8th September - Fighting Evil by Flashlight

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Oh, can the sword's special effect obscure the sword? Like instead of that bright energy being rendered behind the sword, it'll be on the front for few seconds?

2. Equinox80

Equinox80 Void-Bound Voyager

Omg.. Imagine.. Animated paralaxes that show monster and such like a giant centipede monster in the background of the empty gap in that paralaxes. Also scythes that call down a meteor to burn your enemies. Or summons shadowy spectres to home in on mobs for X seconds.

3. Zebak

Zebak Void-Bound Voyager

Now it is worth getting the ore in the walls and leaving the hole... ^.^ beautifull!

Equinox80 likes this.
  4. Merlander

Merlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I appreciate it and pretty much agree, perhaps with survival having gone away for now I started to wonder where this ship was sailing.[DOUBLEPOST=1441941342][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I definitely love to see all of this, but I believe such lovely little interactions are probably going to be later down the line, along with most other atmosphere stuff. That is assuming the devs plan to create such interactions at all, here's hoping they do, because it'd make the monsters so much more lifelike. I also dig the pokedex idea as it would allow a player that only wants to explore have a little more depth.

Ludovic likes this.
  5. ErkGloom

ErkGloom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anime was inspired by Starbound.

6. Daudknifeofdunwall

Daudknifeofdunwall Void-Bound Voyager

heckinati confirmed

7. Silverstride

Silverstride Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Soon as I saw there was an update, I was like, " Oooohhh yeah, time to check this stuff out!" But when I try to log into my server, I get this message, client server connection no longer valid . Now I can't play any toon I have. I need help!

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

...is your server updated for the latest update?

9. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

10. Silverstride

yes it is, so says customer service from Multiplay servers...as is my side here on steam.

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

There has to be an issue with the server. Ask Multiplay to update them again. Verify game cache through steam if they have to.

Dunto likes this.
  12. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I believe Multiplay runs a custom version of the server binary, which is probably the issue (based on other posts I've seen that state they were having build issues and hence the delayed update or something like that, not certain of source or legitimacy). If you can run the server locally and connect with your client, do you have the same issues?

13. Silverstride

I have had my Multiplay server moved to another machine, and got a new IP and port and still get the same issue. "Client-server connection no longer valid!" It also happens to my friends who play at home. Same issue. Everything worked 100% fine before the last update[DOUBLEPOST=1442113855][/DOUBLEPOST]I just deleted my local game content, and re downloaded it, added my player storage and still "client-server connection no longer valid!"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  14. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Try a non-Multiplay-hosted server. Run a local server and see if you get the same issue (the point of my previous post is that Multiplay is probably having the problem, not you).

15. Silverstride

well, that's the issue, if it works fine on another server, then great, but I want to play on MY server, where I've been workin' on stuff for the past two years. Getting on another server will mean starting all over. I don't want to start over. Multiplay had gone above and beyond trying to fix it on their side. They've said that what they have done has fixed this issue with other people, but not me. Are you sure that it's not something on Starbound's side?? Being my server ran 100% fine before this update and now after the update, in which the programmers said, "Please let us know how this patch has effected Starbound’s performance for you! <3" Well my performance is lousy. I can't play on my server.[DOUBLEPOST=1442150183][/DOUBLEPOST]Also it's here......http://starbound.gamepedia.com/List_of_known_bugs 4th one down on server-side....

16. Silverstride

this error is really getting annoying.....I can use my ship, and I can travel to some new planets I put teleportors on with no problems, but if I go to my starter planet or any other planet in that system, I get the error....how is this doing this? So the client-server connection is fine when I'm on other planet ans solar systems, but not fine when I'm on the original solar system. It's all the same game....why does some parts work and others not?

17. Dunto

Dunto Guest

You were asked to perform some simple tests to isolate the issue but you've expressed a lack of interest in doing so. No one has said anything about such changes being a permanent solution (yet). I haven't yet heard from any of the server groups here on the forum (who run their own dedicated box, not using Multiplay) about any server issues similar to yours, so it seems obvious to me where the cause is from the info you've given. You don't have control over what Multiplay or any game server host does on their end (nor do you have any guarantees that they're doing things the way they should be), so you need to set up a test environment totally under your control so you can isolate the cause of the issue.

I suggest creating a thread in the Multiplayer forum so the posts don't get lost in this thread's discussion. Also, the wiki you've linked is not the official Starbound wiki and has been known to have outdated information (search the forums for the Floran Party mission "bug" that was actually people trying to work off of such outdated info). You should always consult the official wiki: http://starbounder.org/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    Jonesy and Kawa like this.
  18. Silverstride

You asked me to do stuff that I have no idea on how to do, then you act like a douche and tell me what I express and what I don't. (You were asked to perform some simple tests to isolate the issue but you've expressed a lack of interest in doing so.) So what you're saying is to mess with it tilI I figure stuff out, being I'm not a programmer or anything, and prolly with screw things up worse, because I guess you think everyone that plays this games, also knows everything there is to know about this game and it's programming. I'm just a player of the game, that like to play with his friends, I pay for a server, because none of my friends can afford to do it themselves, but when Chuckfish releases a new update, and tells us "Please let us know how this patch has effected Starbound’s performance for you!" so when I do, you the moderator tells me constantly that it HAS to be the server and it never could be the update. That's pretty arrogant . Multiplay went way above and beyond trying to figure it out from there end, and from there side it works fine, but from my side, the client side, it does NOT! I came for help and all you tell me is to change who I run my server thru and that my server is the messed up one. I get more help on this subject from them and friends who actually try and help than I do the forums here and the arrogant moderators. Chuckfish Christ is perfect and can't ever make mistakes.....

It seems from My friends, not programmers, not all-knowing moderators have maybe figured out that it has something to do with the pre-exsisting characters we have, he started a new toon and his home planet, which before would cause the error, now works. He's actually helpful and tries to see where I'm coming from.[DOUBLEPOST=1442179548][/DOUBLEPOST]HA! I just noticed something that THE UPDATE DID, it changed all the planets in my original solar system and it changed the starter planet. SO everything I build and looted is gone now, becuase those planets are gone as well, I can beam to them, but it has an error becuase they don't really exsist anymore. That's what I'm thinking.......I'd ask help from a moderator, but they'll just tell me to do something I don't know how to do, then when I don't do it, they'll say it because I just didn't want to, when I jsut didn't want to screw thing up more. I also noticed in the past that this was an issue after new updates came out with tons of people, but again, that has to be their servers, or their computer, or something else on their end.

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You could also ask for directions....im sure people, or at least the mods, will be willing to step through it for you.

Dunto likes this.
  20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Do you really think that calling a forum moderator a 'douche' is going to make us want to help you?

Dunto likes this.