Dev Blog 7th July - BotW + Starbound Stream!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Liobuster

Liobuster Void-Bound Voyager

astounding work on the geysers man would be cool to see some of those on volcanic worlds

2. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Basically I filled like a 5x5 area with 10,000 units of water and then had a wiring setup that quickly opened and closed each geyser after lengthy period of time.
    When they opened and closed it only released a few hundred units of liquid so it could happen repeatedly but would eventually run out.
    And there is no way to naturally build pressure even on an ocean world so the devs would have to program in a geyser object to have it be viable in a natural world.

3. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

... how in the world did you fill a 5x5 space with 10,000 units of water?

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

With considerable difficulty.

5. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

wish I had a powerful enough computer to experiment like that, my game already chunks because my computer feels like its about to explode a portion of the time

6. Masta Killa

Masta Killa Void-Bound Voyager

The system of the geyser will be very awesome if it used in a volcano :megusta:

TheFloranChef likes this.
  7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

There is a mod for a liquid source but I haven't tested it yet and I don't know if it is still working. I don't think it would build pressure but it could be used to make waterfalls.

Just keep putting more water (from your inventory) in the closed 5x5 area.

8. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

I hope they add those geysers into the generator! Would be cool to have hot water that scalds when you touch it. However, any water would be great.

9. FearnWAZZA

FearnWAZZA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that moment when you realize the live stream will be at 2 am my time. oh well. Suppose i'll just watch the non-interactive VOD after. :nurusad:

10. Gnardak

Gnardak Void-Bound Voyager

Nice! :)

It would be cool to have this type of thing as a natural biome but I can see it being a real headache to actually make it natural. Even if you could build up pressure by some mechanism the wiring would quickly give it away as artificial if the player dug around it and exposed the parts. I guess something like this could spawn and appear as a natural water reservoir above lava but to appear natural it would have to be a really large structure reaching down to a depth where lava is common. And to generate the effect you'd need to have some water generating blocks to create the water and some mechanism to automatically release the pressure when it got too great. Both of these things would need to not drop on mining otherwise it becomes obvious that they are artificial mechanisms placed to create the effect but even then on the destruction of these things the geyser would stop working and so that would also be quite a giveaway.

One thing that is interesting though is the possible inclusion of this mechanism in a dungeon. There would be an excuse for it to be artificial or you could prevent the workings from being discovered and potentially it might be usable to use timing and swimming to use to traverse obstacles or have this be a lava/poison obstacle.

11. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Is the trick with the turret with the water gun not working anymore? I know the ball doesn't get targeted anymore, but if you'd use a caught fish?

12. Astrih Konnash

Astrih Konnash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can imagine a lava biome as an event (like the meteor showers) where the earth split a bit enough to the lava goes up, just to cool after and building a smallish (and probably short-lived) volcano.
    This actually happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ParĂ­cutin

Amazing work on both biomes, would love to see something like that ingame

13. Zilor

Zilor Void-Bound Voyager

The geyser biome is so cool, it really should be added to the game and used for other fluid types too. A volcanic planet with lava geysers would be awesome.

TheFloranChef and Astrih Konnash like this.
  14. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Will backgrounds change based on planet biome?

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Don't they already?

16. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I meant to say, will the background change the planet if you remove the place blocks and replace them with different ones? Like can i make a beach biome and would the background change to match it like terraria?

17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Biome is planet type of thing. there is primary biome, and addons thereafter. So I think the background comes from the primary... Unless that has changed... But that is how it worked in the past.:nuruhappy:

So technically there is no terraforming far as I know.

18. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

AW... :( I wish we could. Maybe it could be in a future patch?

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@gameboytj: ah, you mean Terraria-style. I understand now.

gameboytj likes this.
  20. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Yep, i hope it could be possible in the future.