A City Floating over a Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Musetrigger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Damn that would be awesome. At least then I can somewhat believe that I kinda sorta contributed to it.

2. ZackTheGreat

ZackTheGreat Space Penguin Leader

This seems like a really epic idea. I remember playing many sci-fi games where Gas Giant were these places that you couldn't go to or had nothing interesting to show. Gas Giants are so beautiful it could be really easy to make something athletically pleasing to the style of this game.

I think to further expand the gameplay value of the inclusion of gas giant cities that their shops should perhaps sell gas-related items like certain kinds of ship fuel or as part of recipes for gas-powered or gas-related weapons. (Methane flame throwers anyone? ;) )

3. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

Seriously, they always get ignored.

You could at least mine them! Its a planet sized gas onion, layered for your convinience!

Also, about that Avian dungeon, is there any pic or info about it? Never heard of that one, and kind of wanna see it. :p

ZackTheGreat likes this.
  4. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

perhaps the maintenance systems run on the gasses they mine. there might be resources for the player to take, but of course the facility doesn't want you to take them. However if you destroy the robots the facility or take too much it will start to fail and fall into the planet!

just an idea for how this could work :)

5. warlava50

warlava50 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can image me,on one of them:
    me:muhahaha,i removed the last fan from the bottom of the c-oh wait,FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*gets crushed from pressure**so does city*

Musetrigger likes this.
  6. Godsire88

Godsire88 Big Damn Hero

Hmmmm... Smells like Bespin from Starwars waiting to happen lol. But hey I'm not hating, I think its an awsome idea :p

7. Zerexus

Zerexus Void-Bound Voyager

Hope this happens. If i find one I will inspect it to see if I like it if I don't i will go to the bottom of the island and break the fans so that it will fall and get crushed but just before it falls I will beam up to my ship. If I like it I will leave it alone.

8. JennShii

JennShii Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow nice presentation! +1

9. Musetrigger

So much wonderful support! It's a steady flow of likes but it's wonderful nonetheless.

Please spread the word so we'll see this idea come to fruition!!

10. Alxetora

Alxetora Phantasmal Quasar

Could pop some Fifth-Element-esque stuff in here, would be pretty cool. For example, as people were talking about multiple levels to the city, you could have an upper level which would be composed mostly of high-class citizens and large businesses, a middle level for the average joes and janes, slums below that, and then a dark area composed mostly of ventilation shafts and sewage runoff pipes, with the occasional mutant or criminal roaming about in them.

Khuur and Musetrigger like this.
  11. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

I quite pretty much like the fact that you look into that level of technical detail in more side of fantasy idea
    But i cannot disagree,Great idea,would amazingly fit "naturish" races as florans or even glitch

Agreed

Musetrigger likes this.
  12. Musetrigger

I like that idea. I also ~love~ Fifth Element. If they incorporated some kind of homage to that movie in even a small way, I would die happy.

For ruined Cloud Cities, there could be a few wrecked taxi cabs throughout the slums. And the ventilation shafts could have the corpses of police officers that got lost chasing down an orange haired chick in bandages.

Maybe somewhere in the history of the Avian Cloud Cities, the Floran could have a presence there as guests. There could be nurseries for Floran breeding and developmental studying. Who knows? Maybe there could be a treasure trove of information regarding the evolution of the Floran as a race!!

13. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

Actually I think this idea could be awesome, especially since last I remember hearing, Gas Giants weren't all that useful since you couldn't land on them. (Forgive me, I can't remember where I heard/saw this) So allowing them to have something potentially awesome spawn on Gas Giants, would be nice.

14. Musetrigger

The Cloud Cities could act as close Moons for a gas giant system. They could show up on the map as a faint beacon of radio waves or energy. So you could select them from the travel menu or something.

15. captainrandom21

captainrandom21 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I LIKE this idea! dont get down on yourself! man, it seems like most of the best ideas are already taken! My opinion may not matter much, but i approve! ;)

Musetrigger likes this.
  16. Musetrigger

It matters. :)

captainrandom21 likes this.
  17. RubyRhapsody

RubyRhapsody Tentacle Wrangler

This would be a wonderful idea as Novakid cities!

STCW262 likes this.
  18. Musetrigger

A floating Western Style City? I am for this. You're a part of the suggestion!

RubyRhapsody likes this.
  19. psewolf

psewolf Poptop Tamer

:D Yes Please.

Musetrigger likes this.
  20. Musetrigger

Think I might draw a sketch of a small cloud outpost. That would be nice.