A City Floating over a Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Musetrigger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. MrHat

MrHat Void-Bound Voyager

Guys, what about the Corpus from Warframe? They managed to set up hundreds of harvesters on Jupiter.

[​IMG]

From the wiki: "The Gas City has many facilities built to harvest the power of the planet's gas. The indoor areas vary greatly from neat lobbies and labs to dusty maintenance areas for the harvesters, while the outdoors allow players to traverse the deck of the ships under an eternal sunset."

More pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this one myself

[​IMG]

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I thought Gas Giants were being removed?

3. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

That . . . would be a sad solution. Very artificial. Reminds me of the grievances expressed in some of the threads hoping for a more realistic approach to the implementation of star systems.

Fiery planets would make sense closer to stars, with frozen planets farther away. Lush and regular ocean planets in the [survivable zone], which would depend on the type of star. Red giants would perhaps have more fiery planets next to them, assuming as they expanded the rocky planets grew hotter. Moons would revolve around actual planets. . . otherwise they'd be dwarf planets. Gas giants would spawn farther out in the system. Certain kinds of stars (I don't know what, since I'm not an astrophysicist) would have a bias toward radioactive worlds or alien life worlds (which might not follow the regular rules for the [survivable zone]). That kind of thing would generally make more sense, and due to the greater amount of structure controlling the procedurally generated elements could actually make the space exploration element feel better to interact with, in that world types and biome types would gain a greater sense of identity (something I seem to talk about a lot). And this all of course ties in with several of my other major ideas, especially including the control of monster part generation by planet type and biome...

4. TheArmchairExplorer

TheArmchairExplorer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Gas giants could make for an excellent biome, with aerial bases or cities (ruined or not), and giant floating beasts. I'd love to see them. Right now, they do at least provide local colour.

Biirdy Daysleeper and STCW262 like this.
  5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The floating city should, rather than having 2 types, be divided in 2 zones: An inhabited one, which is completely safe, and another one which is abandoned and filled with airborne creatures, mutated inhabitants (Which would be why they are abandoned in the first place), etc...
    The creatures would be procedurally generated as usual, but the mutants would only be partially so: There would be some variations which would be randomly-generated, and other variations which wouldn´t. The pregenerated mutated inhabitants would be based off every playable race except the Glitch and Novakids, as they aren´t organic. The mutants would be best described as "Not out of place in Silent Hill", that is, would employ a lot of body horror in their designs which would make the Moontants look cuddly in comparison.
    The enemies there would drop Pixels, but the mutants would sometimes drop weapons and a "new" item: Trianglium.
    Trianglium wouldn´t be used to make gear...in a normal way.
    It would be used to "buy" (That it, they actually use the Trianglium to make the products) randomly-generated weapons in vending machines distributed throughout the city.
    The difficulty would be "Insane", that is, even higher than "Extreme", making it a brutal bonus level of sorts.

The inhabited part should rather be inhabited by all playable races, mostly so that the Outpost isn´t the only place with that characteristic. The vendors would sell the usual, including blueprints to be able to buy such things as shields, gates and sentries at the vending machines.

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.