Dev Blog 10th March - Is this the rail life?

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TinchoX

TinchoX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The third picture made my day.

2. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

Thank you, Metadeeept

3. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

On Nightly only:

Use /admin. Then spawn (/spawnitem) these items:

railhook
    compositerail
    rustyrail
    compositerailplatform
    rustyrailplatform

4. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

Can you put chests on these platforms? Maybe make something that looks similar to the Mine Hopper you can also use to go mining. And then if you end up getting a full inventory (because i do), you can transport the stuff up to the surface. and keep mining. Later, the Hopper will return down to you after unloading all the items into a chest.

5. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No, you can't.

6. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

But mods might be able to make versions of the platform that are containers.

leinglo likes this.
  7. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, now that's a cool idea. I can see it now, tiny rail tunnels built into the walls of a base as a high tech dumbwaiter system with which you could send or call a personal storage container to and from any room...someone needs to get to work on that, that would be awesome!

8. Kitts2307

Kitts2307 Void-Bound Voyager

It'd be nice if rails were in a different layer of the game, between walls and floors, so that we could put them places like underground, to make retractable defenses, or perhaps a system where you can use it like an automatic elevator, moving through platforms and setting you down on them.

Also, I feel it'd be in everyone's best interest if we could deploy these rails with a standalone tool, like a hybridisation of the paint tool and the wire tool:
    here's how it, in my imagination, works- left click to place or remove rails, right click to change style (with an option to make them invisible when not using the tool). having these opposing styles could enable us to have multiple layers of tracks, and maybe even intersecting ones, to make considerably more complex things!

9. starmount23

starmount23 Intergalactic Tourist

ok.... but do you think nightly is unstable?
    what i meaan is that maybe the version nightly may be in the unstable version. brb ill see.

10. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

hehehe, your question blow my mind. What's the rail of life. Maybe there is not a natural rail, but the one we construct to ourselves and for others. So we explore beyond the frontiers of our parents and prepare a rail to the next generations, That's science.

DragonsForce likes this.
  11. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

so if i have a firearm and I'm riding one of these does that make it an on rail shooter?

12. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

The amount of content this game is stacking up is mind boggling.

13. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

And these new missions from what I've seen are exciting. I can't wait for 1.0 (No need to rush it though Chucklefish. I'm sure we can wait long enough for a good, fully functional, well balanced and reasonably stable game than have it sooner as a buggy mess).

14. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

An adventure of a life time! One blog, one update, one rail to rule them all!

15. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

do we get a rail gun? :nuruwink:

lemon flavoured, Corraidhín and Kawa like this.
  16. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

I've thought of megaman x on old nintendo, oh well its close enough as I know of.

17. TheCreeperCyborg

TheCreeperCyborg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OH MAN THE SKY HOOK HAS TOTALLY GOT NUTHIN TO DO W/ the one for bioshock, nah but seriosly, first the sky rails, and now they sky rail hook thingy, point aside its still really fuqqing awesome good job guys :3 (btw u should totally make the skyhook a weapon aswell :chucklefish:)

you should also add a motor-powered plat form, maybey you could put objects on it and have them move w/ it (mobile turrets) :3 aaalso you should do the same w/ elevators
    :ssssssssss:

18. midkiff87

midkiff87 Void-Bound Voyager

i wonder how difficult it would be to make the platform more like a floor than a platform that way you could build on it and we would get the turret trams, cargo elevators, adjustable sized platforms, and even a piston as floors interact with liquid entities and at that rate you could use a finite amount of liquid as a timer using liquid sensors or any other number of possibilities

19. midkiff87

midkiff87 Void-Bound Voyager

tried using these commands and got perfectly generic items?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"On Nightly only." So not Stable or Unstable.

midkiff87 likes this.