Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It looks like it will be a more end-game resource sink. 1000 glass and 150 durasteel is really nothing, and it will keep you from getting too crazy too quickly.

Gunslinger likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would think 30-50 bars would be more reasonable especially for a small hallway type room. 150 is just too much for a single room, because you're talking about strip-mining entire planets to get enough to make a couple rooms.

Let's not forget the amount of TIME it takes to make 1,000 glass blocks. What's the build time on those, 1.5 seconds? That's 1,500 seconds or 25 minutes to make all of those blocks (for ONE little passageway!). If you could just stick them in a machine and let them cook that'd be one thing, but you can't do ANYTHING while crafting or it stops.

AmazonValkyrie and DraikNova like this.
  3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Iunno, seems pretty easy to get a buttload of Glass Blocks. Most any dig I get a few thou of Sand almsot by accident. And if you got 2 Sand, you have 10 Glass Blocks. 1000 Sand nets you 5000 Glass Blocks. There's just a bit of a time sink in the conversion from Sand to Glass to Glass Block. When I do this (and I do, cuz greenhouses need a lotta glass) I tend to go get dinner or a shower or something.

The bars might be more questinable, but I also don't GENERALLY mine a lot. But having looked at undergrounds in fullbright mode, there's a LOT of ore down there that a fairly systematic sweep with a Matter Manipulator can pull up.

Of course, tweaking the numbers is all part of the development process, so this might not even be final.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would HOPE it isn't final, or me and the /admin command are gonna become best buds. And I realize that I mistook glass block for glass, lol. whoops. So maybe it wouldn't take 25 minutes worth of smelting glass. But still. The time investment is not small, even still.

STCW262 likes this.
  5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Kind of dissapointed that space stations use modules rather than being properly buildable with new blocks. Oh well, at least that mech torso piece seems cool. I wonder if we'll get biome themed ones, like an eye biome cockpit.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well you still gotta do the Sand -> Glass -> Glass Block.

So you need 100 batches of glass blocks, which means you need 100 glass assuming it is 1 glass -> 10 blocks.

So that's 200 x 1.5s = 300 seconds or 5 minutes.

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Also, your math is off. You get TEN Glass Blocks every (by your estimate) 1.5 seconds of crafting. So, 150 seconds, or 2.5 minutes.

Again, I've done this. A lot. It's not a massive timesink.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, but that's 5 minutes (see above edit) for -ONE- small little hallway room. Of which there would be several in any station of any size. That's not even counting the large rooms, who knows what they are. That's JUST for the glass, and not counting the 150 bars ontop of that (which would make 7.5 minutes total for ONE room).

9. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

these updates just keep getting better

10. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

looks like gardenbot and greenram ore seeds+ just became de facto mandatory mods

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Meh, the only "required" mod is /admin (and/or /spawnitem) haha.

But seriously, if they keep these values as final... you can expect people to release mods to reduce the grind.

12. emaker123

emaker123 Void-Bound Voyager

13. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I really hope that I can modify that frame, I had plans to build a custom station and if I have to work inside of the pre-defined hull shapes I'll basically have to rework everything.

And they're kinda barebones. Desperately needs decoration and a larger block palette.

Blevruz likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, the GIFs show the character adding their own furniture, and then if you looka t the last picture, it suggests that you can indeed modify the background blocks once the room is built.

If you look next to the teleporter in the last pic, you will note that the background blocks can be removed to show a background that is similar to your ship's.

15. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Decorations for the outer hull of the stations would definitely be required for this not to be an eyesore type of thing.
    Also, modding and generating your own planets using this kind of technology.

16. AdriexDoom

AdriexDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Firstly, YES. Secondly, can I use this as a way to build space dungeons? This would be a great template for making your own dungeons for servers.
    Or just as well if a server host can inhabit them with monsters and traps etc. That would be the kind of thing to keep coming back to play for.
    Say I run some planets and capture a bunch of monsters I like, do some gene splicing and breeding to create the ultimate arena maze of space death. That's the dream right there.
    A new gauntlet of alien pain every week for the server.

It's still an excellent feature as it is. Can't wait to do another play through.

17. VoidGuy

VoidGuy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you guys so much for the hard work you've been doing for the past (Insert time here cuz im too lazy to calculate)s! This is good stuff, and im seriously looking forward to checking this out. And later heavily modding it.

18. caker

caker Space Hobo

super cool update but one question when will it be released

19. bloodsplatBOOM

bloodsplatBOOM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That building system is giving me flashbacks of the old 1994 X-COM...

20. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

The prices are absolutely demented.....and not just the time to craft the glass but to gather all the materials, especially the ore for the durasteel bars.....and the end result is a small T-junction? And look how bloody small the window on the bloody thing is.....how in the hell does one tiny window justify needing 1000 glass blocks?