Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. In our previous posts we've mentioned that 'space' is the overarching theme of this patch, and showed a little preview of some exciting new space vehicles. We have some even bigger (downright galactic) changes planned, including fleshing out one of the most fundamental parts of the game: interplanetary travel! To get an idea of what we have in mind, here's a look at a WIP version of the new navigation interface:

LameIndelibleFishingcat-size_restricted.gif
    (bigger gif)

Space isn't just about stars and planets, it's about the space between them, so you'll now be able to fly freely around systems and explore all kinds of new locations, from space stations to traveling merchant ships to mysterious derelicts! Systems won't just be static, either — moons orbit planets, planets orbit stars, and rich opportunities come and go, rewarding patient explorers with brand new perils and plunder!

2. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks like Star Control 2 all over again (*swoon*) - will it have ship to ship battles as well? :)

NebulaSquid and lordbociek like this.
  3. thogrinn

thogrinn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMFG. I'm waintin' for this since monthes....Imo, space exploration is very important in this kind of games ; Starbound is goin' to become a space opera referance i think.

Thx all the team for your efforts, work and fun !!!! :) :)

Masta Killa, lordbociek and Cally94 like this.
  4. Naiko

Naiko Void-Bound Voyager

OMG

I know it would be crazy to implement, but i think is possible, it would be SO cool to choose in wich part of the planet you would like to land, say for example you are watching this topview, you can choose to land in the inferior part of the planet, and lets say that in this part there's just an ocean, but if you choose the up part of the planet, there's a forest, that's for people who likes a planet so much, and it would add a new whole dimension to the game, i think

5. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

SPAAAAAACE

dat yellow core is tottaly me

great! space exploration i wait for you!
    thoght itll need some more updates?,
    are there gonna be adtional spaeship upgrades? like spd,armor, Scanner that could give you chance to find random things to eplorer or justbox of "stuff" flying in space?
    well i theyr added they will take more than few updates

eh?! youre askin why am i not asking about spae battles?
    well ofcourse not! those are already comfirmed!

6. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Pretty sure I am seeing OTHER ships in that map......

7. holicnescau

holicnescau Void-Bound Voyager

Mass Effect 2 hype

Yubs likes this.
  8. Ralek

Ralek Title Not Found

Best update. This adds a ton of more diversity not only to single player but multiplayer if you can see players orbiting a system. Can't wait for the next space update!!!

PaxCallow, Yarott and Captain Rage like this.
  9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

God f*cking damn it chucklefish! Why'd you have to drag me back into your game?! I had a good life and everything, but now I've got to go back and indulge in this again!

On that note, will we be getting boarding and space combat mechanics? I think it'd be nice to have a reason to store things on some remote planet instead of your ship.

Then again... Planetary invasions could be a thing...

Roubo, Masta Killa, Crossfang and 6 others like this.
  10. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

The idea of derelicts to fly to adds to so much to potential horror levels ala Alien

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

My eyes are making Zorak-blink noises now.

Unclever title, BlackGryphon and Kawa like this.
  12. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

FINALLY!!! Space is becoming interesting! If anything is changed in interplanetary travel, please please please PLEEEEEEEASE add some sort of encounter system. Merchants are a good start, but having to deal with hostile ships with any sort of mechanism behind the system would add an actual tensity and excitement to moving through space.

13. EstrangedNightfury

EstrangedNightfury Space Spelunker

Now this looks freaking awesome!

14. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh yes! That's some fine tease for what's to come.
    And just the right thing for my taste!

The intra-system navigation looks extremely cool!

15. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

This looks amazing and I really appreciate the pun title. :V

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ooo.

Now THIS..... THIS is how you do a Dev Blog Post. Show us something incredibly awesome that gets us wanting the next update!

17. mateuspm

mateuspm Void-Bound Voyager

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cally94 likes this.
  18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Amazing. Simply, purely, amazing.

I don't have any other words for that.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Molly.

Molly, stop.

My penis can only get so erect.

20. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

I can't find the words to describe how I feel about this..

This sounds awesome!

Really looking forward to this update!