Dev Blog 9th February - Under the Sea

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Leinad Werecat

Leinad Werecat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Underwater cities sound cool as heck, but my immediate worry is what stops the infinite ocean from flooding every building?

TeddyBearYoshi likes this.
  2. stabborazz

stabborazz Void-Bound Voyager

Aren't we all made from "star-stuff" ? :D Well, it's really cool ! But all races should have a passive ability.

3. Leinad Werecat

Leinad Werecat Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's why it said "moreso" :p

4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

OH THIS IS IT!! the kind of content I ve been waiting FOR SO LONG!! <3 well... unless you had *hush cheat* mods to spawn hylotl content, but still!

you absolute madmen!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Irrelevant with the breath pack

The back wall?

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Dungeon protection.

Leinad Werecat likes this.
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

You know, it would make for a couple funny shenanigans if they "forgot" to put dungeon protection on the cities

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Not sure of they are still active but there have been people that speak Japanese trying to translate the text in Starbound. :)

9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

They are saying....
    ワン
    ワン
    ワン!!!

well nah... id ask Odabutsu but I think they ve been gone for a while now

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm... really not sure that Novakid is actually casting more light than any other race does without augmentation. Their "skin" is illuminated, sure, but I dunno if the walls are that much more lit.

Certainly not enough to be really useful.

11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

but if they make it more useful people will call "cheating!" or "unbalanced" for the next 6 months

12. The Graceful Savage

The Graceful Savage Void-Bound Voyager

Very cool. I like the high density city idea. It definitely adds some contrast to the other village types.

about the glowing novakid... is this an acquired skill via SAIL or do you glow from first spawn?

if they get a racial trait from the beginning would that mean other races get racial traits too? glowing is a pretty substantial ability to have prior to acquiring lantern stick.

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

But lantern sticks... are so useless... I mean they give us a torchlight from the beginning... and lantern sticks is more "im being lazy" rather than "this is super useful" kind of utility

14. The Graceful Savage

http://i.imgur.com/OJ7YZIz.png from the gallery

Leatherneck likes this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, yeah. I didn't articulate my point as well as I could have.

Because I'm thinking this ISN'T a sign of inherent racial bonuses for each race. Because this "bonus" is really, really not terribly bonusy.

Lintton and Corraidhín like this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I think it sits on the level of "would you like to come with us" when asking somebody at the same time they are not being given an option, the bonus is there, to "make sense" while not exactly being really useful

17. The Graceful Savage

it takes up its own slot, not using inventory space.
    you dont need to switch to it during battle, microing when you should be fighting.
    It saves time because to lay torches you are spending coal. it takes time to mine coal. if you arent using torches you arent aiming your MM at coal anymore. you also wont need to spend extra time aiming your MM at trees

the bottom line is using torches is more cumbersome than simply being able to glow, making a lantern stick objectively more useful than torches.

Corraidhín likes this.
  18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Good point, tho you have to admit, you need torches if you are making your way around and dont want to get lost, since beaming up from the inside of a planet has (or will be) removed, in which case you ll need breadcrumbs in the shape of lit torches, whether you have an aura-esque light on your or not

19. Trek47

Trek47 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, since that's what stopped a USCM-style bunker I made from filling up with poison water, I'm guessing that's how it works.

All we need now are non-hostile human dungeons and the game is pretty much complete. :nuruwink:

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  20. GoldK

GoldK Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you very much for taking the time to make different descriptions based on the race on objects. It kind of annoys me when a floran describes something and sounds more like a human than sssssstabbing floransss.