1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue 1.3 - Greenhouse - Can't place fruit trees anymore over paraphernalia along the walls

Discussion in 'Support' started by the_rabidsquirel, May 23, 2018.

1. the_rabidsquirel

the_rabidsquirel Space Hobo

I'm not sure whether this is intended behaviour or a bug, but as the title says you can no longer plant a full 20 fruit trees around the edge of the greenhouse. Outside of the beta the barrels, plants, and other items along the edges didn't prevent you from planting trees, but in the beta they do. I grabbed these screenshots just before making this post, so I have the most up to date version of the beta.

EDIT: This is in version 1.3.12 of the Steam version of the game.

If I load up one of my saves from 1.2 the 20 fruit trees around the edge still produce fruit just fine, though the objects that are there on the edge prevent planting.

Existing Game - Can't Place.jpg

Existing Game - Can Place.jpg

If I load up a save I started in 1.3 I can't place fruit trees over any of the objects (or even the free corners in the top), making it impossible to replicate the layout of my 1.2 game.

New Game - Corner.jpg

New Game - Wall.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • crzymom

crzymom Void-Bound Voyager

I haven't ever been able to plant trees on the stuff in the greenhouse. Only between that and the wood rim of the dirt. 18 trees can be planted in that location on the tiles. I have played both versions of the game.

• the_rabidsquirel

That's really interesting. I know I'm definitely not the only one though cause I only found out about it through the wiki, so there's gotta be a sizable number of players out there that can do it. What system are you playing on? As I said in my comment I'm on Steam.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Greenhouse21Trees.png

In the changelog for 1.1 there's also a mention of "You can once again plant fruit trees around the edge of the Greenhouse interior." I suppose that could be referring to the edge period though, and not just where the objects are around the edge.

http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-v1-1-changelog/

• crzymom

crzymom Void-Bound Voyager

I had always thought it to mean on the tiles around the wood rim. I play on both Steam and the Switch and it is the same for both for me.

• the_rabidsquirel

Just to double check, I opted out of the beta and started a new game. Used the name cheat to get a bunch of money right away and buy the greenhouse and some saplings. Sure enough I can absolutely plant on the things on the outside, just like I've done in my game. When I switch back to the beta I can't. I've never installed a single mod either.

Greenhouse.jpg

• Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

I'm sure planting a tree on top of a barrel is not an intended feature. Far as I've seen, everyone plants on the outer rim, and that works just fine. The tile even opens up to give room for the tree to grow.

• the_rabidsquirel

Visually the barrel, plant, water trough, or whatever is there under it, so yes it definitely looks a little silly. If it is intentional though then you could have the item disappear to avoid visual silliness, and allowing the player to use every single square in the greenhouse. Maybe it was a bug that the item wasn't visually disappearing, or maybe it wasn't considered. That's why I made this thread, cause I've noticed a discrepancy and am not sure which is the intentional behavior.

Considering planting over the items is on the wiki and in a number of threads and images, it's definitely widespread information, and so I assumed ConcernedApe probably knows about it and that it's intentional. That it's different now and that there hasn't been any sort of changelog I've seen about making a change to greenhouse behaviour suggests to me it's not intentional, but again I could easily be wrong. Speculating won't accomplish anything, which is why I hoped to bring this to the attention of someone that would have an answer.

• Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

You see it and think "Oh he could have just forgotten to make the barrel vanish into thin air." and I see it as "Oh he must have forgotten to void that tile for plant placement, as everywhere else in the game does not allow for this." We can't place kegs over the cosmetic barrels in the barn, or the water in the coop, etc. Imo it's not pure speculation, it's putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4. It's a logical conclusion.
                  He fixed it to line up with the rest of the game. I mean you can hope for otherwise all you want, but I wouldn't hold my breath personally. Good luck though, I definitely would love to place more kegs in my barns.

• the_rabidsquirel

Ah, yeah, that was silly of me to overlook how other buildings worked. I was just so focused on how prevalent it seemed in the community that to me it seemed intentional. Very probably is intentional the way it's working now in the beta then. It's not that it makes a huge difference, 20 trees versus 18, it's just in my mind it seemed like an odd change so I wanted to bring it to attention.

What still confuses me though is how in the same version of the game I could plant trees over things in the greenhouse but the other person couldn't, be it a new game or an old one. Not that it matters at this point, but I wonder what could've caused that.

Edit: Also not that it matters to the game, but you're wording the alternatives in such a way to make my viewpoint look ridiculous. "Oh he could have just forgotten to make the barrel vanish into thin air." is different from "He made all the space available in the greenhouse but forget that there would be visual conflicts in the edges." I agree with you now, just defending why I originally thought what I did.