Dev Blog 7th January - We Have a T-Rex

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I can see @sayter for this feature.

2. DragonOfTheStars

DragonOfTheStars Astral Cartographer

Got that right, starbound's got one of the best modding communities I've ever seen.

But remember, keep an eye/screen/brand? out for those Antiquus Dracho fossils, I must have them for my exquisite collection. :proper: EDIT: Also, can I get an explanation on how exactly novakids' see?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  3. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

does this mean its implemented? or not yet? YOU HAVE ME AT THE EDGE OF MY SEAT DANGIT! (planning on starting anew when fossils drop is why i ask)

4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

That is a good question! And I don't have the knowledge on that matter. I guess.. they see things with their brand?! Sounds silly .. I know. [​IMG]

5. DragonOfTheStars

Oh dead lord, I just thought of something!
    Anyone remember the Bone Dragon, now were getting all this fossil news, and with all this talk of revival capabilities....oh m-my...The POWER! (insert maniacal laugh here)

Yea, I guess that makes sense, either that or they see out of every part of their gas-shell. o_O

Garbacca and Hatsya Souji like this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

If this leads to us being able to decorate with weapons, armor and food, HELLS YES.

7. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

Man you built that museum over an avian burial ground, that's just disrespectful and you're going to get ghosts doing that. :nurushock:

Kawa and Crossfang like this.
  8. Bubblette

Bubblette Aquatic Astronaut

Please, oh pretty please, implement ability to animate/bring back to life a night in the museum style tablet to animate these!

9. DragonOfTheStars

Well, either do that, or learn some decent necromancy, there's a blue rat-thing-guy that I know who could teach you, but he's kind of annoying (tell me if you know who/what I'm referencing. :))

Bubblette likes this.
  10. Edotion

Edotion Space Hobo

Clearly the dinosaurs, learning of their impending extinction, quickly formed a space agency and escaped the Earth. They spread across the galaxy, eventually died, and were fossilized.

11. DragonOfTheStars

Note to self- use light necromancy to speak to space-dino spirits to locate remaining space-dino population.

12. Garbacca

Garbacca Void-Bound Voyager

Reimplementing and then being able to summon the Bone Dragon with dragon fossils would be cool.

13. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

Been playing the un-stable build today, as far as the 3rd planet so to speak or, forest planet, in the starting galaxy, im still having to spawn a /spawn woodencraftingtable to continue past the first objective, but loving the spawning of more city/built up area's gives the planets a more alive feel, one observation or two, is that, I have a quad core laptop amd a8-4555 with radeon 7200m , APU, the terrain generator updating was quite slow at periods, where i have to stand still and wait for it to catch up, this also applies to the outpost. and noted returning to my starting world, the generation was slower then prior to doing a complete circulation of that forest planet, ie i traveled the entire surface, so the "chunks" will of be genned and saved. and returned to my starting "lush" world, to dig around approx 10 gen tile areas left and about 3 down, it was taking upto 15 seconds to catchup, im not sure why, perhaps memory leak or actual use of main physical ram, I have 8gb of 1333mhz so it shouldnt be an issue, im running windows 10 pro, x64 and use the 64bit opengl exe, as it appears 5%/10% quicker for me, at 720p, then directx d3d.

also, the falling of items is really slow, like in slow mo, whilst everything else is at normal speed.

Is there any benefit for the game to utilise, direct 12 functions for multiple core processing over dx 11?

other then that, im enjoying the new stuff, please fix that first objective :) in the unstable! it is frustrating , esp when you want to play test the new stuff, when it is like stopping progression with out "admining", or as i feel cheating to progress, i understand its unstable or broken, but its been "broken" for near a month. also the floran mission :D needs the complete quest sorting :D

Silver!

14. Wow_Space

Wow_Space Void-Bound Voyager

So it seems a whole entire tech slot has been removed. Is the tech system revamp going to compensate for this loss if there is one? 3 tech slots is actually pretty limiting in the modding scenes.

arden03 likes this.
  15. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do you get to the protectorate

16. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not playing nightly but I'm subscribed to this guy and spoil to myself almost everything that they push into a nightlies there:

And I like almost everything that I see there. Those pet changes are awesome.

If they'll bring back this system I'll be happiest person on earth. Because recently I've replayed floran party mission and it has this huge underwater area. I had everything on me: xenon pack, protection-from-something tech. And I've realised that water is no longer a threat. After a point where you get your first envirenmental protection tech you'll never have a fear of suffocation because fire, frost and radiation protection have a built in oxygen supply (because every nonlush planet has no oxygen and yet there are settlements there and that's stupid). And since tech is not taking backpack slot you, as addition, can bring a bright light with you. So darkness is no longer a threat too. This is boring.

Would be much cooler if there were backpacks for every type of environment AND some armor pieces (or entire sets) that have this type of protection but those armor pieces (or sets) are not top tiers. So you'll have to choose: I'll have xenon pack on my back, armor that will protect me from the heat with damage boost additions but I'll be much more vulnerable to every other type of damage OR I'll have top tier armor, environment protection on my back and for the light I'll have to use an underbarrel flashlight (and this will make those lights useful again by the way) so I won't have any damaging alternate fire abilities. Or I'll have to bring buddy with lights so I can tank monsters without fear while he's doing excavation and other stuff. OR I can choose to wear helmet that gives me oxygen, backpack that gives me light and rest of the armor that gives me partial protection from the environmental damage. I'll take some damage overtime, but it's nothing comparing to a full exposure.

Another thing that I hope they'll change is npc's immune to hazards. I'd rather had some items that you can place to protect yourself (and your tenants) from suffocation, radiation, heat and cold like in the old days when you could light a camfire on a meteor field to protect yourself from cold : D
    It's also an immersion breaker, because I have an urge to build bases on planets with magma oceans and acid meteor showers and have a safe place in the eye of a storm but I have to walk around my little island of safety wearing protective gear because heat damage will struck me passively even if I'll build my base from ice blocks.

Also, Chuclkefish. Please add oxygen to higher tier planets randomly. Lack of oxygen is a cool threat and you're discarding it completely.

17. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I can't begin to imagine the kind of variety that could be put in for each world type, this is amazing. I'm really looking forward to this!

18. Wow_Space

Wow_Space Void-Bound Voyager

I already knew this was the case. It doesn't not change the fact that a tech slot has been removed.[DOUBLEPOST=1452229634][/DOUBLEPOST]

/warp instanceworld:qrotectorate
    change the q to a p

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Zetlin97 likes this.
  19. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Finally! Now we can extract the DNA from those fossils and...*advisor whispered on the side* WHAT? That is not how it works?! :lod:
    Fell at least I hope we can fit in some mechanical parts using them as a frame and get our very own T-Rexminator.

20. Orion_Pax

Orion_Pax Pangalactic Porcupine

Why T-Rex Scull? Does it means that dinosaurs are aliens? What about alien form skeletons?