13th October: Two Monster Reveals!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Oct 13, 2015.

1. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

2. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sweet! This is much more interesting than the last "update". I think I would have been more interested in the last update if I was a five year old child or a dog... of a five year old dog.

Does anyone know the reason for these special monsters? As opposed to the regular randomly generated ones?

Panchill and Kokiri Minish like this.
  3. Kambei

Kambei Void-Bound Voyager

"Yay!
    Pretty monssssters!
    Gotta kill'em all!"

These two look like they belong to aquatic biomes. Anyway, thanks for your work!

4. Pocario

Pocario Void-Bound Voyager

From the original monster reveal post:
    "They’ll appear in specific biomes and have their own AI and abilities."

I'd wager to say it's to make biomes and monsters in general more meaningful and to have some semblance of... cohesiveness between planets. Like right now, all we have are generic monsters with randomized parts, but all their powers and appearances end up being sort of the same, and sometimes just outright unfitting for the environment that they live in.

It makes more sense that there are certain traits that monsters should evolve based on the biome that they live in (such as looking like a rock if it happens to live in caves, for better camouflage). So having specific monsters for specific areas makes the game feel more realistic and put together. On top of that, we don't know what abilities they'll get, so it might add more challenge to planets.

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Love the colors and design, especially the tadpole.

Though I hope there are a few scary monsters involved also and not everything ends up like they belong in a Saturday morning cartoon on PBS.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

A little underwhelmed with these two. They don't feel as "alive" as the past few. Sure, the rock and snail didn't move much, but they felt more alien. The rainbow bi-narwhal is kind of cute, but doesn't really feel all that interesting. Maybe the animation feels lacking?

Also, that's all for today's info? No info about new features, or addressing changes/fixes/updates on stuff currently being worked on? Bummer

epomukbln and Panchill like this.
  7. Mondai

Mondai Title Not Found

[​IMG]

Zetlin97, Heartstrings and Ainzoal like this.
  8. Don't worry, we have a bunch of creepier monsters in the pipeline too. Our most important aim (outside of making them interesting to play against) is to keep all the art in the game in the same style, but there's so much you can do with monsters whilst still keeping them looking truly "Starbound".

9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

"Click below to see their revealed forms. Spoilers! Do not click below if you do not want to see the monsters."

But... you see them without clicking anyway, @GeorgeV. I think you messed up the blog post. :V

10. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Mondai

Life must be difficult with all of us "mean" spirited people running around rampant and voicing our opinions. Lol.

I have the feeling that these "premade" monsters will eventually feel as common as the generic monsters with randomized parts. Especially, once we have visited a particular planet type/biome several times. Although this is speaking with hindsight, it might have been more beneficial to expand on the randomized monsters and make randomized parts unique to particular biomes (ex: larger eyes/more eyes or glowing parts for dark environments/biomes... fur for cold environments/biomes) .Unless brought from another planet, I don't think monsters would evolve to be exactly the same just because of the environment. There would be similarities but they wouldn't be exactly the same.

RenaldiForumStar and Quilavabom like this.
  11. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

is that an Unifrog?

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Glad to hear it.

Would be sad \ hilarious
    If you find a creepy deserted UCM base - with the lights flickering, the place looks damaged.
    You see a dark ominous shadow in the distance.

Then all of a sudden this guy pops out.
    [​IMG]

Though I wouldn't mind, the colors are fantastic. Id probably make an army of these to follow me around.

13. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well those reveals are pretty boring. It's not like we actually CAN guess what they are and all.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  14. khalismur

khalismur Big Damn Hero

• User was warned for this post: Insulting others is against our rules. Don't behave as a jerk would.
    Are these (boring) reveals supposed to fill the page with "updates" on SB development or just to fill in the gaps trying to hide that the actual coding for the game is moving at a very slow pace? Of course this makes sense, since CF are doing lots of other things with people's money instead of finishing SB. I supported SB development for PC. Not publishing other shit, developing another game or porting SB to other platforms.

You treacherous con artists even started a kickstarter to produce a ridiculous(ly overpriced) toy for a game that was also kickstarted years ago and still is not completed.

CF excels, without any doubt, at fooling!

15. Kokiri Minish

Kokiri Minish Space Penguin Leader

All the monstersss ssso far look sssssuper tiny.I feel like I want to give one a hug not give it a good old ssstabin'

Akogishi likes this.
  16. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

I have to say this has always been my main concern about SB. Your description fits perfectly (I would add Barney, Garfield and Smurfs to the mix). (and if I see one more mob with 6 eyes.....). I really think they've geared the game towards kids with the art style the mobs have. Nothing threatening about any of them including the bosses, but alas, as well done as they are, I think this is the direction we'll have to live with.

enderpony and Akogishi like this.
  17. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

What happened to literal creepers? Weren't they getting their own planet way back in the day?

18. MrEggie

MrEggie Space Hobo

the last is my New favourite :rainbowbarf:

19. ogboot

ogboot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bought this years ago, so far behind release schedule. More of the money from Starbound should've been used to develop the game rather than purchase other projects to sell. What a train wreck.

vechtalos, epomukbln and Akogishi like this.
  20. InfoPunkie

InfoPunkie Void-Bound Voyager

A planet full of people that hang around at clubs attempting to pick up their preferred sex? Interesting idea!