Dev Blog 2nd February - Crews Control

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 2, 2016.

1. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

You have no idea how tired I am of looking at my AI's stupid face. Maybe ship upgrades should add new details to our SAIL.

Spritley Jack and PoisonTrees like this.
  2. MalfunctionSB

MalfunctionSB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You just want to give them all red shirts... Mua ha ha ha!! :)

3. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

The sail should become more like a part of the crew than some stoic ai

I really hope they will seperate players from ships and the sails, so you can mix and match them and freely change them.
    Their interlocking and dependencies to each other makes modding them so complicated >.<

4. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd suggest adding two little selection arrows at SAIL's image that allows us to change it's stupid face to another. I mean, how cool would that be? Get bored of blue guy? Change it to Cyber-doge! Or a penguin Sail, or something suggestive of 2001: a space odyssey. "Small" customizations like this would really go a long way. I think I suggested in another thread the same "image swap" idea for Nightly Crafting stations, like after you upgrade them you can pick either look.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

Like some people have mentioned, I hope we can customize the crew and they'll have something to do aboard the ship. Not sure I want to have random NPCs just milling around taking up "space" if I cannot do anything with them.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Oh. My. God.

Crew members? That you befriend by doing quests?
    But wait, I have a few questions:
    By colonists you mean those tenants that moved to your buildings, right? So if I want crew members, but doesn't want to build, do I have any alternatives?

7. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is a really neat concept! Somewhat reminds me of FTL. Will crew members have different skills to assist you in different ways? I'm actually very intrigued by this prospect.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

I was about to rant for 50 years until, "Alternatively, if you’d like to avoid the colony system altogether, you can spend a bunch of pixels at the Penguin Bay for a shady fake upgrade license."

Thank you :DD

9. Crusher0008

Crusher0008 Void-Bound Voyager

Well that's nice and all, but with the new update my Starbound crashes, saying something about a ragefood error

10. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Wait, two different methods of acquiring the same upgrade? Multiple paths already? Oh boy oh boy, can't wait to edit my mod's tenants to work with this. This is definitely a neat feature

EDIT:

There definitely should be an interface option when talking to them, such as so;
    1. Opens up a window like the fossil stands
    2. Equipping them with armor/vanity puts it in the right slots, as well as weapons (Optionally, a pet slot too)
    3. A button on the bottom that says "Dismiss", so they disappear back to their home or your ship

If this is how it ends up, it'll be perfect.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  11. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

I love this!! At least a very nice reason (aside from the satisfaction of building your own town) to have a colony! I talked 'bout this a while ago, that it'd be nice to have a reason to build a colony with "practical" porpuses. Man, I can't wait for the update... Still not announced date?!?!

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, i'm ok with this.....to an extent

1. I don't feel right with the number of members on my ship accounting to upgrading it. Having a bunch of NPCs on my ship who may or may not do something...........reminds me of the outpost with out stores and quests.....so a colony on my ship....i can pretty much do that with the deeds......and i'm also having flashbacks from when the outpost was lagged down from NPC actions and scale.

2. However, i do like the idea of NPC companions, I figured if they do do this, they'd treat the companion much like a pet that you can also give armor and weapons to (and hopefully tech). If so, the player can have 1 pet and 1 companion tethered to them. Also if they can, tighten up the AI for set companion, i don't think people just want a random joe npc walking around getting killed by monsters and the environment.

3. To second the idea of the companion, need how we want them to interact with the world, which also includes when they die. I was thinking (and also in terms of pets though the current system works just fine) to add that when a companion dies, they teleport to the ship and are given a timer for when they can be available to spawn back with the player.

4. If we're gonna have them on our ship, i wanna know if instead of having the bigger the crew the bigger the ship, instead have it locked into the number of beds place on the ship, with one you assign for yourself so npc don't sleeping in your bed. Also in previous posts I mentioned the addition of ship modules, and job assignments to replace area decoration scanning. I would say as the ship gets bigger, player can set in modules to rooms on the ship (Medbay, Armory, Bunker, Cafeteria, Storage, Food/water processing, Lab, etc) and with these modules can unlock new features that not only affect the player and ship, but also the crew.

- For Example
    --- Say that you upgrade your ship to tier 3, you are now able to construct the medbay module which would essentially be a medical screen much like the capture pod screen of old. You place this in the room of your choosing. The module would operate much like a colony deed with the job application. Once placed the room will be highlighted as "MedBay" on say a map of the ship (thought that just an after thought) and a doctor can spawn in. The doctor will have very basic capabilities such as healing you, your pet, and your companion, as well as selling items to you. You can upgrade the module that will allow the doctor passive things like reducing the timer for when NPCs spawn in, offering more unique stims and medical supplies, even mods. The player may decorate the Medbay to whatever way they choose.

I feel like the player should have a maximum of 8-10 NPCs on board to avoid it getting crowded, half the NPCs being assigned jobs on board, whether its to find resources, provide supplies, or out in the field fighting, maybe even give them some witty banter if you want to.

13. lemon flavoured

lemon flavoured Aquatic Astronaut

I would definitely be very cool to be able to bring crew members on missions and stuff. Preferably in different roles (eg let us arm someone with a missile launcher so they can sit back and give us long range fire support)

PoisonTrees and Axe Garian like this.
  14. HellArcher

HellArcher Void-Bound Voyager

Let's don't forget that you invite COLONISTS, who actually do diffrent roles (well, only guards and merchants, but more can always be added). So, they won't just walk around for no reason. Also, this is just showing the inviting feature.

15. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

Is this real! wohoooo! I can finally have a crew on my ship without needing to create lots of small houses inside my ship!
    People to put in crew: Scientists, Guards, Glitch Cultists, Mechanics, Sewer worker, Guide and pilots

lemon flavoured and Axe Garian like this.
  16. Davidius

Davidius Void-Bound Voyager

Now all we need is an airlock.... and a guinea pig :)

17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well well well... That makes a sparle in my already favorite mechanic of the game. Gonna love adding to crew, and building those buildings. Don't know exactly how it may work just from this post, but looks like something I am rather going to enjoy.

Alternate ways is always a good thing, and what I was awaiting. :nuruflirt:

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

You can always do an extremely small "house" made of a few wooden blocks, put on a single door and a torch inside, and there you go, a "valid" housing in half a minute.

19. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

:0
    Yes! Guards! That way they can defend me from the horrible solar radiation that keeps attacking me!

By the way, anyone else find it odd that his paper wings are upside down?

Spritley Jack and HellArcher like this.
  20. Twin9aa

Twin9aa Void-Bound Voyager

:poke:this is so cool now we can have people for pets:wtf:

other news I NEED you to add a open to lan like minecraft or at least easy sever makeing