Dev Blog 13th January – My backpack is augmented

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 13, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Right now augments can be put over old ones. You lose the old one in the process though. That may change.

Danwoo21 likes this.
  2. roman.stanash

roman.stanash Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am on the HYPETRAIN NOW!!!!!:nuruhype::nuruhype:

3. Danwoo21

Danwoo21 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, thanks for the reply. I hope they make them swap-able, it would be less labor intensive.

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Food still gives various buffs that are dependent upon the type of food that you eat.

5. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hunger meter seems fine, just hope its a bit more spreadout, i don't like the idea of my character starving from a day of not eating, and seeing that days come and go rather quickly, that would get annoying if i'm starving after 10-15 mins of play. If anything else, why not just give the player a debuff for not eating or sleeping a set amount of times that reduces their health, energy, energy recharge, and bonuses from buffs. THEN add a meter after the hunger that eats away at health. least that way its manageable to notice a lack in your performance rather than being set of fire.

Also, i noticed in nightly the jump height was reduced. Although i see what they were going for, especially to have us use rope, augements, and stims. the jump height kind of messes up certain dungeons for normal jumps on platforms (an example is the mining site on lush planets, the platforms between floors, unless their are small platforms inbetween, you can't jump back up them unless you have blocks or platforms to climb up on.

Augements, they are cool, but i wanted to know if we can make them plug n plays and interchangeable given the price of buying them. if they can only used once on a EPP (and hopefully on armor which feels like it make better sense than a backpack) then perhaps reduce the price of them into the lower thousands. Perhaps being allowed to add augments to armor pieces seperately for a total of 3, plus one you could add to a pack or a pack that comes with one automatically, 4, and if having a full set of armor gives you a bonus augment, 5.

if for more balance, probably try something that i saw in megaman legends and have augment slots to add them into, but each augement has a point percentage, and your armor can only hold a number of points (Ex. full violium armor has 10 points (white aug = 2pt, green aug = 3pt, blue aug = 4pt, purple aug = 5pt) ) and the higher tier augments may have more than one bonus (jump height and speed, damage and armor, gravity and lighting, etc) or a unique feature (monsters don't agro when they see you, a repulser wave that knocks enemies away from you, etc).

And probably to compliment augments, if they are aren't implimented as part of the armor, how about armor mods with passive functions like health regen, damage resistance or nightvision at night, etc

yeaaaaaaaaa i know.............thats a bunch of junk, but what im seeing further down the line players near end game are gonna be going up against harder obstacles and enemies that require alot more leverage to over come, such as enemies that go above and beyond normal approaches ( like enemies who are immune to damage at impervium armor levels)

n1t3n, Ishrindor and General Nuclear like this.
  6. Sazanaara Eleven

Sazanaara Eleven Poptop Tamer

Not sure if I like saying goodbye to the bio-implants, but I'm curious to see how the augmentations will affect gameplay! Totally hyped for the Scorched City biome, though, because new biome means new materials!

I hope we'll be able to capture flying pets besides grounded once, since I really want one of those cute wisp enemies as a pet.

7. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Cant give a percentage without hard numbers, nuclear

8. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

This will be good to see the re-add of the hunger feature.
    Cause to me having been playing games like 7 days to die where you must eat every now and then to keep your
    stamina[or in this case health] up will a very good challenge to those who wish to play with this new change.
    Now I'm wondering what will happen to our crops if say we don't harvest them after X amount of time?
    Will they start to go bad?
    Also I would love to see another farm change, manure or fertilizer to be added[also it'll give the poop you can find in the sewer micro dungeons a use]
    to have the fields more fertile so the crops will grow at a faster rate.
    I know it'll be hard to find a sewer dungeon on the starting planet but add to some of the aliens to, well, poop every now and then so you can pick it up to use
    as fertilizer for the garden.

Also when will we be able to capture a Poptop to have as a singing pet?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  9. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Now, i liked nanoskins.........but maybe make it the ULTIMATE UPGRADE or ENDGAME UPGRADE for players, so they no longer have to worry about equipping the right pack (and i will admit, i kind of dislike the need of packs, because now they do take up inventory space when i'm venturing between planets.........that and now i need to ask (protection....or light...hmmmmm)....then again we might get HIGH TECH TORCHLIGHTS O.O ....but i regress, i don't want them to retire the nanoskin or implant ideas, i'd say rework them somewhere, give the player that customization feel you know?

n1t3n and Hatsya Souji like this.
  10. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

well it was never said that it was impossible to capture a poptop but it was said if you did then you where gonna have a really bad time and that it was a really bad idea

11. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

heh....im imagining players carrying ice and snow on them, and going to a hot planet and finding water in the inventory in its place lol. Or even reverse on take water into cold planets that it turns to ice in the inventory. Maybe having the Icebox furniture turn food and beverages frozen or ice cold, and turn water to ice ._____.

12. TriniBound Specter

TriniBound Specter Void-Bound Voyager

I did notice the backpack in the nightly as the changes pet category takes up the slot (also as there a no quests to guide you), the only issue is that the metal that you need to gather to build the first backpack and upgrade tables resembles coal ore. I missed it until I realized that you need to go hunting in the forest Biomes. In addition I also noticed that the merchant that sells the augments to go into the backpacks, I look forward to it, as you upgrade the crafting tables more backpacks become available.

I agree with http://community.playstarbound.com/members/kregoth.1645/. The hunger thing should have a more substantial role in the game, not just for health and starvation (which rite now drains quickly). As there are so many meals you can craft and learn; why not have them give you certain health buffs and stats?

Now I know there are the syringes (stim packs) in the game that do that but I don't really use them; unless something changes that makes me change my mind.

Also food degradation - that does stir things up a bit. Member http://community.playstarbound.com/members/space_explorer.475/ made a good point. Would fridges help in keeping food fresher and for longer? Would a mini fridge be a craft able item? Also member http://community.playstarbound.com/members/cgeta.68988/makes me wonder about a food category in our packs that has our player eat automatically upon the meter dropping down to zero? Maybe having the craft able mini fridge be the category. Start off with a busted fridge (like you ship) and upgrade as you gather materials.

I wait to see what changes get made, I like the fact that so far i have to think about what i gather and what i need to progress, it looks like all the materials we gather while questing should now serve a proper purpose; instead of just filling up inventory space.

Ores that you must gather and can't purchase means we must explore.

Materials specific to certain biomes, means we must visit the places at least once.

In order to upgrade you must gather or else you won't access what you learned.

Haven't tried pets as yet so when th update comes i will check it out.

The Fossil station is interesting; though its just a distraction...unless it profitable (which was hinted) or gets you rare items

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I'm not looking forward to the hunger mechanic returning but I am looking forward to people stopping asking for it's return. Maybe this time around, it won't be so easy to almost completely circumvent it by farming... though, crops still take a couple minutes to grow, so I doubt it.

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Wanna bet they'll clamor for the old system to return?

15. 5slimez4me2

5slimez4me2 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm really glad that the hunger is coming back into play! also, could you guys think about adding temperature back in. I know that makes no since but. I mean so if you have a life time supply of torches you can go to cold planets right off the ship! and so you can freeze at night and burn at day on unstable planets.

EssstrategaxArg and n1t3n like this.
  16. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

I liked the UI for the old hunger system more, but since this is still a WIP, I won't judge just yet. The messages were a bit cheesy, but they got the point across.

[​IMG]

17. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

Super excited to see how the changes turn out! I always thought the temperature aspect was really awesome.

EssstrategaxArg likes this.
  18. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope there's work going into revamping the progression system as well. It seems really screwed up in its current state.

19. Enderdonut

Enderdonut Orbital Explorer

Those augmentations look cool! It looks like there are more in the inventory that have different effects. I wonder, if there are so many, will you be able to upgrade your pack to have more slots for augmentations?

20. Emerald_Pick

Emerald_Pick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hunger was cool, but will the temperature mechanic come back? I thought it was a creative idea.

EssstrategaxArg likes this.