1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Racial Intros 2018-07-28

Unique Intro missions for every race in Starbound!

1. sananab
    RACIAL INTROS
    I thought it was weird that every race used the same protectorate mission. It doesn't lend itself well to lore or roleplaying, and it makes it seem like everyone is the same.
    Once I realized that it was possible to change the starting instances based on race, I set to work on creating full intros.
    I aimed to keep them eventful, but not constricting. I wanted them to be open enough so that a character could be played many different ways with the same mission.

This mod adds an intro mission for all the non-human races, complete with:
    New Instance Worlds
    Radio Messages
    Quest dialog
    New NPCs
    Cinematics

Every Mission includes a:
    Matter Manipulator
    Broken Broadsword
    Salves and Bandages
    Pink Flower

IMPORTANT NOTES
    * It is possible to miss the Broken Broadsword. While I made sure the Manipulator was mandatory, the sword is not. It will always appear in a weapon chest and be pointed at. It is hard to miss.
    * These missions are not tutorials. They will, for the most part, assume you know how to play the game.
    * This mod only adds introductions. The game is otherwise unchanged. The main storyline remains the same. There are like 50 "skip the story" mods out there if you want one.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Can you do an intro for a modded race?
    I will not. These were a large undertaking, so I won't do any more than the vanilla ones. Intros for modded races fall into the hands of either you or the original creator. If you want to do it yourself, I'd be glad to give you some pointers.

What happens if I use a modded race?
    If you play as a race that isn't one of the vanilla seven, you will use the Protectorate mission, just as always. It won't crash though, which is cool.

Is this Frackin Universe compatible?
    It is! Rejoice!

I've found a bug! What do I do?!
    Tell me. I'll fix it.

FINAL NOTES
    If you want to take my mod apart to figure out how it works, go right ahead, I'm happy to help.

In the end, I think the best teacher is the game itself. Nothing in this mod uses any new techniques, just applies tools already in the game. I learned it all by poking around in the assets and modifying things. If you can learn the patterns, you can mod. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you need to troubleshoot.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    Ickura and It's Bowman like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Andromeda_78
    Andromeda_78
    4/5,
    Version: 2018-07-28
    4 Star because
    When i use this mod to play as a human my game freeze and after it it just crash also i test it on any vanilla class but it wont work it just same they crash
  2. Shooterguy1220
    Shooterguy1220
    4/5,
    It always irked me that all your characters were protectors. And this breathed in new life to the vanilla races.
    The only problem is their so short. Now I know this can't be helped. Just making what you did must have been a huge undertaking. But just maybe a few more minutes to each intro would have been enough. I can also understand why you don't want to do some of the mod races but your the only one who is trying. Oh well.... Thanks anyways.
  3. kitsunespirit
    kitsunespirit
    5/5,
    The only one that seems to work is the Glitch? Do the other ones start on the ship..?
  4. Ickura
    Ickura
    5/5,
    Better intro for a sandbox game.
  5. Mooncalf99
    Mooncalf99
    4/5,
    Bit on the short side, but a great idea nonetheless. I miss the sense of personal involvement in the main quest, but it'll probably feel just right for players who'd rather just explore and build.

The Glitch start should probably have the dialogue changed to incorporate their unique verbal tic. I know not everyone likes it, but it's canon.

Some others could probably stand to have a bit more development in setting up the player's motivation. The Apex and Hylotl starts work fine, but the Floran gives no explanation for why you'd want to just fly off in a recently-crashed ship, especially since you might be a bit more concerned with the village on fire. The Novakid one works given their mindset, but is really short. The Avian... I thought Ascension was an honor? Why would they change their mind just like that? Sacrifice would've worked better, I think. Finally, the Glitch could benefit from more buildup, though the main idea definitely works well. Maybe go about daily life until something happens that snaps you out of the simulation?
  6. Armok
    Armok
    5/5,
    a wonderful mod, adds a nice level of racial uniqueness without breaking the lore (although I will say that the glitch mission should be tweaked a bit so rather then a hivemind, you simply become self-conscious as in the current lore)