20th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

However, if you set it so there was no terminal velocity above a certain elevation (i.e., above the atmosphere)... that shouldn't affect dungeons. Then you could just start burning whenever you enter an elevation with a velocity above the local terminal velocity.

2. jezuitx

jezuitx Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm so psyched to hear about the re-entry flame thing. I had it in the back of my mind when Tiy was falling in that video, but with all the other little things you guys are doing it seemed like such a small thing. Now to hear that you're considering putting it in is just wonderful Sunday news. Keep up the good work guys, and know we're here to cheer you on/look suitably impressed when you come up with something awesome.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Jamtoes

Jamtoes Big Damn Hero

4. Chadpole

Chadpole Aquatic Astronaut

This. I want all of this. I want this put in the game seven times. I want the code for this within the code for this, so I can dive-bomb Sarlacc while I'm dive-bombing Sarlacc.

Anyway, all of the stuff I read in the updates is always awesome, whether it's polish or new features, you guys are doing a great job. I can hardly wait to play this amazing game.

Axe Garian and SolidSnake like this.
  5. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yay flaming re-entry into the planet's atmostphere!

I get to use this now: :fireball: Wooh, that felt good for a change!

6. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

Maybe if you don't have the correct equipment to break your fall, like a jetpack or something, you could get a unique character animation showing you diving forward, or falling on your back. Just waiting for the inevitable splat lol.

7. Ammonite

Ammonite Space Penguin Leader

Will i be able to go to Hogwarts if i jump from an asteroid and gather enough speed?

8. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

On top of that. Just because the planet is large, doesn't mean that the surface gravity will be crushing. It could have a small mass, but large radius. This would make the gravity much lighter than expected because of its size.

Hint: Inverse square.

Cruellyricisti and Axe Garian like this.
  9. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Will we be able to light on fire from the Code because we're Beaming Down onto the Planet? :p

10. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Sounds really cool, though I hope the flaming reentry is high up not when I jump down a mine shoot and start burning up :rofl: would be really weird and funny having it happen underground on a frozen planet

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. hylandpad

hylandpad Subatomic Cosmonaut

There is a difference here between those who want hard empirical evidence, and those who are seeking a more cinematic approach.
    You just told me why I cant turn into a fireball as I fall from the atmosphere. And I'm inclined to believe your facts and knowledge on the subject are sound. You certainly seem to have a much broader knowledge on the physics of it than I do, as I fear mathematic aptitude is not in my genes.

But I want to turn into a fireball as I plummet from space to the ground. It's a trope that's been done over and over in movies and games. Maybe it's not scientifically correct, and maybe it doesn't really happen. But you know what? Careening through space at hundreds of miles an hour, blanketed in a covering of flame just looks cool. It's badass. And I think it would add a certain flare (no pun intended) to landings, even if they are just botched ones.

Overall, what's it going to change? You still hit the ground and die - the only difference is, the correct way looks boring and unoriginal (I mean, I can fall off a cliff and die if I wanted to perish so mundanely) and the incorrect way looks cinematic and unique.
    If I fall into that 'unclassy' 'bad demographic' so be it. But I'll look awesome as I fall from on high.

Menasor, runiq, Axe Garian and 4 others like this.
  12. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow the Dominion moves fast. Already making moves into Starbound space.

[​IMG]

13. Exacerangutan

Exacerangutan Void-Bound Voyager

I have to admit, I don't really understand why time spent in the air factors into fall damage or a plasma trail at all... shouldn't this be purely velocity-based? You could set a velocity cap based on altitude to go with what Kbcamaster seems to be suggesting without having to actually calculate drag effects. For example, if you're falling faster than the velocity cap, you get slowed down at some rate, and if you're falling at twice the velocity cap (as if falling from orbit) you get a fire trail. Some kind of simple "water hurts less than dirt hurts less than rocks" modifier like he/she/it suggested could be neat, too, and probably not too tough to code.

Axe Garian and DaviDeil like this.
  14. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

I agree completely.

There are areas of comedic value, "cool" value, scientific/realistic value, and unscientific/unrealistic value. Some overlap and others don't.

It may be scientific/realistic to NOT burst into flames, but I don't see it as overlapping into a comedic area as 1John5vs7 is insinuating. I think it's overlapping into the cool value much more so than comedic.

I agree with 1John5vs7 that Starbound mostly delves into cool/realistic areas than comedic/unrealistic, but it also has a lot of cool/unrealistic stuff in it too!

I think this is an appropriate place to just add some spice to a falling mechanic. This is all opinion, obviously.

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Exacerangutan

Exacerangutan Void-Bound Voyager

I'd argue there are ways to arrange this without making it happen any time you're in the air for awhile, that wouldn't be hard to code, and which could be made possible with equipment and/or a little planning. I submit that you can absolutely get an incandescent trail as long as you're going fast enough. I'd suggest some (maybe altitude-dependent) velocity where you get a firetrail. That seems like it would satisfy the people who want a backbone of realism as well as those who want it fleshed out cinematically. Personally, I like to balance the two. Usually that means I get everyone bent out of shape, but I like to think we can find mutually satisfying compromises...

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Malvolio Portius

Malvolio Portius Pangalactic Porcupine

Soon all will bow before our might! Now if only Nexus was that easy...

17. ragingrhino

ragingrhino Industrial Terraformer

Oh dear. I must have interpreted something wrong from your previous post. Just for clarification purposes: I, too, wouldn't like a flaming ball around you when falling a long distance underground. I was merely stating the awesomeness about the flaming ball upon atmosphere re-entry. (Of course, this to, is personal opinion).

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Yay! Atmospheric entry flare!

Please don't you dare leave that out! In a game all about space travel you must have that!

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

Good work, as always, Exterminate those bugs! Starship Trooper Style!

Menasor and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sweet, bug fixes. :D

Axe Garian likes this.