18th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I certainly hope the urchins who have been so very rude over the anonymous Internet will display their spineless nature by being all kindness and compliments to you in person. If anyone starts getting in your face about beta release, call security on them, would you please? :)

2. cardboardsea

cardboardsea Tentacle Wrangler

i dont understand the word "tier" here, does "tier 1" means "Starbound Chapter 1" ?

3. Antilogic

Antilogic Void-Bound Voyager

Another cool update :pwease:
    All I can say is [​IMG]

4. Bizarre Monkey

Bizarre Monkey Big Damn Hero

I think Tier 1 means the first "episode" of Starbound, much like (though this is a terrible example) in Faster Than Light where you went up tiers the more you progressed. I wanted to think it was a Tier 1 Beta but I think it wouldn't have been needlessly cryptic if that was the case. Usually I'd expect Build 1 terminology for that too, Beta Build 1, Beta Build 2, yadda yadda.

On the subject of i49, I can't attend because i live somewhere isolated from the rest of the world but I'll check it from the streams that very likely will exist.

Part of me wants to just wait until beta to find out anything beyond the progress updates and what we read in the newsletters so I have something to experience the first time. That's probably what I'll do actually.

5. Silver86

Silver86 Big Damn Hero

hope dies last, i think after insomnia festival we might actually get beta:p, and finished game with the stuff u mentioned later on

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  6. ThePIT

ThePIT Subatomic Cosmonaut

7. Shadowbolt

Shadowbolt Big Damn Hero

i wouldnt be surprised if the forums crashed the day the beta is released

Krono, Heavy692, tassina and 3 others like this.
  8. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Do you? If so, what kind of business is it? Cause I may not have owned a business directly, but my father did, and he was passionate about it. I learned a lot by observing him. I wont pretend to have the level of management, or even the same kind of management as Chucklefish. But I'm not completely lacking in experience.

Furthermore by lumping me in with that other guy, you're response is almost irrelevant to mine. For example

I never for a second thought they worked less than 40 hours a week. Furthermore, if anything it sounds like you don't understand. Because while they may be passionate and everything, they have a deadline, and they would be morons to try and get a feature complete beta out by this stage. They're much better off doing what they are doing, and squashing bugs, and it doesn't take a whole lot of experience to realize that. Common sense, really, should suffice.

9. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

10. SerinityFyre

SerinityFyre Subatomic Cosmonaut

Impressive level of work! The polish is starting to sound quite shiny :)

11. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Yes, guys, the beta is near!

[​IMG]
    See?

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  12. marchello35

marchello35 Big Damn Hero

I expected something like this... [​IMG]

Heavy692 and ffinn99 like this.
  13. Lord Hatty

Lord Hatty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That picture makes it look like he's holding a microphone and singing very strenuously.

tassina likes this.
  14. LFPO8k

LFPO8k Subatomic Cosmonaut

new monster death animations? screw beta hints! this is so much better!

Bizarre Monkey likes this.
  15. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that the game is having all these tweaks and bugs ironed out now, as it will make for a smoother experience when the game is released...

But I can't help but get the feeling that "Beta" is going to be a very short period before the actual release, rendering it almost pointless. It's more like an early access pass to a "completed" game(because even at release it doesn't seem like you guys will be entirely done with everything you want).

Save for some minor bug tweaks and such, I feel Beta isn't going to be as much about collecting information from users to improve the game for release as it is going to be a "Here's the Beta we promised", followed by the game releasing for everyone else shortly after.

I'll enjoy playing it anyways, but it seems all these "bug squashing" updates are getting me impatient.

Krono likes this.
  16. TFGoose

TFGoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As I understand it (can't emphasize that enough), the game has ten tiers of progression in terms of quests, armors, difficulty, main bosses, etc. The team is trying to get Tier 1 polished and ready to showcase at i49 this coming weekend. That's it. I think all those that are assuming the announcement of beta is only days away are making more of this blog entry than was intended.

Beta is getting close, within a couple months I'd guess, but I don't think it's this week or anything. I don't think the intention was ever to release beta with only one tier of gameplay available. I believe Tiy's goal has always been to get the game much closer to "feature complete" for beta than it would be if it was released in its current state.

Heavy692, tassina and Prymael like this.
  17. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

I apologize - apparently I misunderstood your post.

Common sense is not always on display on this forum, I've noticed. Perhaps you've noticed as well? ;)

FWIW yes, I agree.

Prymael and Sousuke Kuroda like this.
  18. XVDragoNX

XVDragoNX Space Spelunker

Record Chucklefish at i49 if you value your lives

Heavy692, tassina, Kagosby and 5 others like this.
  19. Ragewar

Ragewar Industrial Terraformer

bug fixes while the actual game is not bloody released yet?

Wat. :speechless:

20. Xelphene

Xelphene Tentacle Wrangler

New tier means new gameplay-changing feature? How about:

After Tier 7 the game becomes 3D?
    After Tier 10 your character's AI becomes sentient and plays the game for you, you may only control its actions by altering what its conscience tells it?

tassina and Svarr Chanston like this.