Dev Blog 13th January – My backpack is augmented

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

Environmental Protection Packs

Are a cool Idea!
    Tough i hope they may come in several forms than just the backpack you did show there :)
    maybe a possibility to modify all backpacks with buffs?

-Hunger may be back

Is it too late for my actual used char to get hunger too?
    Thats kinda sad ;D
    Rotting functionallity would be good and bad...on the one side it does improve challenge, on the other, there is no sense to collect a lot of food if it will rot anyway ;D

2. Fortis

Fortis Pangalactic Porcupine

If you're introducing food rot, will you also be introducing methods of food preservation? More than just refrigerators, I mean. Even primitive cultures had means of making food last a long time. Salting, drying, and smoking meat, drying fruit, candying or sugaring fruit, pickling stuff. And that's just the early stuff. Today, we've got access to many more techniques. Canning, vacuum packing, preservatives, irradiation, pasteurization, and a whole lot more. The wikipedia article lists a whole bunch of methods. And in the future, I bet there's more ways to do it.

Personally, I hate spoilage mechanics. I hope it won't bother me while playing on casual. Or that a mod will be made to remove it. But if it is forced in, at least give us the means to preserve food. If we can warp in between stars, and teleport across lightyears, we should be able to keep food from going bad.

3. Gnardak

Gnardak Void-Bound Voyager

There are already jams(preserves) in the game. So perhaps beakseed jam/preserve would have a longer shelf life than raw beakseed. Recipes might be tweaked to allow some to use either raw beakseed or beakseed jam/preserve and some to require only one or the other. Salting meat could also be a possibility to preserve that but, again, some dishes might require fresh meat to prepare to make it beneficial to not just preserve everything in sight.

4. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Can we have this hunger mechanics in normal mode too, please?
    I don't feel like droping stuff on death (except for pixels), but hunger and temperature mechanics are great.

Solzucht likes this.
  5. SpaceRanger

SpaceRanger Void-Bound Voyager

Ok so about the new pack item that let's you go to new planets you say it will be able to craft them now here is my question can you make them without battling the bosses that as of now you have to fight to unlock the suits?
    Because you see the big reason i don't have starbound is do to this fact i hate being made to fight a boss just to get to new planets....has this been fixed?

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Good to know. Im very interested in the spoilerage system. How will the spoilerage of food affect them in chests? Is food non stackable now?

Kexy Knave likes this.
  7. BillMcD

BillMcD Void-Bound Voyager

I'de rather them implement a separate survival mode toggle than gate hunger by difficulty. I think this is what they planned on doing anyways but I'm not sure.

lemon flavoured and Kexy Knave like this.
  8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... Unsure what to make of the system, but nice that it is coming back in some form. My only hope is that standing still will not affect hunger, and you would actually have to be moving around doing something in order for hunger to be a problem.

Although would be nice if well fed would just simply add its' own timer to overall. After all you are well fed and shouldn't be getting hungry if you are well fed. Well makes sense to myself in the very least. This will make me use food more when I have that character setup. Glad they are not putting it on casual, so it is a mere choice in the very least. Like having a variety of characters that come with their own way of play.

makes me wonder what is going to happen to the food bowl for the ship pet, or are ship pets going to be changed eventually... Since if food rots, wouldn't that make the food for the ship pet rot as well? And if so, how would that play into all this. I would have to worry I would eventually have to take in consideration of too much food on in a sense. I don't mind doubling up per say in feeding the pet and myself. Even if at the moment the ship pet will not die of hunger. Still is the premises of it though.

Good to hear at least some form of preservation will be going along side it. So at least there is a storage for food. Right now I am just putting my cool jacket in my cool fridge. Don't ask, I needed the space. >< That and I thought that it would keep the jacket cool. lol

fossils will be another thing like the last bit mentioned of it good to see, and is finally getting to. Another activity with possibility of perks for doing so. Well I call it a perk. Possible findings.

As to the augments... Better than the suit thing. Didn't like that system to begin with. This will give more at least, but not quite the temp thing I enjoyed, but is a start. One thing at a time. Don't know if that will ever come back or return in some form. I'll more likely enjoy regardless being easily entertained. :nuruhappy:

Nice to see plenty of things to look forward to. Always enjoy playing around with quite a few of the mechanics, no matter how tedious they seem to be. Tedium being just another hurdle to be patient with, which I apparently have oodles of. :nurutease:

On a side note, why isn't there a Nuru Proud smiley?

9. Zophie

Zophie Void-Bound Voyager

I hope that they let us eat our pets in Survival mode, like as a last resort when we're starving and have no other food to eat.

10. FadedSketch

FadedSketch Subatomic Cosmonaut

aaaah survival mode! :up: Glad to see that will be a thing. So exite for the next update! you guys are awesome. :DD

11. Akuris

Akuris Void-Bound Voyager

Now about the food slowly rotting in Survival Mode, Will you make it to where refrigerator storage furnitures make the food last longer?

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

They already said yes.

Kexy Knave likes this.
  13. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

Hi CF, I am glad for all this. I have one question and two suggestions I didn't find in the comments.
    1) will backpacks or more room augment for the inventory appear ? And on the head slot (to be able to breath for instance, or headlamp) ? This would increase the versatility for the player.
    2) for hunger : the best way IMHO to deal with buff and starving is to use the energy bar mechanic but reversed and slowed : I. E. a carrot juice will complete let's say 25% of the hunger bar, a risotto 75%, a cake 45% and a pizza 100%. If you eat the pizza you will fulfill your hunger bar, but this bar will be grey as the energy bar when it is empty. So you have a certain amount of time with regeneration and satiety, before the bar slowly decreases again. But what if you eat a risotto and a carrot juice ? It will reach 100% and you cumulate the buffs at the same time, but to fulfill your hunger bar you have to eat two dishes. What now if you eat a risotto ? You will be fulfilled at 80%... but you won't be able to eat a risotto, a pizza or a cake since it would fulfill the bar too much (100+%, or 120% tolerated). But you could eat a coffee (I. E. 20%) or wait a bit to eat a cake (45%) the time for you to get your bar decreased after your risotto is a bit consumed. This would allow the player to choose if he wants to have more room in his/her/its stomach in a case he would eat a coffee in an emergency, or choose a pizza that will allow him to concentrate on other things than hunger (because at 100% your bar is momentarily grey/blocked/fulfilled.
    3) because hylotl are vegetarian (no steak or obvious meaty dishes) each race should start the game with something to fulfill their hunger bar depending on the diet, in the shiplocker.

Thank you :nuruhappy:

14. guyverlord

guyverlord Big Damn Hero

Environmental Protection Packs: As long as I can still use a Halogen pack in some way, I'm OK with this.

Survival Mode:
    Hunger Bar: Kinda glad to see this coming back.
    Food rotting over time: Ugh... This turns food into a micro managing game. Basic meat and vegetables begin to rot the moment I harvest them? Crafting a food item starts a new timer for the crafted item? No way to make shelf stable food to carry with me? Where's my jerky, dried fruit, and canned goods?
    I'll take the hunger bar, but if food is going to rot, I'm gonna pass on survival mode.

Tsukistar and Fortis like this.
  15. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ P R A I S E I T ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Im glad for the backpacks getting some use now. Is there any word on introducing other environmental hazards specific to radioactive/cold/etc. planets below ground?(like radioactive ore that overcomes the protection, or fumes from hot planets)

17. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of food, I like the idea of starvation, but seriously ... can we get away from characters who burn through calories like some kind of jet engine? Starvation doesn't work like that. You don't get so hungry you die after a day, in fact with moderate energy usage you can easily go a couple days, especially if you happen to live in a country where it's easy to pack a few extra pounds to begin with, with pretty mild effects. I can count on one hand the number of games I've seen where hunger is a drawn out process with effects such as fatigue before the almighty 'health drain'. Additionally, the reason the player can stockpile food is because they have a tesseract for an inventory (but honestly, the rotting seems like a decent way to deal with that).

Besides, the player will feel less of a -need- to stockpile food if they don't need to stuff their mouths with bon bons and bolt corn every fifteen seconds to stave off the effects of hunger. The bar should be able to deplete several times with effects of increasing severity or something like that.

Silverforte likes this.
  18. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think rotting food or the different survival packs are good implementations of survival mechanics and based on how often game systems get remade I doubt it's staying like that long. I mean how is food supposed to be rotting while it's stored up your ass anyway? Nothing else up there is affected by the elements or the passage of time. The backpacks would be just a pain and fill up even more of your precious and limited inventory space. There should be an ultra secret, endgame upgrade that makes you basically immune to temperature, radiation, oxygen-less environments, etc. You could call it the "Space Suit" and model it off those things we've been using for over 50 years. :nurutease:

Tsukistar likes this.
  19. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I'm glad to see Starbound being supported long after its alpha launch. There are so many games on Steam that launch in alpha and then never reach 1.0 status. Now if you guys can show some love to server management and terrain protection.

Seriously. Minecraft and Tree of Life are two of the worst offenders I can think of off the top of my head. Minecraft, I counted, on my old PVP server you could sprint/jump for 30 seconds before needing to eat again. That is annoying and severely detracts from actually playing the game. Ya know, building and fighting? Having to stop and eat constantly or carry 3 stacks (64 x 3) of cooked meat all the time is irritating.

Play for 30 seconds to a few minutes, stop and eat for 10 seconds. Repeat infinite times. I like hunger but it needs someone reasonable to set its rates.

20. PyRO22

PyRO22 Aquatic Astronaut

Hunger drops way too fast while at the same time not regenerating when you do eat. I've tried with each race, both genders. Just in case this was a small issue. It is more than small. Please fix this issue.