14 days of no rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Jul 17, 2019.

1. GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

And this is why that has been extremely frustrating for me: 12 days ago, I FINALLY hit 10 hearts with my love Alex. I got him a bouquet and we had a nice private dinner together. Next up, I needed to get the pendant, which was only available when it rains. Fourteen. Days. I've been waiting. I realize it doesn't rain much in summer but what kind of bad luck is THAT.

FINALLY it's going to rain "tomorrow". And as luck as would have it, that's also Alex's birthday. I think Alex is going to have a VERY good day...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

RNG plays a role in that. You need something that requires rain (a fish that only shows up in the rain, the pendant, a few other things) and it gets REAL frustrating when you get "nice weather (or at least not rain)" over and over. If you are far enough along you can create rain totems to help that, but if you aren't... I needed an eel for the CC and there was 20 straight days of nice weather for Spring and then went into summer (another 6 days), which meant either waiting until Fall to get the it or hoping the travelling cart lady had it (she didn't, had to wait for fall)

GeekWoman likes this.
      • GeekWoman

I suppose that's quite realistic. Higher chance of rain in the spring and fall. I think there have been maybe 3 rain days in my game for this summer. But it was enough for me to finally marry Alex. He's been quite handy. Even gave me a star something that I accidentally "ate" immediately. But it upped my energy bar which should help this winter in the mine.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

That's a stardrop, which you eat automatically. It increases energy by a set amount, making things MUCH easier. The one disadvantage to starting over is you realize that 270 energy (the starting point) becomes somewhat problematic because there's so much to do and you can't use the spa for the first month to recharge. Hope you remember to save a few food things to scarf down!

• GeekWoman

All good suggestions. When I first started, I saved the seaweed I have fished up to eat while in the mines. It saved my bacon so many times. At one of the last festivals, I got another stardrop from the vendor so my health is much better. The game seems to progress you pretty well if you're paying attention.

As for starting over, I almost NEVER do that in a game (unlike most gamers I know). Unless I totally botch something, I stick with what I've got. My only regret is when my skills forked, I had no idea what the screen was when it first popped up and I selected something thinking I would get an explanation. I had no idea what I was doing. That's kind of a bummer. But I'm in mid-winter of year two. Definitely not going to start over because of that.

The real bummer of a good bit of rain in the FALL is that it used a lot of my hay for the animals. I wasn't able to scrounge enough to fill my silo and by my calculations, I won't have enough to get them through the winter. That's going to cost me a good bit.

EDIT: Just had to edit this. Marnie sent me 30 hay to help for the winter. Excellent timing!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
            • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Once you donate 60 items to the museum, it'll unlock an area which has a thing where you can pay 10,000g to change any one skill tree. Not sure how your money's going, so that may or may not be a reasonable amount for you, but it's an option. (If you're a decent fisher you should be able to make that amount from a few days of fishing, if nothing else.)

GeekWoman likes this.
              • GeekWoman

Oh awesome! Money is going pretty good. That void mayonnaise may be nasty to eat but apparently whoever I'm shipping it to loves it! I make at least two jars a day. Along making cheese and my other activities, I'm making between 1500-2500/day. I'm upgrading tools and buildings as I go so 10k won't be hard to spend. Not sure how close I am to 60 but I"ll check. Thanks for the tip Elenna!

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Goblins, there's a lost book that says that they love void mayo. Apparently Mayor Lewis ships stuff to goblins! (Maybe he doesn't realize it, and it's sent to a PO BOX?)

GeekWoman likes this.
                  • GeekWoman

I accidentally ate a jar of void mayo the other day. Ick. But my bank account likes it! Hopefully that deal the Mayor has made will help. I have enough creatures to fight!

• Jedediahsmithy

Jedediahsmithy Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder what the longest anyone has gone without rain...drought record?

• motiam

motiam Void-Bound Voyager

Also curious.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well I started a new game last week. Outside of the set day of rain on Spring 3 there were no other rain days in spring. Summer had 2 days of rain and thru the 16th of Fall there has been no fall rain. The extended drought in the valley has made it hard to catch the rain only fish. I am also afraid that the Forrest will catch fire. I hope to see some rain in game well and we need some here in real life.

Ltfightr, Oct 23, 2017

I posted this a couple of years ago. Whats funny where I lived was going thru a drought in real life also.

• Elenna101

Summer 13 and summer 26 are always rainy, every year. So up to the 16th of fall you haven't gotten any random rain days at all. Are you sure your game isn't bugged? :p

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a couple of thousand game hours in the game and have restarted several times this one was 2 years ago now and I have yet to see a game like it again. The current one I am playing is the exact opposite. I have not counted but other than festival days there have only been a handful without rain.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I went through a completely dry Fall on a speed run a few weeks back. I'm absolutely certain that there wasn't a single rainy day, because during Fall you are actively waiting for a rainy day to go out and get the five rainy day fish for the bundles, plus the tiger trout and sardine, so that threw me out badly and I had to bodge the fishing in year 2, which cost heaps of time. Given that it never rains in Winter and can't rain on Summer 28 or Spring 1, that means it was at least 58 days without rain, although it could well have been much longer

• Elenna101

...oh, right, you did say that. And linked the post. I can't read apparently. :p