10th August - Manipulates anything that matters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 10, 2015.

1. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

Same exact function just a different name. Take it or leave it.

lordbociek likes this.
  2. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Besides, if we're going end game with MM, then yeah i can understand its power, but perhaps maybe use those items still in the MM's upgrades. Like maybe you find a copper drill, you can do research on the drills you find in order to build an upgrade that increases the mining speed of the MM. Or maybe if you find glass jars and other methods of containment, can research into holding/manipulating liquids. I guess something like that, like those things have relevance, IF you find them in the field along with a MM upgrade module

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  3. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Honestly I would rather see the matter manipulator modulized. Like have an attachment of a paint can to the bottom for the paint tool. Or an antenna for the wire tool. I liked it when it was obvious when you were holding a paint sprayer.

4. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

And also, i can see the progression being hyped up as everything is being put together, especially when we are going into tier 2 (steel). So far you can just speed run the starter planet by digging down while building a few edges to climb back up or down. Also the next gate is acquiring a iron crafting table from collecting iron bars for a quest in the outpost. Then you realize that the starter planet is consisting on just coal, iron, and copper to progress into steel, and given that there are wall ores now, its not hard to stay near the crust of the planet and grab all you need. I tested and got to tier 2-3 in an half an hour.

As i'm seeing it, every tool, and some reams of progression, are being absorbed by the MM, which makes sense as omni-tool, but as the jack of all trades, its starting to feel like the master of all at this rate. I feel like when it does reach endgame, it should be the most reliable when you need it while other tools like say a beam-drill or beam-axe, should be the most specialized for the role they are made to do, like maybe they have the biggest radius or fastest mining/cutting speed, while the MM is capable of doing both with a high speed and radius while not being the HIGHEST.

When we're going into the paint and wiring tools, i get that, that makes sense, it starts to show its roll as a multi-tool device, and i also agree with another commentator that maybe add some visual modification that signals its change in roles ( like a paint tool has the color of the paint on the highlighter, and the wire tool, has the beam straight like a connector)

5. Darkwhip

Darkwhip Subatomic Cosmonaut

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  6. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

I like this, matter manipulator superiority 4 lyfe! As the kids probably say.
    You would twist on 21, wouldn't you?

7. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

It may be small, but useful change. It won't affect the gameplay too much but for something like standard issue matter manipulator - a tool so versatile and fundamental that it was standard of otherwise bare starship's equipment - it's quite fitting. It should remind one of Swiss Army knife of the future, I think.

I understand the concern but for me, the game, with how simplified it got over time (compare equipment and hazardous planet environment gameplay in how it was in the past/mockups and how it is now, not to mention survival mechanics like food that wasn't expanded to be decent but phased out completely instead) actually made progression too equipment-based. I'd rather have it dependant on player's skill, choices during story/quests, discovered places and events of importance than pushing oneself just to get another item to be able to do stuff.

And even if someone thinks differently, the current change shouldn't be much of a problem - the features that got now incorporated into matter manipulation were never a vital part of gameplay's progression. Plus, in all honesty, it was strange at times how one was running around with devices of one's own making and certain complexity, got down more than basics of metallurgy, but couldn't draw a wire or splash some paint without super specialized equipment.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  8. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

I like your idea, This way you wont have so much space being taken up by the other color flashlights and the grappling hook, doing this they could then change out the colored flashlights for flashlight lenses to apply to the manipulator instead of having 4 or more flashlights taking up storage space.

Also another thing they could do is make manipulator cases you could find, That way you could also change out the colors of the manipulator so it's not just stuck as a yellow color.

Spritley Jack and PabloM like this.
  9. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Perhaps a visual cue as to what mode the MM is set to, like a different beam color or a small AR hologram above the player showing a pickaxe/wired nodes/paint canister would be appreciated.
    Other than that, I like the idea of saying "set beams to stun paint".

-edit-
    Oh! Oh! Maybe it would be better to have the mouse cursor change with each mode, like the aforementioned icons with an arrow pointing towards the centre of the aoe.

10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I have absolutely no idea what that means, so probably not.

11. MrDrMuffinPants

MrDrMuffinPants Void-Bound Voyager

Most of the updates that are posted don't change anything "important," this was most likely one of the most interesting things going on. I've also seen a few people complaining about all the posts concerning furniture and asking for more posts about changes to game functions, so they did just that.

12. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I still remember when I used the custom spaceship building mod to make my ship a giant mobile matter manipulator... Ah imagine the chaos... Just watching it whilst you're relaxing and drinking a niiiice cold drink... or hot, whatever you prefer.

13. deathdragan

deathdragan Space Spelunker

I think that if there are these functions (and maybe more) than it shouldn't just be hotkeys, one should be able to hold down the scroll wheel and then scroll to select different modes. pressing the scroll wheel should also be an automatic selection of the M.M.

PabloM likes this.
  14. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

That was the point I was after in my post. It was obvious what tool you were using in the stable. With this update there could be confusion.

15. Kosmikoff

Kosmikoff Void-Bound Voyager

It would be nice to have "switchable mining modules" with like different cores of... "diamond, rubium and impervium" that you could turn on and off.
    So far, I found it kind of annoying to accidentally destroy 9x9 blocks in a single click, or to absorb fluids when you try to break the blocks below.

16. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

I've been actually wondering about that part, I remember before they said they would allow us control over the power and size but so far moment it's upgraded the manipulator is stuck in that strength and size.

Spritley Jack and PabloM like this.
  17. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

I'm all for anything that simplifies the "must haves" that I carry around.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Works for me. I mean, painting and wiring are likely to still be additional functions you unlock by some method, rather than default from-the-start capabilities.

Small change, but good for the lore and the "identity" of the game.

19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

You know, since we are talking about tweaking the MM and giving it more functions, I was thinking about that whole progression pace and I had a bit of an idea:

How about, instead of tying progression solely to nanosuits, let the MM be the deciding factor in what kind of materials you can get in order to survive harsher planets?

Give the player more freedom to go wherever they please as they improve their tools. If you have to leave the player stranded on the starting planet at first, make it so they can't mine core fragments with the vanilla MM. Once upgraded, let us loose to visit any planet we want to, but the more precious ores would be off limits until we have a powerful enough mining module.
    This would be kind of like what you guys did with tier 2 armor. You couldn't obtain better armor until you upgrade your MM enough to manipulate liquids. The thing is, after that, you could go without any further upgrades to it. granted, living on consumable pickaxes and drills alone is a hassle, but it's doable. And there isn't anything pushing you towards upgrading the tool other than pacience. I feel that we should be rewarded with more gameplay when upgrading the MM, not with less hassle. The problem with that idea is balancing pickaxes and drills around the tiered ores.

The plus is that, by simply giving us a fully upgraded Matter Manipulator from the get go, you have your open sandbox mode.

-edit-
    I know that the difficulty of altering the progression path like that at this point is enormous. And it would only get more complicated as more and more content is made over the current system. Just throwing that idea out there for what it's worth.

Tamorr, Spritley Jack and PabloM like this.
  20. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

So what I've seen so far for this update post is :
    Removed 2 sprites from the game.
    Disabled ability of other players to see what tool-function you are currently using.

....and that's it. Not exactly encouraging.