1.1 Beta Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ConcernedApe, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tinycarol

tinycarol Space Hobo

Summary of issue: Game crashes on launch.

Expected Behavior: Game opens normally and I can play.

Actual Behavior: I launch the game through Steam, I get a blank game window and then the game crashes. Happens again after reinstalling, after deleting my saves, after disabling the beta versions, after launching with both integrated and dedicated graphics, and after restarting my PC.

Steps for Reproduction: I just downloaded the update and launched the game, had played before (months ago) with no issues. After looking up the crash message I found more people with the same issue (from months ago) and no solution.

What Operating System are you using: Windows 10 pro version 1607 compilation number 1439.82 64 bits. My OS language is Spanish, in case it helps, but my character name doesn't contain non-english characters (t's Paca).

Crash log:
    Message: The character 'á' (0x00e1) is not available in this SpriteFont. If applicable, adjust the font's start and end CharacterRegions to include this character.
    Nombre del parámetro: character
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteFont.GetIndexForCharacter(Char character)
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteFont.InternalMeasure(StringProxy& text)
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteFont.MeasureString(String text)
    en StardewValley.Game1.parseText(String text, SpriteFont whichFont, Int32 width)
    en StardewValley.StartupPreferences.loadPreferences()
    en StardewValley.Menus.TitleMenu..ctor()
    en StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time)
    en StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    en System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    en StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Just want to let you guys know that I'm working on a patch for some of these lingering issues with 1.1. Thanks for the continued error reporting.

• ConcernedApe

Are you in an english-speaking region? The error log points to an unexpected character that is not supported by the game's font.

• ConcernedApe

You can get iridium-star animal products if your animals are very happy. This is intended

Sabram, Pudassassin and Pawserve like this.
          • KanzenSilver

KanzenSilver Void-Bound Voyager

I have same issue with my hilltop farm. a couple of my bridges are blocked by hardwood stumps. BUT I can get thru most of the farm it just takes longer. So Question. has anyone tried fishing on the farms that are the riverland? I seem to get a lot of fish in riverland but hilltop has river thru it and I seem to get more trash than anything! Its about as bad as trying to fish on the original farm! Just a curiousity thing not a glitch. ty

• Kh0rnet

Kh0rnet Subatomic Cosmonaut

CA since you popped into this thread, will you be holding a QA session/thread about some features and changes in 1.1? There are a lot of mixed opinions about balancing, for starters...

Personally three things bother me the most:
              - why is there only one mead type? Shouldn't it scale with the type of honey you make it with, a la wine and juice?
              - why not implement silver and gold start quality on coop animal products, including dinosaurs? I think they were mistakenly implemented during the beta for a day, and I thought they were a new feature. It would make ranching more viable, right now there is very little point to befriending coop animals...
              - is the Artisan bonus intentionally not applied to coffee, and the Tiller bonus intentionally not applied to coffee beans?

• ConcernedApe

- why is there only one mead type? Shouldn't it scale with the type of honey you make it with, a la wine and juice?
                Good point
                - why not implement silver and gold start quality on coop animal products, including dinosaurs? I think they were mistakenly implemented during the beta for a day, and I thought they were a new feature. It would make ranching more viable, right now there is very little point to befriending coop animals...
                There are quality levels for coop animals, all the way up to iridium.
                - is the Artisan bonus intentionally not applied to coffee, and the Tiller bonus intentionally not applied to coffee beans?
                not intentional

• Kh0rnet

Kh0rnet Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you so much for the reply!
                  So it IS a new feature! Well, that's excellent.
                  What's less excellent is that it's bugged in this case. I've been playing for two-in game weeks on 1.1 since yesterday and had no silver, gold or iridium quality eggs, wool, etc. I DID find them on Sunday, I think, during the beta. Then they just stopped spawning on the Monday update.

• ConcernedApe

You're absolutely right, i overlooked something in the code. Thanks for pointing this out. It will be fixed in the patch I'm working on

Pudassassin likes this.
                    • ElSkullkido

ElSkullkido Guest

CA, I had two questions myself that have stuck with me since launch, as well as after this new update, and haven't been able to find any answers:
                      - Was the Sweet Gem Berry intended to be unusable in kegs and preserves jars?
                      - Will there be a form of Mayo for the Dinosaur Egg implemented as with the Void Chicken [Dinosaur eggs only produce regular Mayo, which lowers their value] , and is the dinosaur intended to sell for 1278g at the 5-heart mark? [Very slightly above the price for a chicken]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
                      • ConcernedApe

1) yes, the sweet gem berry was never intended to be a cash crop
                        2) I'm not sure if there will be dino mayo. It could be possible in a future update.

• Thadius0

Thadius0 Master Chief

@ConcernedApe, I would like to say that I am not sure about the balancing issues myself. Yes, I agree, other professions in the agriculture tree should be buffed to match artisan, but hitting Artisan and our favorite crops with such a big nerf-bat...

My greenhouse of Ancient Fruits, that I spent all winter making in the Seed Maker with my first one, now is...a trophy more than anything. Like the blue chickens. As well, others have already worked out the 'new' best crops to grow. Hint, it's coffee and hops.

One or the other please, not both. Or you could use someone else's idea, and make it so the Ancient Seeds can't be gotten from the seed-maker, unless you use an Ancient Fruit. Makes them more mystical and special and worth the price tag they previously had.

Also, I'm getting...Iridium quality coral and clams from the beach. And Iridium quality truffles. Um...I think Botanist might need a look-at.

Also, could I possibly ask that perhaps the Blue chickens drop...I dunno? Blue Eggs or something like that? Make them seem a bit more special as well. I put in the effort with Shane, and rolled the dice enough to get them. I just think that for something that's a reference to the Super Cucco, it should be a bit more...super.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
                            Pudassassin and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                          • benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

@ConcernedApe I've been meaning to ask, but did you add any new events for the villagers? Feels like there's yet so many stories to unfold like the Wizard's daughter, Jas demonic side, and stuff like that...

Also, is it too much to ask that you add the animal friendship not decaying after maxing their hearts? I mean, only if you let the door open during rainy days, don't feed them or stuff like that.

EltonScone, Thadius0 and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                            • Drobodur

Drobodur Void-Bound Voyager

Just an opinion, and some thoughts, on "antient fruit" "nerf" and other "ballance changes" (in terms of lowering prices).

Ape - don't be so conserned, lol.

Whatever you do with the game - there will be always a way, to do things in "optimal way". And there will be people writing, and reading huge forum post, making spread sheets, to "min / max" better, and so on, and so on.
                              On the other side of the spectrum - there will alway be "roleplayers", who will just role play.
                              There will be guys, who grow only optimal things (and wil do research), and guys - who will not.
                              There will be guys, who will check wiki on what NPC like, and also there will be some, who will deliberately "play blind".
                              It's fine.
                              It's cool.

Part of the reason this game is so successful, is - because you can play it, the way you like.

The thing is - people fine with changes, but if they already "formed some basis", on "how things are" - they might just feel uncomfortable with any change. Hell - my pet rat (when it was alive), was terrified once a week, when I changed old newspaper in his aquarium.

Chill, relax, add new stuff, and feel good about yourself.
                              Just dont think, that because you made this game - you know better, how to play it. I dont know if you dealt with it, but this is common "New Dungeon Master" problemm, in roleplay field. Don't "constrict" - expand. Don't pander - just do what you like. Embrace the "madness", and learn how to "steer" story into right way. Not one exclusive "bottleneck" part, but general direction.

Just - don't loose mind, over your newfound "power", and dont become "I know better"- guy.

Just don't turn into this:

P.S.

You - cool.

Sabram likes this.
                              • Phantom Miria

Phantom Miria Phantasmal Quasar

Summary of issue: Just another instance of the interactive dog wallpaper. It spawned there when I got back to house late.

Expected Behavior: Dog

Actual Behavior: Spider dog

[​IMG]

Steps for Reproduction:
                                Probably get back to first stage house late.

What Operating System are you using: Windows 7 Ultimate

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Okay, so it looks like CA is still checking this thread, so I'm just gonna report my crash here:

My game crashed just as it tried to save by the end of the day and it failed to save. I added the error log.

Attached Files:

• Feweo

Feweo Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry if this was pointed out before buuuuut...

Summary of issue:
                                    Inappropriate play time with babies! My character can toss their child while they're asleep in the crib at night.

Expected Behavior: Babies must sleep. Babies must rest. Wise is the one who does not waken them.

Actual Behavior: SLEEPING BABY GOES WHEEEEEE! DO A BARREL ROLL! And apparently sleeping baby still loves it.

Steps for Reproduction: Have a baby in crib during second phase of life (baby is awake during day, can be tossed). Go up to crib at night and interact.

What Operating System are you using: Windows 7 x64 Professional

On another note (and forgive me if I overstep my bounds here):
                                    Given the cut scenes with Shane... I think/feel he needs a reason for feeling. Many players on the board already identify with him with his first commentary in his cut scene (I know I do), but this would be a great opportunity to deepen this player identification if he admitted What In Particular he tried and failed so hard at that put him where he is mentally and physically (didn't make it through college, business venture flopped, failed very serious relationship, incredibly bad childhood, not achieving the self expectancy of being a good godfather to Jas, all the above, etc.). While it is possible to feel like a huge failure for its own sake, more oft than not something in particular triggers this feeling of inferiority and is what keeps a person a prisoner.

Also, Jas is due for some cut scenes of her own that feature Shane to show just he's involved and influences (or she's trying to involve him) in her life - something to show she has an emotional investment in him beyond 'He's just in the house' given her response to his commentary on plans. Yes, a child can be distressed at such things by its own merits, but I feel there is an opportunity to expand on Jas AND Shane at the same time through showing something of them doing something together (Such as Jas trying to involve Shane in one of her games with her myriad array of toys on a rainy day to try to draw him out of his routine, or Shane gifting her with a toy he bought from a Joja catalog, which might explain why she has so many, etc.).

Anyway, keep it up! Dearly love how Stardew Valley is being fleshed out with all the other fun bits and bobs that go in!

Attached Files:

• HarvestTroll

HarvestTroll Tentacle Wrangler

Quick question, are Coffee Beans supposed to drop from Dust Sprites ?
                                      Had it happen two or three times on happy spirits days (mid spring and early summer).

• claudiaestein

claudiaestein Space Hobo

Summary of issue:
                                        I started a new game, in Fall Year one i created Mead and then placed it in the crate to sell. When the day ended and it showed me my total for the day the game crashed. I did the day over again without selling the Mead and the game didn't crash.

Expected Behavior:

Sell Mead

Actual Behavior:
                                        Crashed Game

Steps for Reproduction:
                                        Sell Mead. I'm not sure why, I don't have any house upgrades and i was in year 1.

What Operating System are you using:
                                        Windows 10

• Velcrast

Velcrast Aquatic Astronaut

Hey Concerned Ape I am unsure if someone already asked this or not but are there plans to make shed upgrades?