1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated [WIP] The Shades [Upbeat Giraffe] 1.1

Adds a some rage-filled, angry ghost people to your game!

1. jackster_227
    Meet the Shades!

So I'm finally back after a long time away from modding. From now on I will be posting updates. I've fixed it for stable upbeat giraffe so you can now play as the shades again! Hurrah!

Welcome travelers, I would like to introduce you to my first ever mod! At least the first mod I have released on here anyway... Before we get started I would like to point out that I am not the greatest pixel artist (or artist in general) and that this mod is NOT finished. At all. Okay? So don't go throwing a fit when you find out that they don't have armour or a ship. This is a very early version that I thought I would release to get feedback and ideas from the internet (Not a good idea I know, but still...) With that out of the way lets get onto the mod.

The Shade's are a lonely and sad species, with very few of them being intelligent. They were born after Earth was ripped apart by the tentacles. They are the ghosts of the Humans who died in the fight. Some scholars think they were born of the tentacles hatred for them thus explaining their tentacles. Others think that the Humans clung to their life so much that they somehow were reborn into the Shades. But something happened during the transformation...

Many Shade's lost their humanity and intelligence becoming vicious and murderous. However, some kept their intelligence and got aboard or hijacked the ships that were fleeing to the stars. Due to such a minority actually leaving Earth, it was very rare that you would encounter them anywhere and they were quickly dismissed as myth or legend.

[​IMG]
    No it is not Slenderman!

[​IMG]
    Tentacle sword! (Again, not a great sprite artist)

I have a huge To Do list for this mod. Which i'm hoping I will one day get done.
    - Add tentacles to females
    - Make the icon in character creation better
    - Add swimming animations
    - Make the pixel art better
    - Add tentacle colours at character creation "Cause why not!"
    - Add decent hair.
    - Add Shade clothes
    - Give them a full arsenal of Shade weapons and armour
    - Finish up lore and stuff.
    - Custom quest text
    - *Maybe* a custom ship
    - Other stuff which I forgot to mention.

You cannot currently change their skin colour. If you change it they become opaque which doesn't look good. So you probably will never be able to change it. Sorry guys...

I recommend playing without hair for the time being since it looks ugly, But it's your choice.

-Install-

0. Get WinRar or 7Zip if you haven't already.
    1. Download the mod with the big download button at the top of the page.
    2. Go to Program files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/starbound/mods.
    3. Take the FOLDER INSIDE of the shades.zip you just downloaded and put it in the mods folder.
    4. Play.

It is actually that easy.

Big thanks to everyone over at http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=##starbound-modding&uio=d4# for helping me out whenever I was stuck while making this mod.

Thanks for downloading!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Recent Reviews

1. Slurpington
    Slurpington
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0
    also add a planet of darkness itll blend in perfectly
    1. jackster_227
      Author's Response
      Don't know how to make custom planets but I will look into it this is a really cool idea! I'm not sure how to fit it into their lore though.
  2. Zalgo the GodEater
    Zalgo the GodEater
    4/5,
    This is a very cool concept. I mean, yeah, there's a lot of work to be done, but hey, it's a new mod, so that's expected. I love the tentacle movement on the sprites, by the way!
    1. jackster_227
      Author's Response
      Thank you! The tentacles by far to the longest. I'm back and modding again so I will start working on all the features that are missing!
  3. Moxxit
    Moxxit
    4/5,
    It's would be cool if it had it's own set of armor and weapons and it's own ship but other than that it looks really cool.
    1. jackster_227
      Author's Response
      Yeah working on them. Going to do weapons first as I know how to do them :P Will work on armour soon