1-Year Community Center Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saraneth, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Have you done the 1-Year Community Center Challenge?

1. Yes, and I got it!

26 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Yes, but I didn't get everything in the year.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I started, but didn't finish or gave up early.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. No. I know about it, but haven't tried it.

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. #$*%^@& RED CABBAGE!!

24 vote(s)
    27.0%
  6. The WHAT challenge??

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

You can also 'throw money' at the Prismatic Shard problem. Once you unlock the Oasis, Sandy sells unlimited numbers of Omni-Geodes on Wednesdays for 1k a piece. Buy up a hundred or so and head to Clint's. I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least one out of your efforts. If not, go back the next Wednesday. You never have to set foot in the Skull Cave without a Galaxy weapon of choice if you don't want to.

You might also end up with enough Iridium to make the six iridium sprinklers for your greenhouse that way...

BentFX likes this.
    • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I tried that last night. Made it to floor 85. Started the summer with 13 Quality Sprinklers and the Mine Cart. I messed things up in a couple ways, so it won't be a save I keep, but I see how the strategy can work. It's always better the second time around.

Thanks.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

My next season of LP is going to start after the Multiplayer Update becomes stable. I'll be showing this off during that season.

Saraneth and BentFX like this.
        • TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

I've completed the Community Center in one year on two different saves. On a third save I had everything but the red cabbage at the end of the first year. I like the idea of having red cabbage drop from the train! Everything else you need is either fairly easy, or there are multiple possible ways to get it (ie gifts in the mail from villagers.)

I just started a new save with the intention of doing the CC challenge again -- but this time, as a YouTube Let's Play (check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi0lwZhkYT9hLkym5IzyVTA if you want to see how I do, though as of today there are only two episodes posted so it's far too early to see whether I will make it or not.)

My more short term "mini goal" is having a partner for the Year One flower dance (not counting Haley and Shane, as their pre-festival birthdays make it too easy to get them to four hearts before the dance.) Going for Harvey this time... which means buying coffee will be a serious drain on my early game income!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
          • Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

MasterYoba likes this.
          • kners

kners Subatomic Cosmonaut

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I gave it a go once I found the link and was successful on the first try because I knew I'd be getting the red cabbage, rabbit foot and a goat milk all in Spring and Summer. It let me finish the CC by mid-Fall Y1 thanks to getting the greenhouse and winter roots in the mines so I could grow the winter seed in the greenhouse and get the winter forage items.
            Definitely let me cross this off my bucket list!

• Mr. Dennis

Mr. Dennis Void-Bound Voyager

I recently completed the Community Center on the 23rd of Fall year 1 (first time I've actually completed it). I originally hadn't planned to get it done so early, but when I got the red cabbage, a duck feather and a rabbit's foot in the first month, I thought I'd try it. I got a nautilus shell near the end of fall, meaning the only items that could possibly stop me from getting it done in Fall, were a Snow Yam and a Crocus. However, I already had the greenhouse meaning I could turn some Winter Roots into seeds and plant them in the greenhouse. I also had a large amount of luck with the Bat Cave, getting me a pomegranate and lots of other fruits, making it easier to complete the Artisan Bundle. I did buy a apple tree, as the chance to get 3 apples from the Bat Cave was a bit too small for my liking. I put a screenshot with it showing I completed it on Fall 23rd, with the 30 winter seeds in my inventory being the reward for completing the Winter Forage bundle. It doesn't show it's year 1 though, so take my word for it. Edit: I was playing on the Forest Farm by the way, and didn't use the Predictor.

Attached Files:

ShneekeyTheLost and Saraneth like this.
              • Sleeping Fox

Sleeping Fox Void-Bound Voyager

I completed the challenge on my third attempt (on Winter 1 Year 1). My first attempt failed because of the red cabbage. It was available in the traveling cart in Spring but I didn't have enough money to buy it and since I didn't know it was a rare item in the cart, I thought I'd buy it another time (didn't happen, obviously). My second attempt was unsuccessful because I didn't get a truffle. I didn't make enough money for the last barn upgrade in time but thought I would still get it done because I expected the pig to mature on Fall 28 and get me the one truffle I needed. I miscalculated and the pig matured on Winter 1. The traveling cart didn't offer any truffles either, so I had to wait til Spring 1 of the second year to complete the last bundle, just because my pig matured one day too late.

On my third attempt I tried to focus only on the Community Center (because I usually want to do too many things at once), so I saved more money by only buying things I absolutely needed. Since I used the Standard Farm map, I tried to get the first two upgrades for the axe as soon as possible for the forageables from the Secret Woods. I think I had access by the end of Spring, but I couldn't get the morel that I wanted for the Exotic Foraging Bundle (luckily this one is optional and I found something else to use). At least I had access to the Secret Woods early enough that I didn't have to worry about getting the fiddlehead fern.

I used the Stardew Predictor this time to know there'd be a red cabbage and to find out if I could get animal products to save money buy not buying all animals. I got a duck feather and a large goat milk from the cart, so I didn't have to buy any ducks or goats and I also didn't buy sheep because I could get wool from a rabbit (which I needed anyway for the rabbit's foot). The cart also offered the large brown and white egg, but I still bought one white and one brown chicken because I needed at least one more egg for the Fried Egg anway and this way I could also get some money for the coop back by selling mayonnaise.

I almost failed the challenge because of the three apples and the truffle (again). Since I had gotten three apples from the bat cave in my other save, I thought I could save money for the apple tree (I hate planting trees in the first year, because I usually haven't decided what I want my farm to look like and will have to chop it down later on because it's somewhere where I don't want it to be). Luckily I realized in time that I might not get any apples from the bat cave, so I planted a tree towards the end of summer (I think around the 23rd/24th) to make sure I would still get at least three apples. Next time I would plant it even earlier, because I had thunderstorms almost every day at the end of Fall and was scared a lightning might strike the tree and make it produce coal instead of apples.

Since I saved more money, I got the barn upgrade earlier than last time and my pig matured on the 20th Fall. Great, except that it was a rainy day and then for some reason I had 7 days of rain in a row! I was starting to get really nervous, but luckily I finally got a sunny day and my first truffle on Fall 26 and I think Fall 27 is always safe because of the festival, but on Fall 28 there was rain again so I feel like the early pig was such a waste of money because it spent most of the time in the barn, only got me two truffles and is going to be completely useless all Winter.

I was very lucky with the Winter Forage this time. The winter root and crystal fruit are never a problem as I get them from the caves, but sometimes I don't find any snow yams or crocus on the early Winter days. But this time a snow yam was available in the traveling cart and I found a crocus on Winter 1, so I could complete the Community Center the same day. I probably could have finished it a few days earlier if I had known you can put winter roots into the seed maker to turn them into winter seeds, because I already had two winter roots and the greenhouse.

Though I am glad to have completed the challenge, I don't know if I would prioritize the Community Center that much again, because I have neglected other aspects of the game and feel like I've made less progress than in my the other saves because I'm now still missing a backpack upgrade, haven't upgraded all my tools, no horse, no cellar, an almost empty barn and coop, almost no friends (and no stash of gifts because I sold everything), and no Mermaid's Pendant to propose to my future-husband. On top of that I had to buy/pick things that I don't want like the bat cave, coop, and apple tree. Maybe next time I will try to ignore the Community Center for the early days and instead challenge myself to get Sebastian to dance with me at the Flower Dance and marry him as quickly as possible. I got him to dance with me in a save where I wanted to marry someone else but never again afterwards, so knowing it's possible to get him to 4 hearts in time, I want to achieve this in the right game. Ignoring the Community Center will probably be a challenge in itself, because I always find myself running towards it as soon as I have my first crops/forageables.

Saraneth likes this.
                • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i've completed a year-one cc every playthrough though on my third game i ended up downloading the traveling cart mod and set it to have a 50% spawn rate 5 days a week ever since. it's usually not the cabbage that gets me but the pomegranate and rabbit's foot(i've only done a non-forage game one time) truthfully trying to get the cabbage is about as stressful as raising gold produce :rofl: even without the cart mod i've always gotten it by the beginning of winter

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I finished it early winter (the 10th or so, I think?) on my current playthrough. Red cabbage appeared somewhere in mid-summer so that wasn't a huge deal, my pig gave me a truffle on fall 22ish but i'd actually bought one the friday before that because for some reason I thought pigs took two full weeks to grow up and I was worried that I wouldn't get one if I only had a couple days of having an adult pig before winter. I was more worried about the rabbit. Because of not having a ton of farming space on the fishing layout, I didn't have enough money to buy the rabbit until late fall, but then I got lucky with good luck days and its first two drops were both rabbit's feet. :DD