Dev Blog 13th April - Space Invader

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 5future

5future Scruffy Nerf-Herder

lets hope there is cheatcode to bypass that fuel/energy thing or better, an upgrade for the mech that cost a lot of pixels but give you a nuclear generator of some short which allows the mech to fly move or do everything without filling it with fuel or energy or whatever it uses... or at least, make it regenerate over time when on ground and walking.

2. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Things like that can be done with modding the assets.

3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I hope there are performance improvements coming. :)

Lodish likes this.
  4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

@Tiy already stated it on one of his twitter posts so yes they will come. :)

~ Iris ~

Lodish likes this.
  5. bloodsplatBOOM

bloodsplatBOOM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The XS and ZZ mechs are awesome and all, but customizable mechs? Oooohooohoo, now THIS is exciting.

6. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

They state this all the time and the game still runs like ass.

VoidGuy likes this.
  7. VoidGuy

VoidGuy Subatomic Cosmonaut

ⓞⓜⓕⓖ ⓜⓨ ⓓⓤⓓⓔ
    Random thoughts
    By Voidguy
    MoaR arcades!
    MoaR quests. Pls.
    (Also, hoping some mech-required quests are thrown into the mix, I'd PAY for a game with a feature like that.) (O gawd, also, not implying I pirated SB in any way, I got it as a gift. A gift with over 1000 hours of gameplay recorded on it now.)

There are the hotfixes, which fix some major and minor things. Performance issues though, I'm not all too sure. SB always ran at about 10 fps for me. (Prediction: actual may be worse)

Tfw you go on the Dev blog and see a new post: "Omfg a new post I can't wait to ch- OH. Its just a changelog.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Sir Chungus I

Sir Chungus I Orbital Explorer

The Cultivator basically says don't die like the many others before you. So I think you should be able to encounter HIGH LEVEL, RARE Abandoned racial Protectorate vessels that have been destroyed, looted, abandoned, or stolen by raiders and cultists. They would use beat up or modified player ship models. I think they would probably have really good loot and REALLY difficult enemies. I mean if you play multiplayer and or talk to npcs, you know A LOT of people escaped earth and in game play, as a protector, YOU DIE A LOT. There has to be that Protector who was super geared up and just got pumped full of lead by an apex soldier, his ship would be floating through space for YOU to find. Maybe he had a boss weapon or crew members.

I think this would be a good idea to remind players of lore, as they are probably end-game and spelunking for fun. It would also be a fun challenge for players who think Starbound is too easy at end game.

Yeah I think you should be able to land on gas giants with mechs, and if you don't have one you get squashed by pressure and the air pressure won't even let you walk.

Yes I think they need to add secondary attacks back to random monsters(not on tier 1 planets) they are TOO easy now. The pre gen monsters are overused. Starbound would be SOmuch better if it were more ALIEN, as in mix and matched biomes and more strange creatures

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Since Gas Giants are, well, Gas Giants, they could rather involve a different kind of vehicle to explore. Think of some sort of specialized aircraft that can fly where the unaerodynamic shape of most Mechs would render them practically incapable of flight. That way, vehicles would be more varied in the sense that there would be 2 main vehicle types with a clearly different behavior.

10. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

You can't really land on a gas giant. It's made of gas. You would literally fall through it.

Kawa likes this.
  11. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

They could be like Space and Asteroids, but with gravity.

Trollolol07 likes this.
  12. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

There is no land to LAND on. Wtf is with people and the self contradicting desire to interact with gas planets.

Again you are missing the point. There is no LAND to land on. There is only gas. The only resource of a gas planet is the very gas that comprises it. That is it. People dumbfounding obsession with gas planets never ceases to puzzle me. In Sci Fi the activities surrounding a gas planet usually involve a man made structure or facility dedicated to harvesting said gas.

Kawa and DragonsForce like this.
  13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What about adding a new vehicle to explore them that doesn't have to land anywhere?

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Look, the main reason why going to a gas planet is a bad idea is the fact that it'd be like standing in a nuclear reactor. Jupiter, for example, could give you a lethal dose of radiation if you got into too near an ORBIT. Not even if you're in its outer layers. In orbit. Even with the radiation EPP, I doubt it'd be a good idea.

Kawa and Ainzoal like this.
  15. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

AGAIN I say. WHY? When all that you are going to find in there is gas and Radiation?

Kawa and DragonsForce like this.
  16. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

maybe special gas that can be used for fuel?
    or maybe it can be a special Upgrade for the New Space stations. if you Place them near a gas planet, you can add a room to collect gas and use for ship fuel?

17. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

None of those things require you to go down to the planet. Just build a dungeon in orbit that harvests the gas. THough again the fuel for the ship universally is Erchius so introducing another means of fuel just to satisfy a minority's desire to do something, makes no sense.

Kawa likes this.
  18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Floating structures that could have various purposes, such as gas extraction facilities suspended by vacuum balloons, Precursor structures that were NOT meant to be found, but were because Gas Giants were still able to be explored, or even colonized.
    A better question is, why SHOULDN'T they be able to be explored?

19. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Precursor structures were found because Gas Giants were able to be explored? I think You're mistaking games at this point.

Why? Because it's unnecessary busy work for something only a handful of people want or expect. Your average person would never expect anything from a gas giant that doesn't have a facility in orbit around it. And at that point you're just going into another dungeon not really exploring the Gas Giant since there's nothing to explore inside a gas giant.

20. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

what if stations or ships crashed or vent into the gas giant? that could be Dungeons that you could explore

STCW262 likes this.