18th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. "A new monster death animation was added."
    Do the monster's limbs fall off now or does it turn into body pieces after death!?
    That's probably one of my favourite changes to the game so far!
    Yay!
    Good job Chucklefish!

tassina and Svarr Chanston like this.
  2. Shadowbolt

Shadowbolt Big Damn Hero

since tier 1 is almost done and most of the stuff in the other tiers is already done my prediction for beta release is early maybe mid september if this game comes out on my birthday i will build a shrine of tiy and all the other developers out of solid gold in both real life and in game

pataplains123 and tassina like this.
  3. acravasian

acravasian Tentacle Wrangler

sounds really awesome :) glad to hear your doing so much for the first public show off, it could be really really important!. who knows.

4. THE_TJU

THE_TJU Space Hobo

Can't Wait for the Beta

5. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

its funny how events like insomnia seem to push dev's to work harder and faster than any kind of pressure the fan base can apply :p

Truth is, the pressure of meeting a deadline gets things done! not giving a release date seems to make dev's lazy and relaxed.

6. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

My brain just reminds me i pay for a beta look at the game (thinkin to see it as first) but the peeps at i49 get the first look :(

7. AlphaByte

AlphaByte Void-Bound Voyager

Dang it Tiy, I try to keep my hope levels low but the way you phrase things makes it too hard to not dream of the fateful day where massive absences from work and school occur: B-day.

8. acravasian

acravasian Tentacle Wrangler

At least you will get a look at the game only needing some bug fixing, they will just see what could look like a draft. (not a complete game). not that the beta will be but it will be damn much closer. :)

SpikeX and tassina like this.
  9. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

Even with a deadline, If you seriously expect every member of the team puts in 40 hours a week you're just gullible. And in most cases, even if a deadline is missed; any indie teams forum is just one big circlejerk anyways, so they just have to say "we're sorry, but the game isn't ready and we don't want to release a bad game" and everyone eats it up and moves on.
    Granted, Money is a big motivator. But it can also slow the process down when your only obligation is "estimated 2013".

I suspect a Christmas beta release.

10. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I said harder and faster, never said anything about longer, you made that up and therefore dis-credit yourself.

20 years experience in event management teaches you that the pressure of a deadline not only makes people work harder and faster but more efficiently too.

Its the truth of human nature, we thrive on stress, we adapt, over come, become better and sometimes achieve the impossible.

Not putting pressure on yourself can work against you as much as it can work for you.

I dont really care when beta is released, but as I said, this event does seem to have shifted things up a gear. Considering they estimate full release this year, your beta prediction is rather insulting I'm sure.

11. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

You're still wrong because you aren't taking into account the requirement of that deadline and the consequences. People are only pushed to do the work required of them, if the deadline only requires a working sneak peek then the focus goes from getting all the features into the game to getting what you already have as bug free and complete as it needs to be to. In the end development doesn't end up getting sped up down at all, it just continues in a different direction at an increased pace.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  12. Jake2524

Jake2524 Void-Bound Voyager

"So it puts us in a great position to finish up the game." .........................No................. Can it be?.......... BETA?!?!?!?

Svarr Chanston and Silver86 like this.
  13. Silver86

Silver86 Big Damn Hero

:O "So it puts us in a great position to finish up the game."

14. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Wow - I'm guessing that neither of you own your own business?

If you think the devs are only 'doing the work required of them' or are putting in less than 40 hours a week, you don't know much about owning your own business and the pressures that it comes with. I am fully confident that they are working longer hours than is healthy, and have a firm desire to put the best product they can out there, because their future meal prospects depend on them doing so.

15. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

Theres nothing finished about starbound, That sentance really in my eyes was like waving a box of starbound in someones face, then opening it and finding it to be empty.

Alpha_Squad and Svarr Chanston like this.
  16. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Frodew, Heavy692, tassina and 5 others like this.
  17. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

Kagosby likes this.
  18. Belgoliad

Belgoliad Phantasmal Quasar

Hm. Insomnia's gonna be a big deal, aye? I think there'll be lots of good news and positive reviews coming out of it. Or at least, I'm hoping.
    I'm sure many of us can't go, but I'm also sure there'll be plenty of coverage on '73H 1N73RW3B5" so we'll be fine.
    And also, at the odd battle going on ahead: Isn't any forward progress good? A bug free early-game will lead to good PR. Good PR leads to good things, yeah? And I mean bug fixes tend to be universal, so. I mean, I'm just saying guys. Moving forward is still moving forward.

19. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

...What.

dcsk8erboy likes this.
  20. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

love me some bug fixes :D