Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ryan Draconis

Ryan Draconis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

strange and awkward giggling intensifies.

This.. this yes.. Just yes, I can already see where this is going to go and all I can say is yes.

2. M1rage

M1rage Space Hobo

When I hear Starbound update is coming.

Attached Files:

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

More like "it's still alive", buddy.

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

To me it was like the guy that keeps getting thrown out of the office window was listened to for once.

5. MarshCreature

MarshCreature Void-Bound Voyager

are those other ships i see ? will space battles be a thing ? oh god i hope so.

6. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are we talking about PvP space battles or battles against AI controlled ships? Personally, I think both are great ideas. However, and I welcome discussion on this topic, if a PvP or battle system is implemented, perhaps it should be restricted to survival mode, or perhaps a way to turn it off, since some people will want to focus on exploring, not ship to ship battling and having to defend their ship from attack.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Cally94 likes this.
  7. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Duuuuude. DUUUUUUUUUUUDE.

If I wore panties, and had the appropriate anatomy, they would be so moist right now.

So moist.

EDIT:

That said? If I might make a suggestion, a selectable option to turn autopilot on and off in SAIL would be nice just 'cause it's also cool to see that hyperspace background.

SECOND EDIT:

Also? Seriously for a moment? With you guys basically giving away DLC for free every few months, you're seriously spoiling me with regards to other development studios. You guys need to announce a new paid project, so I have a way to give you more money. Because I'm starting to feel like I owe you some.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. Playah

Playah Phantasmal Quasar

I'm digging it. I'm digging it so hard, I've surfaced in the Indian Ocean.

9. Elzebub

Elzebub Void-Bound Voyager

Ooooooooooooooooooh *-* so cooooool

PS: i would like to share opinions with grubaggedon. I want to give you more money, so you can make more of this!

10. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Based on past experience? When they add new content to the game (new biomes, etc), you wind up having two options - Either wipe your universe and start a new home base, or travel a long, long way away from your home base to access the new content.

11. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

But considering how you can set bookmarkers and flags so you can teleport from anywhere to a spot, and the utter vastness of the in game universe, I doubt you'll have any problems finding new things.
    Besides, you'll likely get to play with the new system anyway, so that's good.

12. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Dreadwing has remade his ship! Sending his mini ufos and lackeys to hunt you down!

Cally94 likes this.
  13. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

How will fuel work out? This is a drastic change from the point and click travel, but probably for the better.

DraikNova likes this.
  14. Gurfern

Gurfern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm...Encountering other players and perhaps a sort of faction/raiding kind of thing? Awesome...

But in SPACE???

YEHZ

15. Arrevax

Arrevax Void-Bound Voyager

Will this update also include the return of high tier planets other than hot ones (decayed, magma, volcanic)?

16. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

It's an improvement, but I'm staying reserved.

xaliber likes this.
  17. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

The question, though, is what exactly would happen if your ship got "destroyed." I mean, having the game completely wipe your ship data, including your crew, your upgrades, and everything on board, would be a bit too harsh, especially for a game as easy to hack and cheat in as Starbound.

But then what would the punishment be? It couldn't just respawn in the same system or even a nearby system, since that would cause battles to go on until one side or the other just gets bored and gives up. Also, what would happen if your ship was attacked while you weren't onboard? On one hand, Starbound doesn't seem like the kind of game that'd screw you over by letting your ship get blown up while you're stuck deep underground, but on another hand making ships invulnerable while there's nobody on board would render any attempts to defend a system pointless and would effectively make it impossible for either team to really "hold" any territory since there'd always be invulnerable enemy ships just floating around over planets and waiting out the other team.

Honestly, though, it'd be pretty much impossible to hold territory reliably anyway. The sort of dynamic warfare and territory management that we're talking about here just doesn't work in games where a server that has at least 20 people online at all times is considered pretty large and active. You basically need MMO-scale servers to pull something like this off, or else there's simply too much "down time" during which an entire faction is offline and inactive and their territory is easy pickings. It's similar to the issue with Minecraft PvP; you can't keep any sort of significant area guarded and maintained consistently, so the best option is to just gather a few friends, go somewhere ridiculously remote, and build a tiny underground base that you spend 90% of your time meandering around in.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  18. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe if your ship was destroyed your ship would end up stuck on the outpost, you'd have to pay for repairs maybe or work it off?

19. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

The problem there is that you'd need your ship to travel to other planets to find money to pay for your ship, but if you could use your ship you wouldn't need to pay for your ship, but you do have to pay for your ship, so you need to find money, but you can't, because you're stuck at the outpost, because you can't use your ship until you pay for it with the money that you can't make until your ship is paid for.

A bit of a catch 22.

20. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

Here is my scenario for that:
    - Your ship is destroyed and is left at outpost
    - You get given a choice between paying for repairs or working off your debt
    If you pay for you debt you can:
    - Use prior resources you had to pay it off
    - (Seen as there are other ships in this update) Hitchhike on other ships making money from the planets they visit
    If you choose to work off your debt:
    - The 'repairer' teleports you out to do tasks for him and he'll repair your ship
    - For example you might need to be a crew member on some other ship for a time or do other tasks to get your ship repaired

Or who knows maybe you'll be able to buy and sell ships in this update. You clear out your broken one, sell it and pay for a slightly worse but working one or get some extra money and buy one equally as good. This update in the works could lead to so many different things really. I think my solution works to break the loop hole though.