Dev Blog 18th September – Starbound Vice

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 18, 2017.

1. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

[​IMG]
    when you get a bounty mission on someone dead or alive

Runa Rosarry, maestro kitty and Kawa like this.
  2. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

Lookss like floran will have to sspend more time building prison. Although floran prison may not be comfortable, so floran take out bed and place spikes for bed. Then prisoner have nice sssleep. Nice, long ssleep.

maestro kitty and ruddthree like this.
  3. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

When you die during one of the bounty missions but your clone comes back later with some better gear to finish off the mission.

4. Sphenicus

Sphenicus Void-Bound Voyager

It's time to pay...

5. SkinHeadBaby

SkinHeadBaby Big Damn Hero

When is this coming is there any news or its just tessers for next year :p

6. Mentater

Mentater Orbital Explorer

I don't want to be offensive. but is this REALLY necessary feature that have to be updated right now? I mean we already have tons of problem to deal with.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Will fixing those problems be more awesome than 80s cop flicks in space?

Kawa likes this.
  8. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

And, I'm sure some of these "problems", will also be addressed in the future update.. There is a thing called "bugfixing", ya know.

Which seems more efficient? New content + bugfixes, or just bugfixes? If they did just the latter, we'd likely never see a content update again. Users experiences bugs and quirks all the time. They're not blind to it, and they really do try to rectify them. It just takes time.

The way that they tackle updates (Content updates + bugfixes, a few smaller hotfixes, then repeat with a new update) is no different than how other games have tackled it. Terraria does it. Even Minecraft does it..

That said, I for one prefer the way they handle things. Means new content for users to play around with. (and a lot of times new toys for modders as well)

9. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

Going to be honest, this system seems completely dumb to me. I really wish you'd spend this time and effort enhancing existing features that are severely lacking instead of adding ridiculous mini-games. The colony system is still just a shell of what was originally talked about when it was introduced (still waiting on that colony progression), and the farming and cooking overhaul that was mentioned in early access still hasn't happened. Adding another random side quest system when there's already an existing random side quest system that could use a revamp, just doesn't make any sense to me. Why is this needed? How does this improve them game? Is it really any different than the existing outlaw hunting quests?

10. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

The procedural quest system they've made for the bounties go across planets and systems.....if applied to the regular quest system, some new content possibilities, and a dash of the 1.3 space objects, this can improve heavily on the current quest system.

DraikNova likes this.
  11. Astasia

But why add Miami Vice to Starbound only to maybe possibly backport some of the tech to the existing quest system, instead of just directly upgrading the existing system? Why do we need an entirely separate system that does the same exact thing with an 80s vibe? And they would do essentially the same exact thing if the tech was backported to allow colony quests to target other systems.

12. Mentater

Mentater Orbital Explorer

I wasn't telling bugfixing. I mean there is pretty much game mechanics can be improved like EASEL, quest generation, main quest and combat. I already played more than 200 hours and i'm pretty sure that this is awesome game. but compare to koala version some features are degenerated. I respect dev's decisions but I can not understand some decisions.
    i think this steam review perfectly represents my opinion.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/thatwasnotmedicine/recommended/211820/

DraikNova likes this.
  13. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

I definitely agree with that. Lots of things can be improved... but, like I said with the bugfixing, the stuff takes time. I'm sure they have plans, folks just need to be a little more patient with em.. lol

I'd get into that "features are degenerated" comment.. but it's too late for me, so I'll have to head out for now. (P.S. - I somewhat disagree on some fronts.)

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Also, you guys, bugfixes aren't as visible as new stuff. With new stuff, you have something to be hyped about and you can always presume it includes who knows what kind of bug fixes that aren't nearly as cool to write about.

Runa Rosarry and ManicRykker like this.
  15. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

when will i be able to do these Bounty hunts?

16. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

Plus, there'ss probably alot of background work going into these sssaid features that were already disscusssed. The whole "it takes time" thing is very true with these kindss of games. You try doing what Chucklefish doess.

I dare ye'.

(Gotta love these floran hisses. Hisssss!)

Really though, Chucklefissh has made an awesome game so far and sseem to intend on keeping it that way. It's not like they said they'd add ssomething then completely ignore adding it. I'm sure, if they could, they would be more than willing and happy to just make the perfect syssstem, or enhance one to perfection, in an hour. You just have to give them more thyme.

[​IMG]

17. Astasia

I mean, they have though.

https://playstarbound.com/colonies-and-endgame/

Most of that news article never happened, they are describing a system we never got and features they have ignored adding. Visual appearance of colonists don't change based on furniture position, there is no "feng shui" control. Colonists don't place any unique objects in their homes, like crafting tables or facilities. They don't offer items that lead to progression of new colonists. "Rare" or hard to get colonists don't offer anything unique or interesting, the vast majority of them do nothing at all. They never added enemies attacking colonies, and to call the system a "key part of Starbound's end game" is a joke.

I want that system from that article, I have wanted it for years. I've been excited about it and defended the current shell of a system we have now because something better would surely come eventually. They've done nothing about it. Years of nothing. Several updates post 1.0 and we still don't have the colony system they hyped to us. But that's OK, because we are getting a random quest system that lets us run around planets scanning things for clues, as if that's something we didn't spend the entire main story doing.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It does. The position of every object in the room, including the colony deed, affects the seed value for the colonist. The tags for each object in the room determine the type of colonist.

19. Ritsuki

Ritsuki Void-Bound Voyager

I don't really care about the colony system, but I must say I'm on Astasia's side for this one. I think the game is pretty good, but there a very big difference between what was announced in the beginning and 1.0. Way too much new things where added, and a few things that were announced never saw daylight. The game doesn't really feel the same. It's like the main quest, I'm still at the beginning but what I heard was that it's basically scan - dungeon - boss, where at the beginning we were promised something a bit more exciting than scanning stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's a awesome game, just not the game I was expecting. And seeing the number of deleted accounts and the number of messages dropping, I think they should do something about it, because again, it is really an awesome game

20. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ritsuki likes this.