Dev Blog 7th April – Manipulate What Matters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

How would that work? Maybe when the controller support is added.

2. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

So, it's... mining speed, mining area size, range/mining beam reach, and new abilities like liquid collection and something brand new? Am I getting it right?

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. ParadoxJester

ParadoxJester Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can't say I like the new site myself, but I am hype as all get out for the brewing epic adventures to be had once 1.0 hits and I can only hype more for what may come after.

4. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Probably liquid, wiring, painting there.

5. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd Phantasmal Quasar

The blog did need an overhaul. It used to glitch on certain pages. Glad to see that that is fixed. Also, on the MM topic, I will admit that I like the change. IMO the size increase was always a little unwanted (I'm a builder and the MM gets too big too quickly) seeing that be on the players choice sounds like a good idea.

6. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, Mixed feels...
    *Excited that we are inching closer to 1.0.
    *slightly surprised with site update
    *xBONE? Slightly disapprove. Interface would be amazing on Wii U or 3DS with the touch screens. And, P4 isn't much diff from xbox one. Still, okay feels on a console release.

7. DarkishScotScot

DarkishScotScot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Matter Proc Unit might translate to "Matter Procurement Unit." So that could mean that you get more bang for your buck. More blocks gained per unit when broken. Oh I hope I'm right. :) I won't have to shave so many planets for Volcanic Ash!

>EDIT< TanzNukeTerror's response is more believable. Scratch my idea.

8. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

i hope that we can upgrade the matter manipulator to be able to spray liquids so if anyone attacks me i can spray poison or lava at them or spray healing water to help heal people

9. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

will matter manipulator upgrades be

nonlinear in the sense that

there are various different kinds of modules that could go into the same slot

10. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

These aren't slots. They're unlockable upgrades. 4 paths, each with different bonuses, do them in whatever order you prefer.

11. Chloron

Chloron Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will controller support be a thing? local co op would be cool, too.

12. AdriexDoom

AdriexDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm feelin' this jazz for the manipulator, but as it stands it will only have relevance during progression phase. It feels like a glorified visual of the things upgrading already did. A little choice in specifics is some nice immersion, but each of those chains is looking mainly 'good, better, best' ish. Not as much of a 'Build the manipulator for you!' kind of experience. Might also be cool if the tool power upgrade increased the distance as well, plus dropped off in area of affect passed a point of upgraded distance. It's a welcome addition, going further with it or not.

13. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Everything in progression-based games has relevance during the progression phase. End-game is almost identical. It's not like the previous upgrade. Now you can choose from 4 categories which one you want to improve. Previously you had a predetermined path you had to follow. If you had read the comments already here, then you'd know that distance is one of the things you get to upgrade.

14. AsmodeanMage

AsmodeanMage Void-Bound Voyager

Well Ill be damned, had some worries with the 1.0 announcement, but you guys are really finishing up beautifully. This feature has been something I've been looking forward to for some time and I'm particularly excited for mods working alongside such incredible functionality. Its going to be LEGENDARY!

15. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Oooh. I wonder if this can be a basis for modder to make weapon customization mods.

Kezeal and lemon flavoured like this.
  16. Liquid-Tamborine22

Liquid-Tamborine22 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pretty cool setup, I like it! Being able to control your mining tool's growth is a good way to nuance one aspect of your character's journey.

I am wondering whether each upgrade is permanent or if you can take modules out in order to "re-spec" your tool. Myself I don't mind if I have to live with each choice I make, as long as the modules don't take too long to acquire and the first upgrade slots take very few modules, then I'm good with that, but I know it would be good to consider a res-spec option of some kind, whether just right there in the upgrade menu, or a service you have to pay for through a merchant somewhere, like that public space station.

I'd like to join my voice next to those speaking on different mining tools as well, much as I really love this setup for the matter manipulator, I too would like a little more use out of different tools.

One compromise I can think of that may work is letting players either find a merchant later on that sells "kits" that change your MM into different forms, or the player can craft such visual changing items around tier 3-4.
    My thought was initially that such items would just change the tool visually, but there would certainly be room to let the kit items give unique bonuses to the tool, such as say a axe kit making your tool more efficient for cutting wood, or another kit would let you go into a brief "overcharge" mode that let's you drill at two to three times your normal rate, at the expense of drawing out all of your energy and keeping it drained for a very short cool down.

In any case, I do like this new format for the tool quite a bit.

I look forward to seeing it in action!

17. AdriexDoom

AdriexDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Read the comments, yes. I meant distance as a companion upgrade directly tied to power. With a drop off in affect as the point of tie-in. The point generally in games and most things being made is to improve upon things, so it would make some sense to consider giving relevance to a feature you make in the progression phase hold solid ground as interesting to tweak in the end as well. I get the 4 categories of improvement choice, but it is basically just an elongated path to the same place- which I made clear wasn't a criticism.

18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I am so glad I kept all 2,000 of those Manipulator Module frags. I am a bit of a hoarder.

Leif get new Manipulator with nexxxt drop? Awesssome. Maxxx out, bring entire planet onto ssship.

19. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

I'm not sure if I would love or hate a feature that lets you mine every single thing on a planet in minutes.

20. shock piledriver

shock piledriver Intergalactic Tourist

im pretty new to this (started playing just before glad giraffe) and i think this is a great idea. this is what starbound was missing!