Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. redninja555

redninja555 Void-Bound Voyager

I realized a bit after I posted that, these won't likely be a static object in space, I'm assuming they share more similarities with the player ship. Still, as a feature, I would love the ability to customize my personal space station on the outside. As far as I am concerned, I would be pleased if I simply had to go into admin mode to remove the outer blocks, as long as I have a method of doing so.

2. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Novakids are very forgetful and don't care to write down their own history, so I'm assuming there isn't much you can learn about them

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Not to play ruin's advocate here but why wouldn't other species write about them?

4. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

novakid is actually not one of the six main races; humans, apex, avians, glitch, floran and hylotl.
    i think so because the novakid is NOT a part of the main story, but i Guess they might get a part of it later

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's true -- they were a stretch goal.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I mean, other races can write about 'em, sure, but I like to think that trying to investigate most races' pasts is pretty much a fruitless effort if the races themselves didn't preserve any history. Most lore would be heavily-focused on the now.

HEADCANON TIME
    • The Glitch, Novakid, Floran, and Maggots (I consider them a race, not costumed people) simply don't know/remember their origins and were spread through the cosmos long before first contact (how the Floran achieved that is anyone's guess). Attempts by other races to backtrace have failed.
    • The Agaran and Frogg have no written history, but they MIGHT have an oral history but nobody can f***ing properly understand them to find out where they came from. Til then, who knows?
    • Nobody knows diddly-shit about the shadow "people". Lots of rumors and ghost stories but nothing concrete. Not from lack of trying, either.
    Most other known races kept their own history in some form or another before joining the interstellar community.

(In general I would love to see some more NPC races wandering about, and expansions of the ones we've seen already. I want to run across an Ursa mining colony. Creepling pod-clusters. Disturbingly high-tech Penguin camps.)

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I headcanon the Froggs as being the remnants of a once mighty merchant empire, or Emporium, if you will.

Ditto on the Penguin camps (although I personally think hijacked versions of other species' structures, in particular Avian Airships, would make more sense), but I'd like to see the creeplings remain more mysterious then they could possibly be if they showed up every 10 planets or so. I would like some maggot structures, actually. Perhaps in hexagonal structures made from a pipe-like variant of the hive block, hanging from silk platforms attached to giant pillars. Bonus points if they all speak in the weird garbled koans of the tenant, and double bonus points if they have merchants who only sell items with a matchingly weird description/name.

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I've been off-and-on adding to a long file of alien dossiers based on the Enciclopedia Xenobiologica from the fantastic Drive webcomic (I recommend starting at the beginning bigtime http://www.drivecomic.com/archive/090815.html). Just not had the time to really knuckle down on em all. But the Fenerox were fun to figure out, having them be so widely propegated throughout the galaxy while still being pre-industrial tech-wise.

For me, Penguin are scavengers who largely base their stuff off Avian tech yeah (cuz screw them), but they're WAY more advanced tech-wise. They're what the Avians might have achieved, at least on a technical level, were the Avians not locked into a really strict caste system that preaches humbleness and stay-in-your-place-ness.

Man. Maggot beds really should be hung from the ceiling.

9. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, I've got a question for the dev. The new space mode, is it going to utilize the cut songs from the game?

Like this song for example

The forest songs are beautiful, as well as the constellation songs. Why were they cut? They'd be amazing if they were brought back with this update, the cut constellation songs would be great for space exploration as well IMO!

10. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

Didn't the Florans achieve space travel when an Avian ship crashed on their homeworld, followed by them reverse engineering the tech?

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

DragonsForce likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

According to avianlore_pdf.pdf, yes. But with as old as that file is, its canonicity is questionable at best.

M_Sipher and DragonsForce like this.
  13. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Fixed that for you.

14. VoidGuy

VoidGuy Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's. On. Unstable. now. :lickitung:

15. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

though generic armour seems like its been changed... i remember my health being at like 220 and energy alot higher but it said it was only like 130...

also some graphical glitches in fullscreen and alot more in borderless... could be my side

likely just that i never changed them but controls were different in unstable (again thats likely my fault and not the update)

some places seem to be useful to land at but you cant (anomalys, enemy ships, food stations, likely because its unstable so thats not released yet, stations didnt seem to be in this yet) and the warp thing to go onto and off planets are 2 buttons for some reason (beaming to the planet is there, beaming back up isnt there until on the planet, im on casual btw, annoying as i move my inventory to the side and like when it fits with the buttons but itll have to be over one or have a space sometimes)

again this is unstable so it can still change and also some things be my side... though i would kinda like if i could use wasd or maybe arrow keys (technically and most likely id use numpad whether its arrows or bindable, left arrow key isnt working) to move the map or the ship on it, maybe highlight what youre over and hit enter to go down to it? ship moves in star orbits while the map changes position in zoomed out map (cause jumps need the charge while "flight" doesnt so making the jumps charge but go faster across longer areas while moving with keys is slower?)

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Get a mech and click the Deploy button to visit these places.

17. RumbleStork

RumbleStork Space Hobo

how do you call the probe for the space station?

They would probably pay more rent for a space station then on a planet because a space station would be safer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Get a transponder. I found a guy in a random space station. Do his quest and you'll get a transponder to start your own station.

19. RumbleStork

RumbleStork Space Hobo

where are these space stations?

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

...Around, I guess. Semi-randomly, I'm not sure.