1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bookstore 1.4.1

It adds a Bookstore to the Outpost

1. GonDragon
    Extra! Extra!
    You can submit newspaper articles about the starbound universe to being added to this mod. Check this thread.

Bookstore.png

Adds a new bookstore to the Outpost.

This mod is intended to be used as a framework, a kind of "Tabula Rasa" for codex entries, where other modders could put their own books, and create their own categories.

A lot of modders add books to the game. Some of them are manuals of how their mod works, others contain lore of the new species and races that they introduce to the game, and others are just silly stories to add some fun content to the game. All the modders that add this kind of content face one problem: How do I give my books to the player?

Some of them have their own "outpost", where they could put shops and bookshelves with the books, but they can't always put all their books there, and not everyone can made their own "outpost". Others find some unimmersive ways, like making the book just appear in the player's ship. Finally, others just leave the job to luck, and let the books appear as "loot" in some dungeons."

This mod offers an optional alternative to that. What does this mean? This means that the modder could make a patch to put his books in the bookstore, and if the user doesn't have this mod, then nothing happens and everything is fine... but if the user has this mod, then they can go to the outpost and buy the books. This mod is also very versatile; if you use it and don't like it, then you can uninstall it without any problems.

Also, I don't want to publish just an empty canvas, so the bookstore offers some of the stock books (one for each race), the colony deed manual, and some story compilations.

But books have more than one use, so... what are books useful for? Sharing lore and instructions are the most common use of books, but they are also useful for other things.
    The books are great for starting quests:

You could put a book as loot, a book that tells the legend of a mysterious planet full of pixels... but if the player doesn't have the patience to look for the book through the universe, they could just go to the bookstore and buy it.

Books are also a good way to guide the player a particular way. Instead of just starting a formal quest, a book could say things about new planets, biomes, creatures, and buildings, where to find them, and what you could expect as a prize for finding them. Even some sub-plot or mysterious history could start with a phrase in a book, and end in a formal quest.

You could even add info about the updates of your mod as "News" from a newspaper ("New discoveries in matter", "There is a new gun rounding the world", etc), or codex entries that you could just simply erase from your mod when they become old.

Finally, the books are a good way to learn new recipes, i.e. "How in the world did that Floran learn to build that computer?... Eassy, Floran buyss a sschematicss at the Booksstore".

So, I release these tools for you. However you choose to use it, it's in your hands.

Here, an image of the interface.
    [​IMG]

For Moders: If you want to learn how to add a book or a tab to the bookstore, it's pretty easy, just check the instructions at Github.

P.S.: I want to give a special thank to v6ooo, as I made the interface of the bookstore using his "Many Tabs" mod as a base. I encourage the use of that mod, it's pretty usefull.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. Yuri99
    Yuri99
    5/5,
    Version: 1.3
    no more looking for dat part of "how i became a landlord"
    thanks man. Good job!!!
  2. StaticTMTJ
    StaticTMTJ
    4/5,
    Version: 1.3
    Good Mod Raise the book price to 75 pixels sir, please
  3. Warlord27
    Warlord27
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    Please add more books or codex
    I'm interesting reading them
    and also great Bookstore Design
    +5 Stars
    1. GonDragon
      Author's Response
      I added a new mod, "Codex - A Bookstore Addon". That mod adds all of the codex entries as books to the bookstore, for the ones that want more and more books.
  4. hellenicshaco
    hellenicshaco
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    Very nice and useful mod for me, who don't want to read the lose and history of any race, nicely done! :D