Dev Blog 11th March - Pet Swap

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Happy Friday!

In your travels, you may encounter NPCs who are looking for a particular type of pet. They’ll even trade you the pet they’ve already got! The ethics of this are somewhat questionable.

[​IMG]

We’re off to GDC tomorrow, so expect sparse blog updates from us over the next week. Follow@ChucklefishLTD on Twitter if you wanna see what we’re up to! :)

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Yay! Slave trade! Maybe there could be missions based around working for an animals rights group like ARM(Alien Rights Militia) or PETA(People for Ethical Treatments of Aliens)

3. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

will some of them evolve when traded

Werka1717, Chris1488, cB557 and 24 others like this.
  4. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Pokemon in Space!!!!! :rofl:

5. CBookie

CBookie Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta catch 'em all! (in space!)

JKP9 likes this.
  6. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is trading required to own 'em all?

Starbound Moon and Starbound Sun edition confirmed.

7. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

I'm gonna earthquake the fuck outta the new bosses.

6EV Snaunt Shinie

Come at me bro.

8. Ferretic

Ferretic Aquatic Astronaut

-pokemon trade music-

Astrih Konnash and JKP9 like this.
  9. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Er, why do you insist so much on "pets", "critters", "monsters", when you could have put more effort towards more important and creative content ? Mind you, I don't say it's bad concept, it's actually nice distraction, distraction that is all to it. Only people who care about collecting all stuff, will be in envy of this content, while others (me included ) will turn to it, when we ran out of stuff to do, or when we want to catch breather from gearing up, gathering resources and etc.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's fun.. and it was a Kickstarter goal.

JKP9, lostdon and jonathonspy like this.
  11. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

You can have my Fennix over my dead, body. :p

ca7to, Auraknight, JKP9 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

And you misread what I wrote. Yes it's fun but is it worth putting so much focus into it ?

Edit:That was pretty much what I meant.

13. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My friend, the fact that they put a post about a pet features doesn't mean that it's the only thing they are working on. I know you are very well aware of this, so why the useless rant? And pets are actually more than collectibles. They are a combat addition, and with the new collars such as light collars, they also are a utility feature.

Corraidhín, Lintton, Ainzoal and 4 others like this.
  14. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

What will critters do? Will they have drops and attacks o needs?
    Pokemon in Space would add A LOT of content in no time, and the modding potential is awesome.
    Castle wars critter version.

Astrih Konnash and Sylxeria like this.
  15. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

In my opinion, yeah. One of my biggest issues was how little the pets really mattered, you just kind of got them in your ship for no reason. I like that they are fleshing it out.

16. Saklad5

Saklad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You just stole my line. I was literally about to say that, nearly word-for-word.

Astrih Konnash likes this.
  17. Saklad5

Saklad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to hoard pets. Is that more ethical or less ethical than swapping them at leisure? My character will certainly have the capacity to support all of them.

Speaking of that, could we get some Applied Energistics-style automation in Starbound ships? I’ll want to keep all the bowls as full as possible, even if I leave my personal server running for weeks without logging in. (Yes, I know there isn’t any actual downside to letting pets starve. There also isn’t any downside to using commands to cheat items in. Self-imposed goals and restrictions make it fun.)

endertrot likes this.
  18. Quizok

Quizok Subatomic Cosmonaut

So how close is 1.0? this summer maybe?

19. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

very cool nice work devs i hope there will be feed back on how they thrive with there new pet/ lab rat/ slave/ guard etc
    i also hope there is a quset where some fool wants a poptop pet and afther you have given it to him and then comes back you hear about all the chaos it has made for him also his got one arm less this time you meet him

also there should be some sort of Space Zoo:koala: in starbound
    would have been very cool also qusets there too but not only for qusets

20. Superfast103

Superfast103 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Taking animals, shoving them in tiny balls, and now trading them. The next thing you know we'll be forcing them to mate with other animals against their will for their entire lives!

Poor Ditto...

Jareix Cryvix, JKP9, TinchoX and 3 others like this.