1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed 5-10FPS...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Shidiwen1990, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Yup, my friend is getting about 5 fps. But I can't even get it started :p

2. CabooseCXV

CabooseCXV Void-Bound Voyager

im running windows 8 and i cant get decent frames either, i have tried both the admin and regestry fix and nothing has helped T.T

3. Purzix

Purzix Void-Bound Voyager

Okay guys, the famous ''run everything as admin'' and ''disable compability mode for steam and .exe'' is just a little fix. IT DOESN'T SOLVE EVERYTHING. I'm still getting massive fps drops when it's rainning and it's ALOT worse when i'm near a dungeon. The game clearly needs more optimization.

The Alien Way likes this.
  4. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

Indeed, I have no idea how my friends are playing without the lag...

5. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

Performed every fix in this and the other thread, especially this one.
    Didn't work until I finally set steam itself into Administrator Mode.
    Will be posting this information in the other thread.

Shimo likes this.
  6. ThePIT

ThePIT Subatomic Cosmonaut

same here, I have almost brand new cumputer and FPS are so low it's almost unplayable.
    What is intresting that my friend with almost the same computer configuration have no problem with FPS at all. Only diffrence is that she have Radeon 7850 and me - 7870. (We r on Win7 64-bit)

Only in-game difference is that I was the one hosting server where we played, I had shitty FPS form the bgginning and she was fine.
    Then we left to play 2 separated Single player modes.
    She have new universe - no problem with FPS.
    I joined single-player version of universe where we played before (looks like there's one common universe) and I have terrible FPS.
    So the problem is that my game was created in server-mode? And ppl who made they universe in game after creating char or are joining others are fine? Doesn't make any sense :(

7. Sergeant Scryed

Sergeant Scryed Astral Cartographer

I will have to say
    this fixed my lag issue

8. Ner0nitas

Ner0nitas Void-Bound Voyager

Thx! :D
    Few frame-issues on the planet (rain etc...), but it's finaly playable! ^_^

9. Edeamous

Edeamous Poptop Tamer

Starbound options 1.jpg Starbound options 2.jpg Starbound options 1.jpg Starbound options 2.jpg Starbound options 1.jpg Starbound options 2.jpg I too was having trouble, I even tried the OpenGL change, teh administration change- then I decided to try something else; I changed a few driver settings explicitly for the game (I run an Nvidia GTX 260M, CUDA)

Now I'm getting GREAT FPS and the game is running very smoothly. These are my settings:

Shimo likes this.
  10. UndeadNub

UndeadNub Space Hobo

YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL.

11. amov1ngtarget

amov1ngtarget Orbital Explorer

Really wish all of these fixes would work for me. I'm running an AMD athlon II x4 645 processor 3.10 GHz. 6 GB ram. Windows 7 64-bit. Radeon HD 6770. The game is set to the lowest res possible and I still have fps issues. I have tried all of the fixes listed. Both the game and steam are running in admin mode. Neither are in compatibility. I have this same issue with chucklefish's other games as well. I get about 10 fps on wonderlust and risk of rain when launched through steam. But if I play them with out steam they run perfectly with a solid 60 fps.

Evinagro likes this.
  12. Kalerad

Kalerad Tentacle Wrangler

Ok, The game just updated and in order for it to update I had to do some things, so I'm not sure if the regedit fixed it or not...
    But heres a list of things that I did and I now have excellent FPS

I exited the game and exited steam, set steam to run as administrator.
    Started steam and noticed that an update was required for Starbound.
    The update kept failing ("Could not write to disk")
    Exited steam
    Go to c:\Program Files\Steam
    Delete the 'appcache' folder
    restart your computer

Upon restart I opened steam, updated starbound, and to my surprise it's running GREAT.

Whether the regedit fixed it or the update, I'm not sure, but you can't go wrong by running through these steps!

13. Envel

Envel Space Spelunker

This worked for me!

I tried every other trick in this thread and it didn't work, but lo and behold, this one did it! THanks so much GrandtTickler!

14. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Thought I'd toss a hopeful update out there.. Early today I was getting the mighty 1-5fps on planets after a couple mins of being down there.. They released the patch (I did do the HKEY stuff and administrator settings AND verified cache files through Steam after update), and running in openGL mode after patch my wonderous 2.20Ghz 4gb ram intel integrated graphics (chipset family 4, last driver update mid-2009) now plays at at least 18-25fps or better. Its a little laggy when entering unexplored areas, but at least now I can play :) Eventually, this game will run on anything half decent, if it already runs somewhat well on my sub-par non-gaming rig :)

15. LockeXXV

LockeXXV Master Chief

I've just returned to confirm that running as administrator and fixing the "grayed out compatibility mode" for Steam solved the issue. Just played several hours straight, no issues.

16. LegacyAU

LegacyAU Orbital Explorer

Has anyone resolved this issue on a MacBook Pro retina, by any chance ?

17. Hertki

Hertki Void-Bound Voyager

CAN CONFIRM: All of above fixes worked for me. (Changing settings, running as admin, etc.)

I recommend doing all of these just noting that they all do a part in making the game run that much more better.

18. djole381

djole381 Intergalactic Tourist

Same problem here.

19. Hertki

Hertki Void-Bound Voyager

djole381 Look at some of the fixes above. I am sure one of these will help you if not all of them.

20. Zoin

Zoin Yeah, You!

What ive noticed is that it seems only to use the maximum of two cores on your cpu (in case you got more than two :p)

Even so, my game runs fine really, that is untill I start to move around and it has to load stuff (I think as thats what it looks like) - then ofcourse if theres a ton of sand or gravel falling and doing physics stuff my fps tanks as well.

Which is odd as my friend claims that his game is running just fine (and my computer is slightly better than his D:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.