Dev Blog 2nd February - Crews Control

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 2, 2016.

1. HellArcher

HellArcher Void-Bound Voyager

Solar radiation is not a joke!

2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

But blocking it with metal shields and a tiny metal ball launcher is.

3. Twin9aa

Twin9aa Void-Bound Voyager

maybe instead of preset ships there could be fully customizable ships

Solzucht and Axe Garian like this.
  4. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I dig this. Its a clever way to address the lack of meaningful extrinsic rewards available through the colonization mechanic. Mechanical benefits aside; the pirate bay should work well thematically as the more mercenary alternative to the pro-social questing and colonization progression. It makes sense within the lore that's being established right now,
    there's going to be a need for new protectorate personnel as well as a need for refugee housing following the tentapocalypse
    . Can't wait to see what this means for modding.
    There have been requests for mods which would allow players to bring the Avians they rescue from the tower areas back to their ship. Implementing that sort of mechanic could add a huge incentive to exploring some of the random dungeons, another feature which players really enjoy but find lacking in viable (meaning not vastly easier to get elsewhere) extrinsic rewards. Out of curiosity, how would you like to gain the crew members? Farm Florans like pod-people? Craft them from Glitch fossils?

Finally, I'm glad to see so so many reactionary posts that dismiss or diminish this feature out of hand. Because I've been itching for a reason to use this quote :

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Kelthazan and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I'd love a good Navigator that could spend days upon days scouring my Nav Charts to find me a Blue Colored Size 2,000 Extreme Difficulty Moon for me then Bookmark it! :love:

Also wouldn't say no to a good Doctor considering i'm good at getting myself beat up. (& killed...)

7. Subject941

Subject941 Space Spelunker

Uhhh... I kinda already filled my ship with npcs. But giving them actual jobs would be great!!

Axe Garian and Solzucht like this.
  8. Ichthyodactyl

Ichthyodactyl Subatomic Cosmonaut

It, like many things in Starbound since it first showed up, has a lot of potential for really cool (hopefully functional) game options. Also like most of those things, I really really hope it lives up to its potential.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i can finally make my army grow MUHOHAHAHA!!
    by the way will achievements ever be a thing in starbound also not only easy ones and not only hard ones

[​IMG]

10. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ITS HAPPENING

Wait so, this is a supplement to Konoko and Nuru and the hover chair girl, or is it different?

11. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    Y'know, I didn't want to like
    actually try that crew thing or... y'know, anything.

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. RyunosukeKnT

RyunosukeKnT Scruffy Nerf-Herder

there's going to be a need for new protectorate personnel as well as a need for refugee housing following the tentapocalypse

that sounds like something Japan would experience

13. kalez

kalez Subatomic Cosmonaut

We should definitely be able to outfit them, armor and weapons, as well as determine who does and does not come with you (waits on your ship) at any given time. Also, simple commands, such as Attack At Will, Stop, Defend this Spot, Target My Target, etc.

Maybe they shouldn't be any and all villagers, but specific ones that you can find anywhere, whether it be in villages, colonies, biome specific, or temples. If they are any and all, then there should also be special ones you can find.

If they die, it should take time for them to respawn on the ship, but they should not necessarily die easily. Having a communicator to call/command them would be nice.

I have been requesting these kind of crew mates since they started making Starbound.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm a little disappointed in you, Scival. Just a little ;)

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Kaladin543

Kaladin543 Intergalactic Tourist

When is this going to be implemented?

And when is the next update?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  16. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Humn.... Very nice, wondering if we will have a captain style pvp were we control small groups of troups with itens and 3 options, advance, stand your ground or retreat. In a two colonys fight pvp. Just imaginating were this can go. But i am already very happy with the results of this game. Looking foward to play all your games, i buy starbound in the initial fase and i am very proud for seeing you all blossoming into a great team and a great publisher. Always looking for your games. Also i am very glad for Stardew Release date and looking foward to play this too. I feel honored to see how all your games evolved.

17. flibergdde

flibergdde Subatomic Cosmonaut

Awesome!

18. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very cool! Everyone else has come up with some really neat ideas for the crew mechanic, so I'll just chip in to say I'm glad there's an incentive to build colonies throughout the game instead of just at the end when there's nothing else to do.

I kept wanting to build but getting distracted by gathering ore and equipment and never felt like I had enough resources to make it worth it, and never fully took advantage of the colonies or questing system. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes and what effect it will have on the player progression (and it's great that you guys already anticipated a problem by giving players an alternative if they'd rather save pixels than build houses)

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

To expand on the post. The basic idea right now is that colonists will ask to join your crew if they're happy enough with you. Once they're on your ship, you can talk to them and have them follow you down to planets as backup, or stay on board whenever you like.

We're exploring the viability of colonists taking on roles that provide ship based benefits. Things like health recovery whilst on the ship, fuel efficiency, faster travel time and so on. As well as providing hyper convenient stores and utility.

Haedes, Ainzoal, Axe Garian and 13 others like this.
  20. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

You are awesome. Just keep going.

Axe Garian likes this.