9th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Fatheed

Fatheed Aquatic Astronaut

This is true, but I guess the only similarity is that the hook will return if the anchor point is destroyed. Although, I guess you could also include character movement when using something like the Ivy Whip.

I didn't mean my comment to come across the way it did, though <3

2. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

You're right it is fun, but if there's one thing you absolutely cannot do with Terraria's hook is "swing around"...

3. Antilogic

Antilogic Void-Bound Voyager

Imagine throwing that hook at any animal and you could ride it.
    :ninja:
    l=:fusrodah:
    o==o
    /l /l

4. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Kachou on!(Game Center CX is where I first found out about this game.)

On-topic now, I wonder what happens if you set the spring constant to a negative as well as the friction. Probably something pretty funny.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. chronoso

chronoso Void-Bound Voyager

oh man I loved the fishing rod mechanics in umihara kawase

6. ZaneTank

ZaneTank Space Spelunker

What if there were 2 anchor points
    1. the hook
    2. the player
    that would make the system a little bit more realistic, instead of the hook just auto retracting when it reaches it's limit. So the hook could just stay there until the player retracts it.

7. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

Uurrrrgggghhh school ended today, and I just had a bunch of weird words rammmed down my...eyes. naaah its ok lol

8. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

*Imagines coming upon a large Boss, & Grappling its Nose...* :rofl:

natelovesyou likes this.
  9. Durg

Durg Orbital Explorer

No worries friend :p I used you to respond to everyone who replied to my comment, apologies

10. Ryanrem

Ryanrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ah the life of a programmer it is a hard but rewarding one

11. lightfoot

lightfoot Master Chief

I like these technical posts.

12. soul4heat

soul4heat Tentacle Wrangler

Think about it.... Omni is creating a grappling for us all and defied physics to make happen.... All praise ALL PRAISE the Omin! I don't know about you, but the concept of having a Grappling hook made by the gods is..... I"M NOT WORTHY!

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. ChaliElle

ChaliElle Void-Bound Voyager

No. That's not true.
    In Terraria there is no such thing like rope between player and anchor/hook. You just throws hook, it hits and you are getting pulled to it. Yeah, you can be blocked by terrain, but it's just like with normal movement. Yeah, there is possibility of destroying 'anchored' block. You can throw two hooks and stay in air, while being pulled to both of them at the same time. But the rope is non-existant, where rope is the real deal of the grappling hook in Starbound. It's just not possible to compare these two. I don't say, that hook in Terraria was bad - it wasn't, it was just quite unrealistic, but easy to use and useful. Here on the other hand.. It will need much more practice. And will not be used in the same way as in Terraria.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Coolitic

Coolitic Big Damn Hero

I still like terrarias grappling hook and I have no idea what u mean by "you cant swing around"
    If you mean like a playground swing than its counter-productive to swing while trying to stay still. The dual grappling hook allowed you to get all the pros of swinging, without any of the cons and the ivy whip was very useful for special circumstances.

15. Durg

Durg Orbital Explorer

In the post you quoted I said "I understand Omni's hook will be more complicated then Terraria's" so you're preaching to the choir. But some of the things Omni brought up terraria had done with their simple grappling hook. Omni wants to do a lot more than that but some of the basics he brought up terraria had already done. And since much of this game is based off terraria and other games I just found it odd it wasn't mentioned, was just pointing out I get the feeling that Terraria is the "game-that-must-not-be-named" with a lot of people around here.

You can easily compare the two because they are both grappling hooks in a 2d block environment. And because of that many of the simple objectives Omni was trying to work around had been done in Terraria. Now obviously omni is taking it a step further and changing up the physics, but the problems with 2d blocks Omni brought up? Dealt with in terraria.

How you could not see the similarities in two grappling hooks in 2d block environments is beyond me. I don't mean to start a flame war here friend just saying.

16. ChaliElle

ChaliElle Void-Bound Voyager

@up: I just say, that the only similarity I see between Omni's and Terraria's grappling hook is existence of anchor point and it's usage to move around.
    Technically it's just two really different things. Not only code-wise, just mechanicaly-wise. Terraria's hook works like magnet (where player is metal ball), Omni's is trying to make us elastic rope with anchor point. I just.. can't compare them.

Can I have some nerdy talk with my improper English? Well, I'll still write this, if you don't want to hurt your eyes, just don't read it.
    IMO Terraria's hook looks like it have been made in hurry. It uses identical physics like any other movement in Terraria, it doesn't even keeps player's momentum in some cases. Like I said, it works exaclt like point magnet - player gets pulled to anchor with some force, denying laws of physics, stopping on 1st wall blocking way to anchor point. Rope is nonexistant, it can through walls, monsters, other players, everything. Anchor cannot hit anything other than blocks. It's just clearly mechanism: hit the block with hook -> make it point magnet, that will pull player to it -> even if player hits wall, still pull him/her to that block, so he will be pulled when wall become non existant -> if anchor disappears (from using grappling hook again or destroying block with anchor attached to it), just stop applying force to player, let him/her freefall.
    In Starbound there is that stringy-like rope. It allows swinging, allows multiple anchor points, applying momentum, and so on. It will be much more fun and realistic. Unless you are metal ball that is unlucky enough to be close to strong magnet.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. d7u8d9e

d7u8d9e Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One thing i saw that i liked in the run of Umihara Kawase was when they used the frog as weight to prevent them from falling down, do you plan on doing anything like that?

Axe Garian likes this.