Dev Blog 9th February - Under the Sea

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

The virorb and mindwurm plushies in the first image reminds me how much I want them in the game...

2. Johnbrickblaster

Johnbrickblaster Void-Bound Voyager

Wow! Those Hylotl look like they're having fun in that arcade....
    Man, am I gonna feel bad when I kill them all and loot the building for all dem plushies

Poptop plushie, you're MINEEE!!!!

3. Superfast103

Superfast103 Subatomic Cosmonaut

That would be awesome if there cold be mixed race cities. There could be an underwater temple city (Hylotl/Avian), a high tech floating castle (Apex/Glitch), and more. It would also be cool to see a rare giant all raced city, withe different sectors for each race. The avians could be in towers, the florans in caves below, and the rest all in between. This would also result in some cool NPC interactions. Imagine a place where Hylotl and Floran have to live together! :nuruhappy::hylotl:

Passive racial bonuses are also great. I definitely agree that Hylotl should be able to breath underwater. It won't be OP because you get the water breathing pack relatively early in game. Other racial passive could be cold resistance for Apex because of their fur, farming buff for Floran, less fall damage for Avians, and so on. The past few weeks have really improved the game!

n1t3n and eksynn like this.
  4. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

Yay! Does this mean... Couldn't be that Racial Traits are coming?!

Edit: I propose a multi-species settlement/area/zone building contest!

Edit2: a few proposals for racial traits too:

• Hylotl, breathes underwater but hurts in the sun
    • Glitch, doesn't need to eat and or breathe but hurts in heavy rain or underwater
    • Novakid, glows in the dark but catches things (like the grass they step on) on fire sometimes (like sun bursts)
    • Apex, more protected against the cold but stresses/slows down when wet
    • Avian: lower fall damage and slower descent (almost like antigravity) but can't eat meats or swim very fast
    • Floran: heals faster in direct sunlight and when wet but can't eat grains and becomes slow in deserts - they can also float on water instead of sink, like boats. Fire is also definitely not good for them.
    • Humans pay less when buying anything and laser/projectile weapons deal more damage, but they also take a lot more damage

Did i miss anything?

Edit 2b: This mod that i literally just found has a more extensive list that complements mine very well. (i only kept the ideas i liked though. For the full list, check the mod page)

Humans
    • Base total energy increased by 170.
    Avian
    • Capable of falling further heights without getting damaged.
    • Falls at slower speeds.
    Apex
    • Runs faster and jumps higher.
    Floran
    • Constantly regenerates health based on light levels.
    • Energy regeneration rate is based on light.
    • Gains full double effect from eating raw foods [meats]. (Other races only gain half the effect.)
    • [Smaller] Additional healing from eating [cooked] meat.
    Hylotl
    • Capable of breathing underwater.
    • Regenerates energy faster while underwater.
    Glitch
    • Unharmed by radiation.
    • Tolerance to extreme cold and heat, is capable of withstanding harsh environments for far longer than other races.
    • Immune to poison
    • Unharmed by fire hazards
    • Does not require oxygen.
    • Cannot use stim packs.
    • Only gains buffs and a full healing effect from metallic foods. (All other races take severe damage from trying to eat metallic foods.)
    • Takes more damage from electrical [and wet] attacks and hazards.
    • Reduced [Increased] movement speed and jump height.
    • Base defense increased by 25.
    Novakid
    • Unaffected by Radiation, Cold, or Heat, Lava, Fire, and Poison.
    • Constantly emits light.
    • Does not require oxygen.
    • Cannot use stim packs or healing items.
    • Cannot consume any foods.
    • Explodes upon dying.

How about also being able to create new characters and make the old characters a part of the crew as companions, but you can switch back and forth between characters? Maybe add a limit of maybe 3 characters within the same save or something... Since they already share the same universe files.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  5. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

[Electrified] debuff would fit very well.

eksynn likes this.
  6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

These are completely unbalanced and borderline silly.

Why would the glitch get hurt by water? Why would Hylotl get hurt by the dun. Why do humans take more damage? Out of these, Florans are clearly the best because they have no inherent downside. "Fire bad"... yeah, so what? Fire is bad for everyone.

This is exactly why I absolutely hate the idea of racial passives, especially if they go forward with making characters server side. I will not be playing multiplayer at all if they do that.

STCW262 and Ainzoal like this.
  7. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

That Novakid thing seems like a good tactic, though. Build a grass wall around your opponent, walk around it, and when the Novakid sets it on fire, your opponent will probably be set ablaze.

eksynn likes this.
  8. lazarus78

That would only work on dumb AI, and isnt really worth anything considering a weapon would be better and faster.

eksynn likes this.
  9. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

Ok, let's see xD

Glitch are robots with exposed wires
    Hylotl are fish. Fish dries up faster than other creatures when exposed to air in general. It's even fatal for them, aside the lack of oxygen
    Humans are just generally weaker as a whole in comparison to all other races (except maybe the volatile Novakid?)
    Florans are plants, fire is Especially bad for plants
    And lastly, did you read the last portion of my post?
    I thoughtmost of what i said was pretty much common sense... I guess not.

10. lazarus78

- How do you know they have exposed wire leads? Plus, their entire race would become extinct on the first rain, so it makes no sense for them to be hurt by water.
    - Hylotl are based off salamanders, not fish. And no, they do not dry up faster. Water evaporation is based on humidity levels and temperature.
    - Humans can survive with 70% of our organs removed, and compared to other animals, we heal quite quickly. It is a trope for games to portray humans as being physically weak so that it makes for a better "come back" story.
    - Only dead plants. Live plants have little to fear from fire. They only end up burning due to the heat from the fire around them drying them out first. Go ahead, try and light a green leaf on fire.

Ainzoal likes this.
  11. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

If I ever get Starbound, I will convert that Hylotl city into my own Colony. It would be much easier than making a underwater colony from scratch.

eksynn likes this.
  12. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

While I think those ideas are relatively realistic, they'd make for pretty frustrating gameplay. Why play as Glitch or Hylotl if it will only hurt you? While I think it could fit a niche audience, that's more the job of mods than an official update. In my opinion, racial abilities, if at all existent, should either 1) not be a big deal and be acquirable later on (e.g. glowing, breathing in water, etc. can all be tech installments), or 2) should just make sense (Novakids glow; simple as that).

Overall, I think the whole thing is being blown a bit too out of proportion; racial abilities don't sound too tantalizing to me, and at most should be left as optional. Such is my humble opinion.

jakecool19 and eksynn like this.
  13. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

How do you know they're not? They're at the very least not immune to water. Besides, it's a cartoonish game and in cartoonish games robots that get electrified in water is a lot funnier. Relax and.. Don't take things so seriously.

Ever seen free willy? Besides, salamanders still need a wet environment.

Set in comparison to plants, robots, bags of gas, samurai fis-- salamanders, and walking talking apes, yes, humans are a hellalot weaker.

I'll digress on Florans though. It's true that living plants are less susceptible to fire
    xD but they still burn easier... Maybe the apex too then. All that fur and all lol

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  14. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Like it says in the lore the glitch where made to simulate a humanide race in all ways with iron lung,lead belly,steel liver,silver tongue,iron fist,g etc they can even cry salt water out of there optical sensors it also helps to clean the sensors

Most of you are too young to get the jokes here
    Also they really can cry in the game just hit the upward arrow button and you see
    Unless they remove it the instande i said this to troll with me

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    eksynn likes this.
  15. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

You have a good point. Maybe only the good aspects then. Unless you outweigh the goods over the bad? And i totally agree with optional - survival or hardcore are best for these

16. KFCdevil84

KFCdevil84 Void-Bound Voyager

Novakid - Glow
    Hylotl - Breathe or Faster under water
    Apex - smart apes = lower pixel prices? idk
    Avian - No fall Damage
    Floran - No toxic damage
    Glitch - Doesn't need air, only under water?
    Human - Hunger-Full effect time decrease

eksynn likes this.
  17. lazarus78

Yeah, its a game... so why have passive abilities that are based on realism?

- Augment/pack takes care of that.
    -
    - IIRC an augment does that, or a stim.... i forget, but its in game already.
    - Augment does that.
    - Pack does that
    - Useless to anyone who plays on casual, so they get dicked out of an ability.

Ainzoal likes this.
  18. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

Because realistic surrealism is the best kind of extra-realism.

19. lazarus78

I disagree. Keeping all the races on an equal playing field means no one is better just because of the race they picked. No one has an leg up.

Ainzoal likes this.
  20. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Why do glitch only need air under water is it a cave story ref?
    Also they have iron lungs so they do need air