Dev Blog 13th January – My backpack is augmented

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

I assume you're talking about my previous post. I don't really see what's so funny about it. I simply stated that I liked the old UI more, you know, the little window that popped up near the bottom of the screen when you pressed alt? The implementation in nightly is just a tiny yellow bar under the health and energy with no indicator of what it is. Like I said though, it's a very early WIP so it's more than likely to change.

I never said that the old system was better than the new system in terms of mechanics. I can't do that because the new system isn't even finished yet (far from it) so that wouldn't even make sense to compare the two right now. Not sure where you got that bit from. The old system was terrible anyways and I'm glad it's gone, but the UI was still nice. Same goes for the old temperature system's thermometer.

I agree with this. Fresh water should be a valuable resource to the player if they're playing survival mode. Oceans would need to have non-consumable salt water or else thirst would be too easy to manage. Hydrating dishes like soup could be incredibly valuable to the player if water scarcity is an issue. I think survival players would enjoy having to keep both their hunger and thirst topped off in order to keep their character at peak performance.

A canteen with multiple uses could be a very useful item for maintaining thirst, assuming bottled water and other drinks couldn't stack. A rain catcher would be neat too.

That already sounds like a step up from the old system. A basic cooler could work as an early-game fridge.

Also, just an idea. If it isn't too much trouble, you guys should make hunger deplete at different rates depending on what the player is doing. For example, if the player is running, jumping and swinging their weapons around, it will deplete faster and if they are sleeping or just standing still, it will deplete noticeably slower. I feel like this would help the hunger system feel a little bit more dynamic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. InevitableChoice

InevitableChoice Scruffy Nerf-Herder

>In order to keep you on your toes, and hinder those who’d stock an infinite supply of food in their inventories, food will slowly rot and become inedible over time.

If you're going to do that, we need a way to preserve food. With that food nerf, farms are basically useless.

3. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Happy with you guys back online. To some maybe here are just some unimportant news. But i always remember and come back here. I like the energy here, i just pass by, feel a little, and leave a little of mine. Happy with the survival system and wondering about Stardew Valley too.
    Hugs

n1t3n likes this.
  4. Ceois

Ceois Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That was one of the things that got me hooked on the game. I was playing with a friend and we had just started to play Starbound so we didn't really know that much about the game. I remember we traveled to a cold planet and we saw that our health bar started to go down. Both of us started out of instinct to take out torches and try to make warm. Then we went back and crafted the outfit for cold weather.

We were both blown away by this simple yet amazing feature.

The hunger is back and now with degradation! I love it but it should be an option you can tick on/off so you can also have it in casual mode not only in survival.

Jarod likes this.
  5. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

Question on the hunger system: Will there be a separate "Hydration" meter for liquid-based consumables (water, coffee, soda, and other such beverages) or will all foods - regardless of being solid or liquid - share the one meter?

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

One of the backpack augments is "Light", which comes in three different levels of illumination that correspond to the three different lighting backpacks.

So you can choose to have extra light, or you can choose extra swimming mobility or extra speed or elemental resistance or a number of different bonuses. Plus, the Pet system in play now features special-effect Collars you can put on any pet, and one of them is, yes, a Light Collar that gives them a glow (assuming they don't already). So you have illumination options.

And as for forgetting... given none of the environmental hazards will kill you instantly, you can beam back up to the ship as soon as you notice, for example, that you're on fire.

Geee Eyeeee Joooooooeee

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Go at least 30, and that's only to start the negative buffs, not the health drop.

Humans can go from three weeks to over two months without food before it kills them (depending on what they got "stored", as it were, among other things). Water, not so much, but even that under "normal" temperature and such will take upward a week to kill you. 15 minutes is barely a day or two in game-time.

I get that game-time runs on an accelerated scale, but going from stuffed full to keeling over from no food in two-ish game days is a bit ridiculous.

lemon flavoured likes this.
  8. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Would actually like to see temperature returned. Building a nice cottage with heaters to live in during a snowstorm isn't as fun to do when you either freeze to death either way even if you're sticking your head into the oven, or if you don't turn into an ice cube when you open the front door because your "screw the environment" suit tech is keeping you safe.

Then again, like others said, it would be nice if the suit techs were kept as an end-game option.
    Would be nice if you could build without freezing or starving to death.

9. McWhite

McWhite Void-Bound Voyager

Hey ya, just wanted to drop an article to hunger or survival mechanics in general because I think how it is suggested right now is heading to the wrong direction:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-survival-games-get-hunger-and-thirst-wrong-and-how-to-fix-it/

Having hunger as a bar just like mana and life isn't the way to go I think, at the very least it should only be shown once it reaches a semi-critical point.

EDIT: Apparently a lot of people had similar ideas in this thread :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Jonesy likes this.
  10. Excuritas

Excuritas Void-Bound Voyager

This, please Chucklefish, read and implement it how he said it, don't just give us a boring hunger bar :/

Kregoth likes this.
  11. Sk1nk

Sk1nk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Instead of "Don't Starve" I would love if it goes the way "Project Zomboid" did it.
    If you satisfy a Need you get a Buff, depleting over time but giving you a Bonus. After the Buff runs out, there are Stages of Debuffs, indicating you need to fulfill that Need again and draining corresponding Skills from you (eg. Hunger = able to carry less, thirst = loosing the ability to sprint, slower walking later on, health loss on the very last state of it).

They are a survival game so getting your crops up and running and building a cycle that will constantly provide food for you is the main task of the game but since there are food merchants in Starbound you can always go out to eat.

I would love some kind of Buff/Debuff system over a third bar. Get an advantage for eating and drinking before heading into a mining session, for planning ahead and taking some food with you. But if the Buff ran out, you shouldn't instantly feel the need to get new food. Let some time pass and then slowly debuff the player.

Don't sync it to day/night cycles ... we are in space, there shouldn't be a cycle since every planet has a different size and rotation speed the cycle shouldn't be the same on every planet. Maybe give the Races some preferences on food (fruit work better on Apex while Meat Helps the Floran etc.) and give us AT LEAST an hour to run from "filled" to "starving to death" 20-30 min is way to less. Maybe 20 min for the Buff to run out 10 min "fine" (no bonus/malus) and then a debuff every 10 min.
    Thirst could be faster.
    Temperature should be purely connected to the environment but also have a bonus. Crops should grow better in a well tempered glass house than outside on the plain field.
    Moisture is already in the game but should primary accelerate the temperature drop rate.

Get this system up and running and you are the king of the "survival" genre, since you already got so much else and then survival "ON TOP" instead of the main source of motivation.

Oh, and give the server admin/player the opportunity to turn food vendors of. On Multiplayer Servers it would be fun to get a restaurant for everybody with my own farm attached so I don't want my buddies to go to the InstaMarket :D

Squeegeeie and Jonesy like this.
  12. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm kinda glad you can't show story related stuff yet, don't wanna see to many spoilers :)

13. wolfyluna

wolfyluna Void-Bound Voyager

Am looking forward to the survival mode. It felt so pointless to grow food after hunger was removed from the game. (other then perhaps selling them for pixels) This would give a renewed reason to grow foods. :)

willpill35 likes this.
  14. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Now you seem to be working at a decent rate, and as if you know what you're doing. I think you improved a lot as developers over the years, Chucklefish. Keep it up.

Kexy Knave likes this.
  15. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Since food will rot with the new hunger feature then to have a option to cook food on the fly without a kitchen you should make a cook pot item that we can throw down and cook some basic food. Nothing crazy you would need to have a full kitchen to make anything complicated but maby be able to make grilled corn or alien meat stew. Also i think some foods should have a longer shelf life but have fewer benifits. Like alien jerky doesnt go bad but also has no buffs besides a minor amount of healing like a less powerful bandage but it restores hunger or no healing and just restores hunger. Then you have something like a alien steak dinner that makes your character heal faster and gives you a energy regen bonus for a wile but goes bad after a hour or so.

16. megakruemel

megakruemel Subatomic Cosmonaut

The problem i see here is, that light-backpacks can't be used on hazard-planets.

It will make me really uncomfortable for no apparent reason.

17. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm with everyone that wants more from a hunger system than a death clock. I actually really hope against the death clock. If starving causes health depletion, I hope it stops at 1. I'd like starving to make it harder to survive, not directly kill you in the end.

18. Lagoz

Lagoz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cool :D Looks really interesting. Keep up the good work <3

19. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

With the augment system you can slot a light augment into any of the Environmental Protection Packs.

Godbot, Lintton and Solzucht like this.
  20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What is the practical difference between Nanoskins and Backpacks? The former could have just as easily been made craftable or able to be obtained in other ways (Such as buying them, finding them...), and they fit more with the sci-fi theme.