1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

14/4 AMA - New Game Info [Updated]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Isn't terraforming supposed to be in the finished game?

No problem if it isn't in the initial release, though. Just wanted to point this out, as it might cause bad press later on.

The space station's mentioned on the same page, too. They really need to update that.

Bacon and Leokins like this.
  2. I think what Tiy said in the Q&A was referring to making dead planets habitable.
    This is terraforming, just to a whole 'nother level.

Leokins and Bacon like this.
  3. Well, there may be an whole Terraforming feature to come. But it does not 100% means that like it describes there isn't items to chance weather, terrain, in a more simple way.
    Still, they are careful when saying something is coming at release and pos-release. I'm not sure where is that written? I already read it somewhere!

Leokins likes this.
  4. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

"The engine handles planets of multiple biomes and we actually used to have multiple biomes enabled. In the end we decided to give each an individual biome so the planet had more of an identity (think jungle/desert planets in starwars). To make up for that we added sub-biomes. An example of a sub biome would be an oasis in the desert."

I have mixed feelings. I am both very excited and slightly disappointed! Sub-biomes seem like a great idea! It adds variety while giving each planet more of an identity, as stated. I wonder what the other ones will be? Yet I hope occasionally, not too often, the sub-biomes will differ greatly from the main biome of the planet. That way there could sometimes be planets similar to earth... but those shouldn't be too common, just some here and there.

5. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Perhaps this could be an option when terraforming your home planet?

Bacon, Shippo and Leokins like this.
  6. RukasuSama

RukasuSama Void-Bound Voyager

Wow! Seems impossible not to be exited about this game. Every new piece of info is an excitement.

7. Cloudpiercer

Cloudpiercer Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for summarizing this, I've been digging through those comments trying to read everything and there is so many now it got out of hand.

Some of the info was Tiy touching on things hes said before but its nice to hear him confirm some of those features are still around. I was curious about the taming system since I didn't see it mentioned on the roadmap but it looks like its still in. I really hope we can build our own personal zoo with random creatures from around the universe.

Coonix, Bacon and Leokins like this.
  8. Tetrisash

Tetrisash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really wish Reddit would get a better layout for its threads. Because it really is obnoxious to sort through, and I don't know devs choose to do Q&As on it so much...

Bacon, WoxandWarf and Leokins like this.
  9. V For Vendetta

V For Vendetta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for the wonderful thread full of good info. It must've taken a long time to construct this post, thank you for that. I hope you have a good day/night.

Bacon and WoxandWarf like this.
  10. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So, no confirmation for Q3, but effective affirmation that it could be later than that.
    After missing the first two (arguably three) tentative release timeframes, I can imagine people might start getting cross with Tiy if he announced a date only to screw it up and miss it.

Bacon and WoxandWarf like this.
  11. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

Yes! :cool:

Bacon likes this.
  12. Iroza

Iroza Phantasmal Quasar

Info consumed. The people are most pleased.

Bacon likes this.
  13. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome! Great to see everything summed up. Now instead of finding and permalinking to individual posts I can link everyone to this forum post for simplicity of reading.

Also, what about Molly's and the other dev's responses. I believe Rho commented on a few things such as her inspirations when making things in Starbound (and Gnomoria). Demanrisu, Bartwerf, Kyren, and OmnipotentEntity also commented on some things as well.

WoxandWarf and Bacon like this.
  14. Indeed. I also had Mixed feelings when I saw it's 1-biome only, then less variety than Terraria. I'm wondering go all arround the planet and don't find any other kind of biome with different trees, bushees, terrain, Like Corruption!
    I would like if there in Engine would allow Generate More Than 1Biome Special Plantes! :D

This. Reddit is some short of Madness for we find out all Information. The questions and aswers are inside piles and piles of Questions and comments that I needed to check 1 by 1, and they were thousands. Sigh...

My pleasure. :)

Not Any High Hopes for this. When BETA is Announced and it may go to Steam Instant Access, ther may be then an ETA of an Quarter. :)

I was trying to Clean about more "Related StarBound Non-Know Content", because the Topic would be easy huge with all their comments about such things.
    Still Tiy Social Security Number is somewhere in the AMA!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  15. I wanted more than one biome initially too, but once Chucklefish made the comparison with Star Wars, that argument worked for me. ^^

I think it will work well! This way, planets will have a theme, they will be recognised for a specific reason. (For instance, Hoth is that snowy planet, while Kashyyyk is covered in tall trees :p)
    And sub-biomes will ensure we won't get bored. :)

Bacon and Quantum like this.
  16. TOPIC UPDATED ~~ Info about the Core Biome and How is Piracy + Server Owners Handled.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Very good information Bacon, very good indeed. Muah-ha-ha-hahahahaha

Bacon likes this.
  18. Zoltanox

Zoltanox Void-Bound Voyager

Cool Thread Bacon, Nice work. Ohhhh I am hyped now.... Looking forward to the Beta :whoop:

Bacon likes this.
  19. Vayne Atrius

Vayne Atrius Aquatic Astronaut

Sorry if this has been asked but are the worlds for exploration circular like if you keep running right will you eventually end up at a dead end or will you end up on the other side of the world?

Bacon and Quantum like this.
  20. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Good work on the thread Bacon, appreciate the clean presentation.

Agreed completely. Since there will be more than enough opportunities to run into all kinds of planets I don't mind the idea of them being specifically categorized.

Quoted from Reddit.

Bacon and Keeper like this.