1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue 4-3 Screen Resolutions still not fixed...

Discussion in 'Support' started by BlueLeafeon, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

I would have thought that a bug as severe as this one would have been fixed by now, but doesn't seem like it has. This game is still not compatible at all with 4 to 3 screen resolutions, and it's simply sad because every other game I own works perfectly fine at 1024x768 or any variation thereof. I still can't move the cursor past a certain point:
    http://i.imgur.com/sGXxduY.jpg

Yes, I know I'm the minority. Yes, I know I'm going to need a widescreen eventually. But no, I'm not going to go buy a new monitor screen just to play one game. I was kind of hoping that 1.1 fixed this issue. :(

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Are you able to get into a game, go to graphics options, and set it to fullscreen?

• BlueLeafeon

It took some manipulation using a combination of dragging the window so that half of it stuck off to the left, and using my Xbox 360 controller, to get into the game. However, upon telling the game to go into full screen mode, my monitor went black and displayed Input Not Supported. After this I was unable to return to normal display and had to forcefully shut down the comp.

The same thing happens if I try to set my screen resolution to 1600x1200

• Sorainthy

Sorainthy Void-Bound Voyager

Uhm... would it be possible to set your monitor to high resolution and modify the main save game resolution to be windowed and a widescreen resolution which is part of 1600x1200?

1024 x 576
          1280 x 720
          1366 x 768

I cannot test it on the current notebook but I may remember that the main save file can be opened with notepad and contains those values. Maybe Dev can confirm or deny.

If your PC blacks out with 1600x1200 you maybe should update driver?

• BlueLeafeon

Thank you for responding, btw, ConcernedApe.

Driver is fully updated. I know--I checked.

I know I'm not the only person who still keeps older screen resolutions because I've seen several people complain about this issue before. There's various tutorials for "fixing" the issue, but it requires, as one tutorial put it, "hacking the **** out of your monitor" or the beta version at 75% zoom, or whatever. Not entirely sure those tutorials would still work--that topic seems kind of old.

To be honest, windowed mode fits my screen perfectly. The ONLY thing getting in the way of playing is simply the cursor being unable to go all the way to the right. If it's any help to ConcernedApe, the in-game cursor and my mouse cursor are not matching up when this happens. Made a video of it to show you what I mean:

(If you want to know how I got to spring 22 with this, it's mostly moving the window around as you see here, and using the XBox Controller to select things in-game. I also used the next screen size up from 1024x768 when I was playing. Using the XBox controller is how I opened that one window in-game when I couldn't actually click it during this video.) Doing this, though, got old rather quick, and I lost interest because of it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
            • Sorainthy

Sorainthy Void-Bound Voyager

Ah! I remember this thing was a big issue with windows XP and windowed games. Soemtimes you clicked on an Item on the desktop and in the game...

Did you tried the hardware cursor option?

As far as I remember there was an option in windows also... I will try to find it.

• BlueLeafeon

Hardware cursor option? In the game or out?

• BlueLeafeon

Hate to double-post, but I just wanted to update that I have used said hardware cursor option, and it actually makes matters worse because then I can't tell where the in-game cursor is, haha.

I've been googing the issue and this does seem to be widespread:
                  https://www.google.com/search?q=stardew+cursor+fix+windowed+mode&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Unfortunately, none of the "fixes" proposed have worked thus far. The only REAL solution seems to be switch to a widescreen resolution. *sigh*