1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue [1.3.0rc2, linux x86_64] Debilitating memory leak after moderate playtime

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Muffindrake, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Muffindrake

Muffindrake Big Damn Hero

Greetings,

I've spent some time in the current release candidate of the 1.3 release and have come across a quite significant memory leak which occurs after some time doing starbound-related things.

After a period of somewhat more than an hour, I've done a cursory look at the resource usage of starbound and found that the process had ~13.8GB virtual, >10GB resident memory assigned. Deciding that it wouldn't be worth my time waiting for my system to start swapping to disk (16GB memory with equally-sized swap on this system) and eventually have the oom-killer take care of the job anyway, I ended the game myself.

I later launched the game again and could reproduce the problem, however I could not pin down the exact cause of the leak. Again I terminated the game myself, after I could see an abnormal amount of memory being used.

/proc/.../status of the starbound process:
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...74e214e7605d2b3ef860affdde731ef09b/procstatus
    Note VmSize at well over 10GB and RssAnon at ~7GB

starbound.log (no crash occurred, since I exited the game cleanly):
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...8b5c9b01fc429407d86a878aa035001/starbound.log

Windowed mode at 1920x1080 resolution; no mods used.
    OS: Gentoo Linux, kernel 4.11.3 (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources) with mostly latest libraries that aren't hard-masked; with nvidia-drivers-381.22

Actions I've done in the time:
    - General planet exploration, deep mining
    - Jumping between star systems and flying between planets, asteroid belts, anomalies, hostile ships
    - Combat, Mechs, Missions (Erchius Facility, some Tech practice missions, Mech introductory mission), Crafting

Let me know if any further information is required; unfortunately, I can't be specific as to what triggers the leak, as I haven't done anything specific in that time. I'm sure this problem will be quite visible on any Linux system running the game; submit reports if you're running the game under Linux.

2. SmiVan

SmiVan Aquatic Astronaut

Can confirm, experiencing a very similar severe memory leak on Windows 7.

I think it might have something to do with loading/unloading areas, since for me it started being gameplay-affecting after I've travelled up and down to a planet doing quests. Either that or its something to do with how quests work.

Note that I have visited no more than 2 planets and 2 ship-encounters during my playthrough, but I have taken a lot of quests and went up and down between the ship and the planet many times.

EDIT: On the topic of quests, it seems many of them do not function correctly (item carrying quests in particular). Currently trying to recreate the leak, but the RAM usage on starbound has only risen by 2 GB in the last hour, not as much as previously.

EDIT 2: Another hour later, starbound has increased in average RAM usage by another 2 GB (now it is at about 6 GB on average). I have been doing nothing but going between a planet, ship and outpost, trying to do quests and upgrading my ship.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017