1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Starbound's Unofficial Alternate Launcher (SUAL) 2014-06-17

(THIRD PARTY TOOL) Run Nightly OR Stable Starbound!

1. Type1Ninja
    Type1Ninja's Unofficial Alternate Launcher for Starbound (SUAL)

The Forum Thread is Better for Responding. Go There if you can.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...l-alternate-launcher-sual.80590/#post-2065209

SUAL.png

This is the thread for Starbound's Unofficial Alternate Launcher (SUAL). This is a third-party tool which allows players to keep multiple saves. Currently, a very limited amount of these profiles are available; at the time of this edit, only Nightly and Stable versions are available. This is the thread for instructions and suggestions. Instructions must be followed very exactly, or the program may not work at all (I can only do so much in a program; most of the stuff just has to be manual and therefore fallible). Disclaimer: be careful, and back up your Starbound folder before doing anything with it! This applies to any and every mod/third party tool for any game. Be safe!

Note: Because of the way the program works, Steam features, such as screenshots or the Steam overlay, cannot be used if the game is launched using SUAL. That's just the way it is, don't complain.

The Instructions Section

First Run Instructions:

1. Make sure you have the latest Stable version of Starbound as your Steam-accessible version.
    2. Open SUAL. Press the Button "Change to Nightly."
    3. Go to Steam. Follow the instructions to download Nightly, located below.
    4. You are now ready to use SUAL. Instructions on how to update all versions are located below.
    Note: Following these instructions properly will make the Steam-accessible version nightly.

How to Download Nightly/Stable to Steam:

1. Open Steam. Go to your Steam Library.
    2. Right click on Starbound, and go into Properties.
    3. Go into the Betas tab at the top. In the drop down menu labeled "Select the beta you would like to opt into:", select nightly or stable, depending on what you need. Click close.
    4. You now have the correct version ready for updating/use, both in SUAL and the Steam version of Starbound.

How to Update Nightly:

1. Make sure that running Nightly through SUAL actually runs Nightly. If it doesn't, press "Change to Nightly" and then try again. If you still have issues... Post here (but there might not be much I can do). Backing up any folders with "Starbound" in their name is a good idea; I can probably help to fix it beyond that. If all the issues turn out the same, I will make an instruction set on how to fix it.
    2. Update Nightly through Steam.
    3. You now have the latest version of Nightly ready for use, both in SUAL and the Steam version of Starbound.

How to Update Stable:

1. Open SUAL. Click "Ready Stable Directory for Update."
    2. Follow the instructions above to download Stable to Steam.
    3. Open SUAL again if you closed it. Click "Change to Nightly."
    4. You have updated Stable, and are ready to use SUAL as normal.

How to Tell if you are Using an Alternate Hard Drive:

1. Open Steam. Right click Starbound in your Steam Library. Go into properties.
    2. Go to the tab "Local Files" at the top. You should see text near the top, something like:
    Disk Usage: 1426 MB on drive C:
    3. If the drive is NOT drive C: (i.e. drive H: or drive E:) then you are using an alternate hard drive. This letter (H: or E: in the previous example) is the name of the drive, and is required for SUAL to work.

Download:
    0.2.1: Located above, where it usually is. This lets me keep track of downloads.

To-Do List:

- Add graphics to denote whether program is ready to be used.
    - Add support for more versions (Modded, Unstable, etc).
    - Add support for user created profiles, and just have the program download everything to begin with.
    - Add saving functionality to the alternate drive option.

Changelog:

Versioning:
    First Unit (X.0.0): Major version. Alpha/Beta/Full version/Remake-from-the-ground-up transition.
    Second Unit (0.X.0): (Major) Feature added.
    Third Unit (0.0.X): Bugfix(es) or extremely minor feature added.

0.1.0: Convoluted instructions and support only for computers which use the C drive for Steam storage.
    0.2.0: Added support for alternate hard drives, moved around some GUI components
    0.2.1: Replaced Instructions on the Warning-Disclaimer-Instructions window with the current First Run instructions from this page. Added links to this page to everything.

License:

1. You MAY send this to your friends (privately), provided you credit ME, Type1Ninja.

2. You MAY look at the code, and take bits of it, and be inspired by it, and use it in your own stuff, and even publish that stuff, provided you credit ME, Type1Ninja.

3. You MAY NOT redistribute this exact code or code with extremely small modifications as your own, publicly or privately. If you really, genuinely think it should be ok, PM me about it.

Proof of My Permission to Develop This:

Help Me with Development:

Would images help to clarify these instructions?

Are my instructions quality? If you have any suggestions on how to make them better, please, post it! I need all the help I can get! :)

If anyone wants to make a banner, that would be great. Same reason as above logo question.

If you have any other suggestions (check the To-Do list before posting), post them! Once again, I need all the help I can get! :)

Anyone who posts an answer to these questions will get their names in a section dedicated to helpers, which will be organized by question. Thanks!

Helpers:

Thanks to @Owl_Stalker for the AWESOME logo!

SUAL.png

Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.