1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Unofficial Modding Ebook 2.0 SB v1.05 [ Ebook v2.2a ]

Learn to make mods for Starbound 1.0

1. The | Suit
    UPDATED FOR STARBOUND 1.05

Do you wish to learn modding, but never modded anything in your life before?

No Problem!

This guide is a created especially for those completely new to the modding scene.

You do not need any programming experience or pixel art experience to get into starbound modding. A good 95% of starbound can be modded through JSON alone, which is a data interchange format. You would never have to touch Lua ( an actual programming language ) at all!

Modding starbound is almost as simple as filling out a form, so if you haven't already its a good time to give it a shot. But bare in mind you do need to put in some effort on your part to see things through. It may be easy but there is a degree of creativity as well as critical thinking involved.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE TO THE DESKTOP
    When you click on the download link you will be taken to a PDF viewer page. This is to allow users without a PDF reader to be able to see the file. For those who want an offline solution on the top right of the PDF Viewer page another download link will appear where you can download the file to your desktop to view.

[​IMG]

PLEASE READ THE UPDATE NOTES - IT MAY CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION SUCH AS CORRECTIONS

Contents

If you have any modding doubts please make a new thread here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/mod-releases-modding-help.111/

or meet us on irc.freenode.net in channel ##starbound-modding
    You can connect to IRC here
    - http://playstarbound.com/live-chat/

also you can find more tutorials here
    http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/mod-releases-modding-help.111/?prefix_id=52

If you find any mistakes in the E-Book or have any doubts about the E-Book please post here:

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/unofficial-modding-ebook.96671/

Nomad Girl Image by ChuckleFish
    Find more Wallpaper images here: http://playstarbound.com/media/
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. NoxEternisZ
    NoxEternisZ
    4/5,
    Version: SB v1.05 [ Ebook v2.2a ]
    I haven't gone through all of it but it looks to be very helpful, I've started to learn how to make a simple mod however I go to the unpacking/packing video and it says it's unavailable. Is there another video that shows this?
    1. The | Suit
  2. VampERRus
    VampERRus
    5/5,
    I love this book, it has some potential, but for now there is simply not enough information. For example, how do I make a weapon? Or how to make techs or effects? -such questions are not answered at all. I do understand that this depends on pratice, but I simply don`t know what to do.
    I gave 5 stars because the idea and design is friendly and nice. Just add stuff so this book becomes useful for most of situations and needs ;)
    1. The | Suit
      Author's Response
      Currently waiting for next version of Starbound to release before I plan on updating it. As it may change a lot fundamentals which would make it a pain to write it again.
  3. Starbounder2018
    Starbounder2018
    5/5,
    This is pretty neat! can't wait to add some basic mods. Thanks for this
  4. Supernovakid1
    Supernovakid1
    5/5,
    1. The | Suit
      Author's Response
      Congrats, glad you liked it.
  5. SaahilNZ
    SaahilNZ
    4/5,
    Having a quick skim through, seems like a great resource to help modders new and old. My only gripe with it is that you said JSON stands for Javacript Oriented Notation, when it actually stands for JavaScript Object Notation. That minor error aside, it looks exceptionally well-written, great work.
  6. Midnight
    Midnight
    5/5,
    Thanks for making this, it really helped me to start modding.
  7. ChronoHyperion
    ChronoHyperion
    5/5,
    Great for new modders and even if I don't do modding, I will go to this modding handbook if I ever had the feeling to mod in starbound.
  8. ImHereForTheMods
    ImHereForTheMods
    5/5,
    Overall seems like a pretty useful resource for modders. Thanks for making it!
  9. GonDragon
    GonDragon
    5/5,
    Pretty basic, and pretty good. Shows you the basics of Starbound Modding. It's well indexed, so it's really handy to vanish any little doubt.

Good guide to new modders, and a good consult resource for not so new modders ;)
  10. Tamamo89
    Tamamo89
    5/5,
    This is truly a gift to the community and is well written and informative. A excellent starting point for those interested in modding. Or people that need a refresher.