky is it starting the game fresh on a multiplayer server? I like the idea of doing all the quests and leveling up on a multiplayer server but from what I read in the past people can quite easily steal all of your stuff.

Has any safeguarding been put into place for this? It would be nice if you had your own place that other players couldn't steal from. Is anything like this in the game? Unbreakable storage units or safe bubbles around your main home?

Thanks in advance.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Depends, are you going to be joining some random server or one of your own? On a public server, yes, people can steal your stuff, that is a risk of games like these. If that bothers you, stick to singleplayer.

No, there are no protections against this. I hope Chucklefish does proper server management updates like they said they would. A permission system would cover 90% of all the issues the multiplayer setup faces right now.

caatalyst likes this.
  3. Sprvrn

Sprvrn Title Not Found

Most of the servers use a wrapper (well, I assume they do) to add building protections/permissions on ships and planets, so right now, it is possible to play starbound without worrying too much about joining parties with complete strangers.

But yeah, the game alone surprisingly does not have this feature, so be careful and check if the server you're joining allow you to protect your ship.

caatalyst likes this.
  4. caatalyst

caatalyst Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks guys! Seems very strange. It would be good if you could make a single planet base and your spaceship inaccessible to other players.