Dev Blog 18 October - 1.3.3 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Oct 18, 2017.

1. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy Space Hobo

If we could get some sort of retribution for just guessing codes, like a trapdoor opening or turrets going off, that'd be cool.

2. MyrkridianJr

MyrkridianJr Void-Bound Voyager

i would like to see a encounter with another bounty hunter in the middle of his bounty hunting that you can interrupt and steal the bounty from. In space nobody can hear you being greedy! *EVIL LAUGH*

maestro kitty likes this.
  3. Mini_Paceed

Mini_Paceed Space Hobo

I would like a "battle of wits" minigame/type of thing with some underlings to convince them to reveal the code, rather than always having to use brute strength.
    This could be something like a series of funny dialogue choices, or maybe a dance competition?

Cloot, Waffle_Muncher, Godbot and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I hope 'social engineering' constitutes more than just 'physical assault'.

It'd be nice to have a dialogue system added to try and actually trick people into giving you information, or at least have some way of bribing them or doing them a favour.

xaliber, Godbot, xan713 and 8 others like this.
  5. TheLogicMonster

TheLogicMonster Master Chief

I like this. Maybe not all of the bounties have to be criminals? You could have an escaped mental patient, one who will agree to go back if you bake them a chocolate cake? you have the option of beating them senseless and throwing on the cuffs, then go collect your reward, or you bake the cake and they come along quietly, you get your reward plus a bonus from the bounty as thanks for the cake.

6. Chizuru Minamoto

Chizuru Minamoto Subatomic Cosmonaut

Exactly, they don't have to all be bad guys. They don't have to all want to fight either, or to all act the same way. Some could just be "Oh you found me... Okay then, I give up" because nobody found them before, while others could just want your instant death, but I think it'd be important to not make everything just a fighting game. Like I said, even if your bounty wants to try and beat you at a game, I dunno, chess or an arcade game or something else, and if you beat them, you get to cuff them for free, otherwise you have to fight them, that could be cool. The point of the bounty hunting is probably not to be Batman and beat everybody until they get so scared they wont even sleep at night :nurutease:

xaliber, Corax, DragonsForce and 2 others like this.
  7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Absolutely Astounding Good job devs!

8. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES! Thank you so much! The hot-bar crash has been keeping me from playing this game a for a couple months now. Now I can finally get back to playing one of my favorite games! :avalilol:

Captain Rage likes this.
  9. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Well, this is interesting. Since it's an update of sorts, I suppose I haven't broken my comment pattern.
    Now, there are a variety of ideas I have for this sort of thing.
    You could easily have a similar gateway, but instead of numbers, you must somehow hack your way past the door.

Or perhaps by setting a special sort of trap in one area, and hiding in another room while they teleport back in, only to be caught in it.
    That would make sense if they were watching the room you were in, such as in their office.
    Not to mention you could change the way the numbers and casing are styled on the keypads if it's a more ancient structure.
    (Stone number-pad for an ancient building, and so on. After all, isn't it the same for teleporters?)

And besides, what of the possibilities of some sort of car chase, or at least something similar?

TheLogicMonster likes this.
  10. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I’d hope to see:

References to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, and various other hints and references from prisoners and bounty games in the bounties. That’d be great.

Perhaps put some devs in there as a super rare Easter egg gang, in any form you think is suitable to be treated ;)

Would need to have a special location, a proper mission tied to it, a mega space super maximum security mega prison (where else do your bounty trophies end up?), and maybe at some point - having to break or legally borrow someone out of prison — would be interesting - an NPC who could be an investigative lead who’d help you track someone down, to help close down a bigger syndicate

I’d probably also laugh myself stupid if there was (one or two times ever) ridiculous Clint Eastwood eye stare down between you and a bounty before any violent or apprehending action happens. Just extend the eye stare down to an almost, just bareable but uncomfortable length of time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  11. chacalik

chacalik Void-Bound Voyager

Development is going great! Good job there!
    I would only sugest you guys to bring us a Modding Tool Kit for making our mods more dynamic, thinks like a ingame map editor, a way to make the universe (an already created universe) and so!
    Everything else in this game is outstanding, I wonder what FrackinUniverse would bring us if they had the tools for it.

Excellent job, that was my best buy ever on Steam.

12. TheLogicMonster

TheLogicMonster Master Chief

It would be cool to see something like "the only one with the code you need went missing in a hive micro biome" and then you have to go rescue them, fighting your way into the hive and breaking them out of a mysterious cocoon or something like that. Maybe kidnapped by cultists and stuck in a force cell.

13. Cubeking2311

Cubeking2311 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to see a bounty put out on a character who turns out to be the sheriff, or some random guy who just owed like 37 cents to a gangster. That way, you have the option of just cuffing an innocent civilian to get the job out of the way (And get a penalty, like having him stuck in the same place as the rest of the bounties, and whenever you go there he just yells stuff like "I didn't to anything! Let me out!") Or you could listen to them, find out who might have put a bounty on them, and do some old-fashioned sleuthin' to find out which mafia boss or whatever should really be brought in. Doing it this way would net you some big reward, like a unique "50's Noir Detective" style hat and coat, or maybe an old, restored Terran Tommy gun. Just a thought.

14. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

This is great! I love that bounty hunting gives you quests that will take you off-world.

Fighting a single NPC isn't that hard, after all. It's the fantasy of exploring and hunting down these characters that makes bounty hunting so appealing.

15. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yeah, 'cause the game's totally able to handle that and won't just throw you out of your hoverbike as soon as you hit an unloaded chunk.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Kawa likes this.
  16. Hafiel

Hafiel Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know 'bout you, But I like to feel horrible, I would personally like to every once in awhile on the ones you have to kill, their kids come out and call us monsters.... I think I'm just a horrible person. . . well then. . . .

17. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Neato! So glad the bounty suggestions are going places. Conceptually simple but so valuable as something to do.

18. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok then. Just anxious. That's all. I feel like that sandbox have a lot of information but i feel that the npcs just don't put things to move. Like the world around me don't evolve. That's what annoy me. Not vanity of making the difference. But when i see a pattern i want to dissecate it and resolve. Also. Bounty hunters are not so simple as one target. Usually they work in a dark castle of cards.

19. SHFranky

SHFranky Void-Bound Voyager

I've got quite a few ideas for this. I'll try to give extra details and examples. Also I'm personally a big fan of having multiple options, so a lot of these include moral dilemmas that could possibly provide different rewards based on the decisions you make.

- Instances where instead of fighting, they actually flee through dangerous areas to get away, and you have to try and chase them down, maybe using alternate passages or something to catch up to them... and if you fail to catch them you have to track them down again.

- Times where they try and get you to see their point of view, and maybe ask you to help them. Examples:
    • They're wrongly accused so you end up having the option of clearing their name or just taking them in for their bounty anyway.
    • They have a family to feed, and maybe offer their own reward for letting them go, or maybe ask for help against the ones who are after them.
    • They're being forced to aid criminals (since it seems like most of these bounties are in gangs), and in return they help you bring said gang down.
    • They're about to be lynched and need you to help get them out alive (i.e. They're about to by lynched by other criminals and agree to surrender if you get them out alive).
    - They hold hostages, or perhaps some other threat preventing you from getting to them. Different scenarios might include:
    • Perhaps they set timed bombs set to blow if you don't get to them in time.
    • Maybe you enter a room and they have hostages, and tell you to leave, then you're left with a few choices:
    A.) Leave
    B.) Find a way to sneak in and surprise attack, maybe even using a mechanism that will suppress them instantly:
    a.) Knock-out gas
    b.) Some sort of trap, like a trap door.
    c.) A sniper turret (not sure if all these bounties are wanted "alive"), or some other interactable that instantly takes them out.​
    C.) Ignore the hostages and go for the bounty (thus getting all the hostages killed).​
    • They set traps with hostages, forcing you to either save the hostages, or go for the bounty.​

- You go through towns, inquiring about a certain bounty... and perhaps you ask the wrong people and have to face the consequences (the hunter becomes the hunted):
    • Maybe someone feels scared so they rat you out.
    • Maybe you unknowingly are talking to a group of the bounty's friends.
    • Or maybe it works out, and someone who hates them agrees to help you out.
    • Or maybe the town themselves is being controlled, and needs you to help free them from the bounty's tyranny.​

As far as different rewards go, I know it might be hard to really make it feel worth it to choose one option over the other, I think even if it's just through dialogue it'd make it seem more unique. A few examples for different rewards, based on moral decisions, that I think would work:
    • A hostage you save offers you some interesting thing they managed to snag while held prisoner
    • Certain scenarios, such as the one where you help clear a bounty's name, or free a prisoner, etc. maybe they want to join your crew.
    • Someone who you helped out gives you their family heirloom, which could be a weapon, or even just rare materials.
    • If you do end up freeing a town, they offer discounts at stores, or give you a lot of pixels.​

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    DragonsForce and NuclearSlayer52 like this.
  20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yeah, because they can just like, dump all your ideas into the code generator, hit "start" and it instantly outputs finished and optimized content.

Godbot and Kawa like this.