Several weeks ago, I was browsing through the outdated mods with the purpose of finding some abandoned mod that looked interesting or was still desired by the community, that I could try to bring up to date. Well, I don't think I even made it past the first page when I stumbled across Team SMEE's mod "Starbound: Mass Effect Edition". Not only did it look cool, but it seems different people have been requesting an update for several years.
And now, here I am, presenting to you a working-somewhat-changed-version of that mod. The changes I have made, have largely been aimed simply at getting the mod working again. One exception to this (at least) would be the weapons. The stats didn't translate exactly from the version of Starbound from which the mod originated; and rather than try to replicate exactly what Team SMEE had done, I decided to do a bit of research on the weapons' Mass Effect counterparts, and tune the weapons accordingly. I'm not sure how close I ended up getting, but I'd like to think that the weapons are relatively diverse, at least (and, unfortunately, I've never played a Mass Effect game, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage).
I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by updating someone else's mod (and posting it in a different thread), and I hope that this this will be seen as permissible, since the authors seem to have been absent from their mod for at least four years.
The reason I am creating a new thread is so that I can better keep track of this update, future bug reports (likely), and so that it doesn't get lost in the discussion.
This probably makes the mod permissions section rather strange. Basically, I don't care whether or not someone else wants to use or modify or bundle this mod; but try to be considerate of Team SMEE. At least give them credit where it is due, and don't say they did something that they didn't.
In This Mod:
- 3 new races: the Asari, the Turian, and the N7 Humans.
- 18 new ranged weapons.
- 1 new melee weapon (though, with 4 tiers, and each tier having a different colour).
- 7 new armour sets.
- 1 new ship, the Normandy (used by the new races).
- 2 new techs.
- Various other things...
In the 7z folder you will find the ".pak" file; place that file into your mods folder to start using the mod.
Note that you will need a character extender mod in order to use the extra races (and ship).
For the curious (and other modders), you will find a change log in the root directory if you unpack the ".pak" file.
There are two new techs in this mod. In order to use them, you will need to make use of the two new hotkeys I added: "Activate body tech" and "Activate legs tech". You should find them in the controls menu (where you can change what keys you want them assigned to).
- Originally, it seemed the antalus core was designed to both open the fuel menu, and do something else, right now it just does that something else.
- The S.A.I.L. doesn't play its post-wake-up dialogue.
I'm not sure what to say here, but one thing I will say is that I had to copy/modify the vanilla Lua files "/monsters/monster.lua" and "/npcs/bmain.lua" in order to get one of the techs to work (I had to add a message handler and function to each of them). This is regrettable, but I don't know any other way to accomplish what I did. So this mod will likely be incompatible with other mods that also change those files.
- To Team SMEE, for the original mod.
- To sashyme, for the ship teleporter pad mod: https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/ship-teleporter-pad.3881/
- To Xenowhirl (not from this community), for his program "RotSprite". I used it to rotate an image or two, which it did while preserving the quality (read: not blurry) very nicely. The program can be found here in case you're interested: http://info.sonicretro.org/RotSprite
Team SMEE's original post: Original Starbound Mass Effect Edition
If you find any errors (or know how to fix them), or think some weapon is grossly overpowered (or underpowered) or something else; don't hesitate to let me know. I hope you are able to [again] enjoy the mod!
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Starbound: Mass Effect Edition (Revived) 0.4.1
Team SMEE's mod brought back to working order