Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will Space stations be able to/ be under attack (like NPC/players and so on looted)
    will you able to special prebuilt room that will for explane house tenant/workers for example miners that could be upgradable, (i.e. each upgrade would higher tier resources and allow more space or faster resurce gatherring etc.
    same could go for other things like hunters - for materials from creatures
    farmer - this would mostly prpovide food for station peoples on it and nothing to liitle amout o food for you
    research - for special Bluprits that would allow you to get lets say unigue blue print for contructing pieces of eq that would allow to insert auguments.....
    etc.
    of course manageing water morale....
    ok lets stop or this will turn into spacestation manager...
    of course not neseceraly in this update

2. ziekke

ziekke Void-Bound Voyager

I kinda hate how on the new navigation screen you just fly straight from orbit to orbit. That's not how it works and for a space game it seems silly to overlook. Also would be trivial to "fake" a semblance of orbital mechanics so it doesnt look so jarring.

Besides that, great looking update!

3. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

It's not about how hard it is but how much player time it wastes for the reward given......it will be a feature near damn everyone will cheat, mod, or ignore......that's failure on the part of the devs.

STCW262 likes this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you can build most anything very quickly then the feature becomes dull.

The "instant gratification" that many people seem to want is obviously not the goal here.

Ainzoal likes this.
  5. DarthTrethon

This has nothing to do with too quick....this is entirely on the other end of the scales where it takes entirely too long. Just because something shouldn't take less than five minutes it doesn't mean it needs to take 100 hours. It's just building after all.....it shouldn't take 20 times longer than making a planetary base and it's not like players can't make plenty of those much faster and easier.......at the end of the day it's just another storage space option.....why would they make it waste so much more time rather than just making it a relatively equivalent option. Like I said......it only guarantees that nearly everyone will cheat, mod, or ignore it.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because it won't take 100 hours? And we don't know if there is anything beyond just empty rooms. Plus, what if the high cost is intended to keep planets as viable settlements rather than everyone just using one or more stations and never going to planets again?

This is end-game content. It isn't supposed to be fast.

With your logic, you must not like MMOs, I take it?

Ainzoal likes this.
  7. DarthTrethon

Well if there are things to put in those rooms worth 100 hours then those things should make their own case of value vs time to obtain.....not the empty rooms themselves.....and why would another base option.....and a far more limited one at that....be "end game content"? It's just another storage option.....nothing more nothing less.....and again....if there is something that can be put in those rooms worth that time then those things need to make their own case of value vs time to obtain.

This is like going to the store to buy some ice cream only to find that they only sell it in $1000 40 foot containers.......I don't want to buy a 40 foot container......so then they say it's because people complained the matchbox sized containers were too small and they wanted more.....well yeah, but nobody wanted or asked for 40 foot containers either.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    STCW262 and DragonsForce like this.
  8. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But I'd buy a 40ft refrigerated container full of icecream. Do you know how much icecream that is for only $1000?

9. DarthTrethon

Doesn't matter.....most got no use for it....most of it will spoil and nobody that isn't looking to become an ice cream seller would buy it.

10. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Are construction costs big? Omg, should ask for more material to make things, build should not be easy, is more, the printer even makes things much easier, it should be much more expensive to print items than scan.

For me the game is simply impressive, just made in need of greater difficulty in common enemies, also that improving the manipulator is more difficult, modules to improve the manipulator appear frequently, should leave many less, after all, are legendary items , It should not be easy to get them.

O and also more variety in the missions of NPCs, for the rest, the game is a 10.

P.S: Sorry, English is not my first language

11. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

I find it funny how you seem to have mass mind reading abilities and a time machine to know exactly that many people will operate by YOUR personal biased standards regarding this feature.

12. DarthTrethon

It's common sense. It's the difference between spending a couple hours and a couple dozen hours to build a meaningful base.....not to mention in space you have a lot fewer options than on a planet where you control building block by block vs room by room with only a few room size options available....it's the equivalent of buying the same thing for a 10x the price and takes 10x longer except it gets to look a lot uglier. It's common sense. People will have established planetary bases and when faced with this nonsense the prevalent question will be: why bother? Why would I spend that much time and that many resources on this?

13. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

I believe that is why they introduced Terraformers? You can take an end tier planet and turn it into a forest or a giant flower biome if you want to. Sorry if someone already pointed this out, I am slowly catching up with the posts while I wake up. :p

Lintton likes this.
  14. Shaggyd0g

The Terraformers are an excellent demonstration of an endgame time sink...

STCW262 likes this.
  15. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

There better be ohter premade space stations that we can find and explore.

on a another note YES! SPACE STATIONS!!!

16. Shaggyd0g

That's been covered in an earlier Dev Blog post. Yes, Yes there will be.

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

oh yeah i had forgot that also rii told me a few seconds ago xD
    thanks anyway

18. Shaggyd0g

No worries.
    But how much more exciting does each new post make you for the update? A lot? Am I right?

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I think that a 15*45+15*15 (approximately) space like that T junction should cost an amount comparable to the materials it seems to be made out of. Which is to say, maybe 2 tungsten and 2 concrete blocks for the outpost support beam stuff, 11*11*4/20=484/20 (which is to say approximately 25, and that's not taking into account the space occupied by the glass) tungsten for the wall panels and maybe 13*2*8/40=208/40 (approximately 6) durasteel for the outer walls if they're based on pressurized durasteel, although those walls would probably be more expensive. In addition, a 5*5 space appears to be occupied by glass, which would cost about 3 glass/25 glass blocks. So in total 27 tungsten, 2 concrete blocks, 6 durasteel and 3 glass or 25 glass blocks. More or less doubling that price so it costs 60 tungsten, 10 concrete blocks, 15 durasteel and 50 glass blocks would be a reasonable trade-off compared to building on a planet, although the inability to build freely and change the walls (inherently limiting max room size) seems like enough of a trade-off already.

Eranderil Grey and DragonsForce like this.
  20. Nekobi

Nekobi Void-Bound Voyager

In the GIF, every part of the station have the same price, it seems like a placeholder, I'm sure the prices will change in the future.
    But if they still don't add automation into the game, the prices should not be too high...

Anyway, for a beginning, this looks correct, I just hope that we could create more complex rooms , instead of creating a lot of little rooms glued together with walls between all of them...

There's still something bothering me, is the "green force field airlock" for the Mech bay... It looks... Plain? And also it seems strange, I think. I hope that the devs will at least put real airlocks doors instead.
    Is it because the airlocks here doesn't have a pre-defined length, so the simple green electricity sprite is easier to replicate for adding lentgh to the airlock?