Dev Blog 18 October - 1.3.3 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Oct 18, 2017.

1. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

the kings are coming, I asked the kings for an update :nurutease:

maestro kitty and HachiYakumo like this.
  2. TheEnemy27

TheEnemy27 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, like someone said here, it would be awesome to add in this new update some NPC's asking for some more quests, like, they know something about your bounty, but if you want the info you must do them a little something first.

maestro kitty likes this.
  3. HachiYakumo

HachiYakumo Phantasmal Quasar

sorry, but you seem to have been to naughty for that. :C

davoker likes this.
  4. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, I received a note from the kings that said:

You have not been good this year, we can not give you your gift.

U_U

5. Loto

Loto Void-Bound Voyager

Come back from a break and have this reply. In the future please don't assume what I would or would not be happy with. Or how I would respond.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Even if you would be happy with/respond differently, the problem is, the vast majority of the people have proven to do otherwise. Unless you are trying to say that we should cater to just your preferences, despite everybody else's?

Here's a small protip: The word "you" doesn't necessarily mean you, specifically. "You" is also plural, meaning you + everybody like you that is asking for the same.

Perhaps you, as a person, might not act/react in this way, but I can guarantee you that most others would. I can say this, because they have in the past. This is why CF does not do this anymore, because the community as a whole has proven this time and time again, doing the very things that you quoted from my earlier post.

maestro kitty likes this.
  7. Loto

Loto Void-Bound Voyager

Yes you differentiated the "you" in you original quote too: "...You (meaning the whiny people, not necessarily the person I'm responding to here)..." My response was directed to the first part of the quote: "Let's be reasonable here, you would not be happy with JUST that. You'd be like "what, no information at all?" Even if it was not your intent it feels like a direct response to me specifically and not a plural use of "you" as the protip states. I'll say "Sorry for misinterpreting the response" Also I am not saying cater to just me preferences. Yes my original post was done with some anger. Having regular monthly updates and than nothing, feels like a big dump (refraining from vulgarities) in the face. I'll give myself a breather in the future before I post and keep things on topic.

8. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would of been nice to of had a Christmas posting tho dude! October is quite a longtime since the last post, I genuinely logged in today to see if they had updated the blog, i will admit i'm disappointed, in that there was not one done for December, like a progress report or another mini vid. just to keep the intrigue alive, I've owned the game since, raging koala, there pre-release blogs where something to look forwards to reading. but it does not dull my love of this game. it is actually one of the best games created in a longtime.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Woulda been nice, but again, if they don't have anything concrete to post, then there's really not much point to post.

Again, please refer to the above, where I said that if they post too little, people will whine about the lack of information. If they post too much and something gets cut/changed/whatever, then people will complain.

If they post nothing at all, people will complain.

There's really no way they can actually win this, and surely you realize that.

Yes, something would have been nice. I'm not disagreeing with you. I am, however, asking people to try to understand why there was nothing, and how we the playerbase as a whole are to blame for our part in that. The incessant whining has very quickly taught CF the same lessons that every other developer had to learn the hard way.

I bet many developers enter the video game development scene going "I'm not going to be like those OTHER developers who never talk to the users!" with that naive energy but very quickly, they are beaten down into the ground until they become just like every other developer because of how fast their playerbase can turn on them and spit some of the most hateful rage that humanity has to offer in their faces over stupid first-world problems like a game not being perfect enough for them.

To be honest, I think we, the playerbase as a whole, deserve such. I have seen absolutely shameful behavior from people over the smallest issues, it's just ridiculous. It almost makes me ashamed to admit I'm a videogamer to be honest.

Kawa and Loto like this.
  10. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

The devs don't have to show us a new mechanic. Another GIF of the procedural names of the bounty board would be enough for me. Like the old monsters of the weeks posts from 2012-2013.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

For every 1 person who says something like this, there are probably 10+ people who would be spewing vitriol about "IS THAT IT!?!?!" and crying out that they "could have done better" or "they coulda told us more!" or "We waited ____ and that's all we get!?"

12. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Sadly that's the case. Too bad for them, accept the GIFs or be starved of them.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, sadly they already made that choice for us.

14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

If the companies depend exclusively on the comments of people to update their games, very few or none will update, if they comment little is because they want, if the game is going to update, they will do the same, regardless of the people and their comments, I think you exaggerate a bit, this looks like a witch hunt =)

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If I were a developer, even if I worked for a company like CF, and I was in charge of making dev blogs talking about updates and if I were railed on and spit on for not doing things perfectly then I could easily see myself going "you know what? If they're gonna act like that, screw it. They can wait until the update comes out".

*shrug*

That's just me empathizing, and putting myself in their shoes I guess. The evidence I've seen (the growing trend of there being less frequent Dev Blogs being the biggest piece of evidence by far) seems to point in that direction.

I'm not on a witch hunt; I'm not hunting anybody in particular to be honest. I've been around these parts (though not active the whole time) since early Koala Days and I've seen some of the nasty vitriol the Starbound Community is capable of. I remember when we got Dev Blog posts weekly, I remember how some of the players would ask dumb, inane questions like "WHEN IS THE UPDATE GONNA BE!? WHY IS THE GAME STILL IN BETA!?" Why this, why that, we want this, we want that.

Or worse, update day.

I can't imagine a worse thing than being a developer (or even the PR person like Mollygos) and being in the position of working hard on something to have a group of people stand up and go "psssh, this sucks. why can't you guys do a good job?"

I can't imagine what goes through their minds when they put hours upon hours upon hours into this game, for people to so crassly dismiss their efforts and/or drag them through the mud for it.

EDIT: It's also the reason I much dislike the fact that certain youtubers whined so much about Yooka-Laylee. There were a rather large group of gamers who wanted a faithful-to-the-90s platformer and we got that and certain loudmouths with video cameras and large audiences go "pssh, this sucks because it's too much like the 90s". Well, duh, it was SUPPOSED to be like a 90s game. Thanks for ensuring that such never happens again. /sarcasm

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It would surprise absolutely noone to learn that there was a guy on Discord just recently who "quite clearly prefered" the old hotbar behavior.

I wish I was joking.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  17. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

That is the daily bread for the developers, unfortunately they get used to it and simply ignore the comments that deserve to be ignored.

I myself many years ago towards pixel art works (at home level, you understand me) for games like Ragnarok Online, I made mobs, maps, etc, which then exposed and shared, and there were still people who instead of giving a constructive criticism, they threw shit to my work.

It hurts, but you get used to it, are "the usual", people who are dedicated to ... annoy? For free, the developers will not be surprised by that, if there are 4 of these characters, there are 4000 people grateful for their work, and that is what counts for the developers, the people who value it.

PS: The best way to hurt them is to "ignore" them, simply.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Everybody has their own preference and we are all entitled to have our opinions, and I cannot blame someone for being annoyed with the lack of a choice to use the old over the new.

And before they allowed us to mod the hotbar, I myself was very annoyed that we had to go from 10 buttons/pairs down to 6 on a given hotbar and made myself rather vocal.

But they fixed it, and that's a non-issue now. I perhaps said things I shouldn't have in the heat of the moment, but a major UI change like the hotbar is something they should communicate with the players more about, ahead of time lol. IIRC, that was just dumped on us on the spur of the moment with little prior warning.

But anyways, that's in the past and we've since fixed the issue.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's not so much the what as it is the when. Months upon months of silence on such topics and suddenly bam there they are.

Makes a man glad there's a way to legally obtain older versions of the game.

20. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I notice slowdowns when I "use the pixel printer", when you have scanned a lot and it is very full of items to print, when opening it in the game it gives jerks, slowdowns, when you close the printer everything returns to normal.

By the way, really there are no plans to translate the game to the most basic languages? People have asked for a lot, have not commented anything? German, French, Spanish (Spanish includes many countries), have you ever said anything about this topic?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    STCW262 likes this.