A City Floating over a Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Musetrigger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I approve on this:up:

Musetrigger likes this.
  2. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Edit:Also this would suit the avians

Core and Musetrigger like this.
  3. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Star Wars got the whole space thing started for me. I also love Star Trek. Also I would've loved to have more of the citadel to explore, but what can ya do? If the citadel was completely mapped, it would take around a dozen disks to cover half of it if not all.

4. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

I do not ask for full Citadel, but at least ONE area in open space! It does say in the lore that the Citadel has an atmosphere that goes up to like 5 meters or something, so you CAN walk around it, its just that buildings have to be airtight to not drain higher up. So parks or open air streets are canonically possible.

My start of scifi is funny, I always liked space and future stuff, but for years my mind never made the connection that scifi were books of that! (not to mention I grew to hate books, if all you read is forced by school, and most of it sucks, what do you expect? :p) Then I got Foundation from Asimov and went on from there. Currently have over 30 books read. Favorite by far is the Mars Trilogy.

5. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My brother read that I think. I'll have to ask him. I drew a picture of a Novakid for him with a dollar sign emblem on his face. He's supposed to be this bandit, but I don't know. My bro's quite a writer so I know whatever he comes up with is gonna rock.

School got enjoyable for me as soon as all the kids became adults and stopped oozing with smelly testosterone and estrogen. That was about the time I went to COLLEGE, THANK YOU LIFE! I mean seriously, I am not bothered at all that I decided that College was the time my life really started because, quite honestly, every @#%ing #@%! in my high school can go jump off a cliff.

Except for the faculty. They have so much fortitude in them to want to keep teaching in that ridiculous place. They should get bigger salaries. I mean if I start teaching I'm going to demand more than just a measly 1200 a month. That's bull.

But I digress. Science Fiction is great. Just don't go dumping this chosen one experimental death weapon Jedi super saiyan crap on my lap because I'm going to just brush it off and continue sipping my ORIGINALITY COFFEE!!! Mmmmm...Smell that? Eeyup. Smells like a compelling story without the protagonist's parents dying at the hands of Kahn or Dr. Eggman.

But I digress again. Reading isn't all that bad, especially if you narrate it in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Khuur likes this.
  6. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

He read which? Foundation or the Mars Trilogy? (Not that either of those is bad)

Am I the only one that misses highschool? :rofl:
    I graduated with almost the same group I had back in kindergarten, so we grew up together, and while we were not friends perse, I do still care for them. :S

Your teachers are also underpaid? Mine back in my old university had not gotten a rise since 2007. (Government crap and all, since it was a public one, which is still pretty good here)

I hate Dragonball with a passion, such a terrible writing. And sure, originality is great, but some things are still good if the author has given a twist to an existing idea. (We cannot all come up with unique FTL drives, now can we? I did, but that took me three years of considering)
    Parents dying? That is one of the biggest cliches in fiction! :rofl: (And games, specially games) that is hardly creative. My parents are in the way of my EPIC adventure! How fortunate my town will be razed while I am doing some small errand in the woods! (Because heroes cannot live in cities, thats a law) :rofl:

Morgan Freeman. Yup, he has great voice.
    BUT if I had to chose someone to narrate my life, I rather have the muses from hercules, five sassy ladies. :p

7. dyoyo99

dyoyo99 Void-Bound Voyager

Reminds me of cloud city and it sounds awesome :D

8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Sounds pretty cool. If you don't mind the smell.

Oh, I'll open up my own Gas Mask company.

I'll call it "Murky-Fresh". Each mask has one of those little car fresheners in it free of charge.

Musetrigger likes this.
  9. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

what if you could be 'hired' by friendly inhabitants of the city, and get paid? could you find special gravity-tight ships that are able to explore inside gas giants??...

10. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Hmm cloud city anyone?
    [​IMG]

Now I just want a Kamino
    [​IMG]I want my clones dammit:yoda:

11. The Merchant

The Merchant Void-Bound Voyager

Musetrigger likes this.
  12. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

Columbia is gorgeous. A bit racist for my like, but beautiful past those flaws. :p
    I also wish Hytlots (or whatever its spelled) get some cities like Rapture (Toy did say the engine could handle cities, but that would be post release), I was never a fan of Bioshock (FPS and suspense/horror games where never my thing) but I still find the cities of each game amazing. (Rapture is the best representation I have seen so far of an underwater city)

Although Columbia would fit better in an Earthlike world, rather than a Gas Giant with possibly toxic atmosphere. :p

13. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Love this idea a lot, especially since I'll be an Avian :DD

14. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

This idea needs more Slylandro.

15. DigitalFeint

DigitalFeint Void-Bound Voyager

I personally think this is a really nice idea, considering gas giant planets probably wont have a whole lot of options

Maybe for planets with very little land we could get Kamino-like platform areas above the water surface, Rapture like cities below~ :love:

Farathil likes this.
  16. Creation23

Creation23 Space Spelunker

This idea sounds cool.:)

17. BluPixelz

BluPixelz Aquatic Astronaut

CASTLE IN THE SKKKKKKYYYYYYYYY

Musetrigger likes this.
  18. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

They might have ships which allow exploration of the gas giant

19. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

So more easygoing happiness and desire to explore the cosmos past your atmosphere. With a side order of grey goo disaster due to overjoyed rushing a project?
    We already have the Novakids, thats a start. :rofl:

20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

If anyone keeping up with the dungeons there IS a floating avian skyship dungeon.
    Just floats doesn't move (as far as they said yet, but not likely).