1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Sandbound 1.3.1

Putting the sand back in the box.

1. Kaonicping
    [​IMG]

Sandbound

Sandbound aims to make Starbound into a truer sandbox by replacing the rigid questline and tile-protected areas with full building freedom and craftable boss spawning items (among other things). It removes access to the outpost and story missions and instead abandons you in the wilderness of space just like the good old days.

I created this mod because I was frustrated with how some areas of the game have got worse since early access (at least in my opinion) and because I really am not a fan of the the storyline at all.
    Yet I still thoroughly enjoy the main mining, exploring and building aspects of the game, so I wanted to fit the progression and bosses better into this without resorting to instance worlds where you can't break blocks or shops where crafting recipes would do.

There used to be a mod (CLeF) which also aimed to restore some removed features, but AFAIK it hasn't been updated for a long time, hence this mod.

Sandbound removes access to the outpost and replaces missions with boss summoning items and bosses found in dungeons, as well as adding plenty of other recipes to make everything obtainable.

To my knowledge, all blocks and items that can be obtained in vanilla can still be obtained in this mod (but not in the same way), apart from some codices and action figures which wouldn't make any sense.

From version 1.3.0 onward, Sandbound includes an in-game guide so check that for details on how to get particular items or summon particular bosses

Miscellaneous Changes
    -No more unbreakable tiles
    -Every star has a 'moon' type planet
    -Certain objects no longer drop themselves when broken
    -New structure: Penguin Outpost on Arctic planets (may contain a Beakeasy and arcade games)
    -Kluex Shrine (a replacement for Tonauac's blessings)
    -Adult Poptops no longer spawn
    -Mech parts and techs are all unlocked after the first mission
    -All furniture items added to chest loot are now printable

Known bugs

-The Bone Dragon is a bit derpy since I haven't touched its AI apart from reducing its cooldown.
    -Big Ape doesn't use his fist attack (I don't know how to fix this and it's not a big deal IMO)
    -The Ixodoom can occasionally go into a bugged state where it retreats into its shell and the boss bar goes away. If this happens, hit it until the damage noise sounds different (indicating it should be dead), then relog.
    -I can't figure out how to make the peacekeeper drone recipe available, it exists only in admin mode for now (but the drone is buggy anyway so it doesn't matter)
    -Anything else, let me know.

Compatibility

lol

On a serious note, many mods will be incompatible with this. I've tried to minimise changes to vanilla Lua files and do JSON patch operations in the optimal way, but simply because many mods will require you to go to the outpost for example to buy stuff or do quests, this will not be compatible with them. It probably won't crash, but you just won't be able to access some content without admin commands.

Small tweak mods or mods that change mechanics or change world generation are probably fine as well as race mods and weapon mods.

Known incompatible
    -Frackin' Universe by Sayter et al.
    This interfaces with the vanilla quest line and Outpost in so many ways afaik and is such a huge mod that it would be a ton of work to make all its content fully sandbox-y

CREDITS

-Sparklink on CF Forums

Version 1.1.0 and above includes some of their suggestions made in the Modding subforums thread (https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/sandbound.148039/)
    -tigerfestival1988 on Steam
    Helped me find some bugs and gave useful suggestions

Everything else in this mod is either my own work or is copied (with or without modification) from the base game assets, or from removed content that remains on starbounder.org.
    However I have benefitted greatly from the advice and tutorials of others:
    -Unofficial SB Mod Ebook 2.2a.pdf (by The | Suit) (https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook-2-0.2930/)
    -Basic Patching Now With Path Guide [v1.9] (by The | Suit) (https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/basic-patching-now-with-path-guide-v1-9.84496/)
    -Starbound DETAILED Modding E-book v0.7.7.pdf (by Hellession) (https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/starbound-detailed-modding-e-book-unofficial.4743/)
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    LargeDemon likes this.

Recent Reviews

1. orchigannapali
    orchigannapali
    5/5,
    Version: 1.3.1
    The mod is good but I have doubts if it could be made compatible with other mods that also try to eliminate history. I would like to combine this mod and chaosbound and another sandbox mod from apinanaivot and if it is compatible with other sandbox mods {I don't know much English this has been translated With google}
  2. AyyethisisTheH3ntaiBuy
    AyyethisisTheH3ntaiBuy
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.2
    I think this mod is pretty good, altough I am having trouble loacating things such as the airtight seal and other important items. this mod works especially well with universal uncrafter.
  3. tigerfestival
    tigerfestival
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.2
    This mod adds a great deal of freshness to Starbound. If you're bored doing the quest lines and would much rather do things at your own pace then this mod is for you. The mod however is missing many bosses, but with updates more seems to have been added such as the kluex avatar and big ape as recently as this past week, so keep an eye out for important updates. An ingame guide would surely be helpful to many newcomers. Anyway I'm having a blast with this mod in spite of it's setbacks.
  4. ink___
    ink___
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0.0
    good mod, but i can't figure out how to get scanner lol
    1. Kaonicping
      Author's Response
      OK I understand what you meant now, and you unlock Scanning Mode in the starting quest (where you have to get 20 Core Fragments) in version 1.2.2 upwards.
      Thanks for the 5* review. :D